Another Person Discovered The Joys And Benefit Of The Surfliner Today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seat38a

Engineer
I was on train 785 coming north today from San Diego. There was a lady in line for Business Class and she was on the phone. From the conversation, she had been trying to get to LA but her flight got cancelled and the airlines had been giving her the run around since noon when her flight was supposed to leave. So since the airline could not find her a seat on another flight that was guaranteed for sometime today, she decided to try the "TRAIN" for the first time.

We boarded the train and she asked me if they sold water on the train and if they sold snacks. I told her, there is a cafe car that will open once we get going, BUT here in Business Class, the attendant will come by shortly after we leave with beverages and snacks, too which she was quite surprised. Soon after the Old Town SD stop, our BC attendant started coming by handing out snacks and beverages. It was funny watching the newbie lady take out her credit card to buy the wine. She was again SHOCKED when she found out that this too was included.

Before I got off the train at my stop, I let her know that at LAUS, there is a lounge for Business Class passengers with CLEAN bathrooms and snack and beverages for her to use on her way back, to which she AGAIN gave me the shocked look.

I pretty sure this newbie will no longer be flying to Los Angles from San Diego.

The situation with the newbie lady today brings up a classic problem with Amtrak, where people aren't well informed.

As I recall from my May trip, they don't pass out water/snacks northbound until around northern San Diego County.

By that time, most folks had walked up to where they were placed and helped themselves.

As I recall from my May trip, they don't pass out water/snacks northbound until around northern San Diego County.

By that time, most folks had walked up to where they were placed and helped themselves.
Its all based on time. Noon is when they start the service. Anytime before noon its breakfast items self serve. It might vary based on what the attendant does or if, the Car has a BC attendant. Sometimes, they get off of the train at an earlier station if their train is running behind and then jump on board the return train they are supposed to be on. In cases like this, the conductor or cafe attendant will leave the stuff out, or will announce for you to pick it up at the cafe car.

IMG_0079 by B H, on Flickr

Back