Another Idea for the Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GP35

Lead Service Attendant
Amtrak would need 2 trainsets, 1 could work, but 2 would keep the service reliable.

Extend the Texas Eagle to Corpus Christi and Brownsville. The coach service ridership between San Antonio and these cities would be off the chart.

Are there any connecting trains to Mexico like we have for Canada ?

No, but just for the heck of it---years ago, before Amtrak, there was a through sleeper from St. Louis to Mexico City. carried by the Texas Eagle to New Loredo, (I think it was) transferred to National Railroad of Mexico's Aztec Eagle.

One of those trips I wish I had made.

A much better idea for the Eagle is to extend it out the Baird sub from Ft Worth to El Paso to connect with the Sunset there instead of San Antonio and give all those cities out west rail service again. San Antonio and Houston could get a north/south connection by extending the Hearland flyer south and splitting it in Temple and extending it north from OKC to KC to connect with the SW Chief - in part restores the Texas Chief/Lone Star route dumped by Jimmy Carter.

A much better idea for the Eagle is to extend it out the Baird sub from Ft Worth to El Paso to connect with the Sunset there instead of San Antonio and give all those cities out west rail service again. San Antonio and Houston could get a north/south connection by extending the Hearland flyer south and splitting it in Temple and extending it north from OKC to KC to connect with the SW Chief - in part restores the Texas Chief/Lone Star route dumped by Jimmy Carter.
The Texas Eagle should span Texas, not the Heartland... ;)

Texas Eagle to El paso and Heartland to SAS was actually something I posted a while ago. I like the split to Houston.

However I changed my plan after talking to a high ranking Amtrak employee. This person mentioned the Crescent split

and that KCS gave a positive reaction to such a plan. Ok the Crescent split at Meredian, half to NOL and half to Fort Worth.

Well I say continue the Crescent to El Paso. Or if not El Paso, then ABQ via Lubbock.

Amtrak would need 2 trainsets, 1 could work, but 2 would keep the service reliable.
Extend the Texas Eagle to Corpus Christi and Brownsville. The coach service ridership between San Antonio and these cities would be off the chart.
GP35, I think this is great idea and spoke with member of Congress [Mr. Ortiz] about very idea. I am a little selfish , live in Corpus Christi and go to SAS to get TE for trips back east.

Texas Eagle to El paso and Heartland to SAS was actually something I posted a while ago. I like the split to Houston.However I changed my plan after talking to a high ranking Amtrak employee. This person mentioned the Crescent split

and that KCS gave a positive reaction to such a plan. Ok the Crescent split at Meredian, half to NOL and half to Fort Worth.

Well I say continue the Crescent to El Paso. Or if not El Paso, then ABQ via Lubbock.
That might work, but that railroad has single track and slow. I think it goes up to 55 mph, but the TX rural road can go up to 70 mph, even a stretch of I-10 in western TX can go up to 80 mph!

Texas Eagle to El paso and Heartland to SAS was actually something I posted a while ago. I like the split to Houston.However I changed my plan after talking to a high ranking Amtrak employee. This person mentioned the Crescent split

That might work, but that railroad has single track and slow. I think it goes up to 55 mph, but the TX rural road can go up to 70 mph, even a stretch of I-10 in western TX can go up to 80 mph!
You mean I-20. If the track speed for freight is 55, then passenger trains usually allowed 60 mph or in some cases 65 mph.

Amtrak would pick up a lot of passengers going east of the metroplexr; Atlanta, DC, NYC. However the larger percent will stay regional between El Paso and Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back