Annual Silver Service Trek

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dental Wiz

Train Attendant
My faimily and I will be leaving soon for our annual train trek from Connecticut to Florida. I've personally been making this trip every year since the mid 1970's. These trains have changed drasticaaly over the years. I remember when the Meteor used to carry two diners, a lounge and a sleeper/lounge. Consits would also include 2-3 10-6's, a Slumbercoach, and atl least 1 11DBR car. Coaches could number 7 or more. 17 car consists in season were not unheard of. These were busy, busy trains. They did run an Observation on the Champ back in the 70's. In the 80's they ran Observations on both the Meteor and the Star at the rear of the train on the Miami sections while in the state of Florida. Once the St. Pete and Miami sections were combined, the observation ended up mid train. Remember, they started splitting both trains when they discontinued the Champ under Boyd. Claytor intruduced the buffet cars probably to get dining expenses under control and to efficiently feed the large passenger counts on these train. These cars got the job done, the food was acceptable, it was served on thin disposable dishware with plastic flatware and were ok if you didn't mind the "chow-line" approach.

Today's trains are truly a new animal. Having the heating and airconditioning work most of the time is a real plus. In the old days, it was not unheard of to fry in the summer and freeze in the winter. I do enjoy the Viewliners, although I wish they made some cars with all bedrooms for trains as busy as the Florida services. Today's coaches are high densisty for a long distance train. In the old days, 44 seat coaches were used for the long haul passengers. There usually was 1 high density coach in the consist for "shorts".

Today's lounges I feel are meek at best and not very appealing. As far as the diners are concerned, I'm interested in sampling SDS. On that note I have to say that the food and service in the diners last year was the best I can remember. I'll miss the classic service and I agree with Alan that I question Amtrak's decision to maike this change. Alan's analysis of SDS is very compelling. I can't comprehend how they'll ever combine the dining and lounge services into one car on trains as busy as the Silver Service trains. This I feel, is a terrible mistake and a severe downgrading of service.

I'll report back my findings to this post. Finally, I have to say I miss the Sunday night chats. Perhaps someday these can be restarted.

Have a great week and stay safe out there!

Dr. Steve

My faimily and I will be leaving soon for our annual train trek from Connecticut to Florida. I've personally been making this trip every year since the mid 1970's. These trains have changed drasticaaly over the years. I remember when the Meteor used to carry two diners, a lounge and a sleeper/lounge. Consits would also include 2-3 10-6's, a Slumbercoach, and atl least 1 11DBR car. Coaches could number 7 or more. 17 car consists in season were not unheard of. These were busy, busy trains. They did run an Observation on the Champ back in the 70's. In the 80's they ran Observations on both the Meteor and the Star at the rear of the train on the Miami sections while in the state of Florida. Once the St. Pete and Miami sections were combined, the observation ended up mid train. Remember, they started splitting both trains when they discontinued the Champ under Boyd. Claytor intruduced the buffet cars probably to get dining expenses under control and to efficiently feed the large passenger counts on these train. These cars got the job done, the food was acceptable, it was served on thin disposable dishware with plastic flatware and were ok if you didn't mind the "chow-line" approach.
Today's trains are truly a new animal. Having the heating and airconditioning work most of the time is a real plus. In the old days, it was not unheard of to fry in the summer and freeze in the winter. I do enjoy the Viewliners, although I wish they made some cars with all bedrooms for trains as busy as the Florida services. Today's coaches are high densisty for a long distance train. In the old days, 44 seat coaches were used for the long haul passengers. There usually was 1 high density coach in the consist for "shorts".

Today's lounges I feel are meek at best and not very appealing. As far as the diners are concerned, I'm interested in sampling SDS. On that note I have to say that the food and service in the diners last year was the best I can remember. I'll miss the classic service and I agree with Alan that I question Amtrak's decision to maike this change. Alan's analysis of SDS is very compelling. I can't comprehend how they'll ever combine the dining and lounge services into one car on trains as busy as the Silver Service trains. This I feel, is a terrible mistake and a severe downgrading of service.

I'll report back my findings to this post. Finally, I have to say I miss the Sunday night chats. Perhaps someday these can be restarted.

Have a great week and stay safe out there!

Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve-

Your trip probably couldn't come at a better time, eh, with the current storm making its way through. I am counting down the days until March when I, too, get to make my annual trek to FL...also by train. We have used various routes to get there... Erie, PA (LSL) to NY (Silver Meteor, Star, Palm) to FL...For the past few years though we have lost our connection in NY with a changed schedule. We've done Pgh or Cleveland (Cap Ltd) to DC (Silver svc) to FL and finnaly we've taken the Auto Train a few times. Some of our very best and most memorable family times have been on trains...including a most memorable trip with my mom, 66, months from succumbing to cancer. She (and we) were treated with such kindness and care that I can overlook the occasional ;) surly Amtrak employees I encounter as a result...

Enjoy your fam... Enjoy the trip... LDS is okay, but a disappointment in relation to what you probably had last year.

Today's coaches are high densisty for a long distance train. In the old days, 44 seat coaches were used for the long haul passengers. There usually was 1 high density coach in the consist for "shorts".
Today's LD coaches only add 15 more seats, so I don't know that it's that much more high density. It's certainly better than the short haul coaches that see 74 seats per coats.

