Another Amtrak / Car Collision

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 1 year anniversary of the Norfolk Service, no less.

That said, I can't muster up a lot of sympathy for a drunk driver that drives around lowered gates to get hit by a train.

Right; the media need to come up with another way of describing crossing accidents as something other than "collisions." Technically, of course, they are, but someone should invent another word that puts the onus squarely on the rubber-tired vehicle that caused it.

The title of teh thread makes it sound like a more dire event than it actually is.
Yes, the title is not very clear. Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to "Norfolk Regional grade crossing collision".

One that involved an intoxicated driver driving around the crossing gates. At 6 AM. Which suggests he was either coming off an all night bender or getting an early start on drinking for the day.

"Drunk driver struck by Amtrak train #174" should suffice.

Maybe: "Another Drunk Driver Struck by Amtrak Train" ... I very much agree with your conciseness, but maybe "another" is needed to convey the reality of the (bigger) story. Maybe not?

Maybe: "Another Drunk Driver Struck by Amtrak Train" ... I very much agree with your conciseness, but maybe "another" is needed to convey the reality of the (bigger) story. Maybe not?
I'm really not that invested in it. It was just a suggestion for a thread title.

I'm really not that invested in it. It was just a suggestion for a thread title.
I read your suggestion as a possible/more appropriate newspaper article title.

I know the media like to sensationalize, but I want to see them tell what actually happened. "Driver hits Amtrak train" is more correct than "Amtrak train hits driver". After all, the train can not swerve to avoid the crash.

I know the media like to sensationalize, but I want to see them tell what actually happened. "Driver hits Amtrak train" is more correct than "Amtrak train hits driver". After all, the train can not swerve to avoid the crash.
Maybe another approach:

Darwin Awards Competition Continues: Car Vs. Train - Car Loses

Maybe another approach:

Since neither a train or car can pro-create, they are not eligible for a Darwin award. In the context of a Darwin award and since the driver survived, the headline could read: "Idiot drives around the lowered gates to try to win a Darwin award, but lives and fails". Yes, that is a wordy headline. :p

Maybe another approach:

Since neither a train or car can pro-create, they are not eligible for a Darwin award. In the context of a Darwin award and since the driver survived, the headline could read: "Idiot drives around the lowered gates to try to win a Darwin award, but lives and fails". Yes, that is a wordy headline. :p
"DUI idiot bypasses train gates in Darwin attempt. Fails"

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe another approach:

Technically correct :-(

try 2: Darwin Competition Continues: Man Pits Car Vs. Train - Outcome as Expected; Advances to Next Round

DUI driver trains his sights on the 2013 Darwin award at a railroad crossing.. Unfortunately, he only received an honorable mention.

NAVYBLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back