Another Article to debunk

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Some of you may have already read this, but I thought this was interesting, especially being in the Washington Post.

Off Track

Tuesday, May 3, 2005; Page A20

TRAINS COST taxpayers too much. Every 10,000 miles that a train passenger traveled in 2002 cost federal taxpayers $200 in subsidies, compared with $6 for passenger jets and $4 for long-distance buses. Amtrak, the main operator of passenger trains across the country, has proposed ideas to fix this madness, and so has the Bush administration. Now Congress has to act.

rest of article

My thoughts:

Every article I read, every person I talk to comes up with a different number on how much the Sunset Limited loses per passenger. First its $300 then its 250 then its 466. But they all seem to agree that Amtrak has cost $29 billion since it started.

Where does the author get the idea that intercity buses are $4 per pax, and carry way more than Amtrak does? I don't get it.

He probably read Joe Vranich's book.

saxman66 said:
Where does the author get the idea that intercity buses are $4 per pax, and carry way more than Amtrak does? I don't get it.
He forgot to add in the government's subsidy to the highways as part of the per passenger cost. He only added the direct contributions to the busing industry.

Back