Another CZ question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
We have never ridden the CZ and are thinking about going around Christmas time to Chicago.

Want to do the CZ (whole length) one direction - what are the pros and cons eastbound vs. westbound.

Also, would we be better off waiting until spring vacation time in order to have more daylight to see more? Thanks!

Remember...taking the CZ can be a "chance" during the winter since it goes through two mountain ranges. I'm not saying you will not get to where you want to go, but you may have some "down time" on the train. I remember someone talking about the CZ being stuck between two avalanches in the Sierra's for six days one time. We took it in March and it was beautiful!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, we were a little concerned about the weather but we have a $700.00 travel credit that we need to use and are trying to come up with ideas of a trip to do. We have never done the CZ which is why we are looking at it. Traveling around the holidays is always extra stress and crowds. I am considering other routes but this is the top of our wish list.

We took the CZ back to LNK from GSC on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. We were thinking the train would be packed. It was jam packed on Friday/Saturday. But Sunday it was real "quiet". They told us that the train was slow on that part of the holiday and that the CZ would be packed again on Monday. So travelling near a holiday may have a "slow" day on the train. We really enjoyed having the extra room to stretch out. I'm boarding the CZ Tuesday morning at 12:30am to go to WIP (Winter Park) for a 3 day RR trip.

Will you be going to Chicago to visit family/friends or because you'd like to cover the entire CZ route?

If it's the latter, I'd suggest doing a CZ roundtrip to Denver, as you'd be seeing some spectacular scenery no matter how short the daylight hours are. The trip from Denver east is pleasant enough but not very scenic.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have never ridden the CZ and are thinking about going around Christmas time to Chicago.Want to do the CZ (whole length) one direction - what are the pros and cons eastbound vs. westbound.

Also, would we be better off waiting until spring vacation time in order to have more daylight to see more? Thanks!
I belive there would be a price increase in the spring. We are taking the CZ from Chi to Emy in Feb.

I will have ridden the CZ 4 times as of this week. (thats 4 times THIS year and never have ridden Amtrak before 2006) Hmmmnnnnnnnn I wonder if I'm liking rail travel?!? :D I haven't went east from LNK yet. And I'm seeing the AGR is doubling points etc so I think I'm going to book a "one day" trip to CHI and just hang one day there. I can do it on a weekend and not miss work. And if there is a delay coming back, missing a Monday at work is the best day to miss since its the slowest day of the week where I work. There's a hostel in CHI that I can stay at for $30.00. I'll get to see CUS, eat some Gino's Pizza, shop a little and ride the CZ eastward. Is time constraints keeping you from taking it RT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back