Well if the program evolves, there will most likely be two diner lite cars in place of the diner and the lounge, so in theory the capacity will still be there. The question is will it be better or worse than what we do have today?

Finally, I have to say I miss the Sunday night chats. Perhaps someday these can be restarted.Have a great week and stay safe out there!

Dr. Steve
We still have the Sunday night chats, there were about 5 or 6 people in there this past Sunday with me.

PS. Have a great trip and we'll be waiting for the report. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
About the high and low density coaches Dental Wiz was talking about. I think what he means is that the older cars had very large restrooms, one for each sex, with a lounge inside the restrooms at either end of the coach. This made the number of seats more significant, as it related to the amount of stretch out space between seats.

Thus, the difference between 44 or 48 seats and 52, 56 or 60 seats was more crucial because it normally meant the difference between whether a coach could have full length leg rests instead of just footrests.

Small unisex restrooms are something we take for granted nowadays and we also take leg rests for granted these days on long distance trains . Not so in the past.

Having full length leg rests (thus, smaller number of seats) was a sign of superior service in the past . And he made reference to one coach for "shorts", that meant people traveling short distances who did not need leg rests as much as those taking longer trips.

And, all the coaches referred to above are of the "streamlined" type. You would expect old heavyweights to have 68 or 70 or more seats, narrow windows, very little comfort. (but still separate restrooms at either end)

The "lounge" space I mentioned in the restrooms was more like the "smoking lounge" concept.

Today we have can have 60 seats and leg rests because we have such small restrooms. .

About the high and low density coaches Dental Wiz was talking about. I think what he means is that the older cars had very large restrooms, one for each sex, with a lounge inside the restrooms at either end of the coach. This made the number of seats more significant, as it related to the amount of stretch out space between seats.
Thus, the difference between 44 or 48 seats and 52, 56 or 60 seats was more crucial because it normally meant the difference between whether a coach could have full length leg rests instead of just footrests.

Small unisex restrooms are something we take for granted nowadays and we also take leg rests for granted these days on long distance trains . Not so in the past.

Having full length leg rests (thus, smaller number of seats) was a sign of superior service in the past . And he made reference to one coach for "shorts", that meant people traveling short distances who did not need leg rests as much as those taking longer trips.

And, all the coaches referred to above are of the "streamlined" type. You would expect old heavyweights to have 68 or 70 or more seats, narrow windows, very little comfort. (but still separate restrooms at either end)

The "lounge" space I mentioned in the restrooms was more like the "smoking lounge" concept.

Today we have can have 60 seats and leg rests because we have such small restrooms. .
Bill,

Thanks for clarifying my item about the coaches. That's exactly what I meant. Years ago, a 44 seat coach meant superior service. I remember taking the Southern Crescent when it was operated by the Southern Railway. I was a college student then and was traveling in coach. Amtrak traditionally, at that time, ran 44 seaters on most long distance trains. I was used to that level of service. When I boarded the Crescent in Washington I searched the crowded train for a coach with legrests. I was finally intercepted by a trainman who rather sternly asked what the hell I was doing on his train. When I told him, he looked at me as if I was nuts, asked me for my ticket and told me where to sit down in no uncertain terms. Quite a memory.

By the way, that train was packed to the gills. There was only one sleeper-lounge for the entire train and the diner. I'll never forget breakfast that morning. Eggs up, pancakes and grits all freshly prepared....just wonderful! (By the way- I couldn't blame the trainman, he was trying to seat an oversold train and there I was, a young nucklehead, complaining about legrests!.......I still have egg on my face from that one. Oh well, live and learn.)

And in fact, very few trains back East had full length leg rests. The trains you rode were the exception.

And yes,even the Southern Crescent, which got so much good publicity, had 52 seat coaches, thus no leg rests.

One of the neat things about Amtrak when it was new is that with so many trains discontinued they were able to re-distribute the good cars they aquired all over the nation. This meant that trains all over the place finally got leg rest coaches, domes, slumbercoaches, all sorts of neat things.

Of course the price for this was a hodge-podge of paint schemes. I have heard the paint schemes referred to as "the dogs breakfast".....I will say no more on that.

Of course many trains were that way before Amtrak, also, due to interline operations (operated by more than one railroad), spreading cars around no longer needed in their original assignments, etc.

Back to what I mentioned earlier about restrooms. If anybody wanders what an older style restroom was like, it usually had two enclosed toilets, two wash basins, 2 or 3 chairs or maybe a sofa and one chair..

Last edited by a moderator:
And in fact, very few trains back East had full length leg rests. The trains you rode were the exception.
And yes,even the Southern Crescent, which got so much good publicity, had 52 seat coaches, thus no leg rests.

One of the neat things about Amtrak when it was new is that with so many trains discontinued they were able to re-distribute the good cars they aquired all over the nation. This meant that trains all over the place finally got leg rest coaches, domes, slumbercoaches, all sorts of neat things.

Of course the price for this was a hodge-podge of paint schemes. I have heard the paint schemes referred to as "the dogs breakfast".....I will say no more on that.

Of course many trains were that way before Amtrak, also, due to interline operations (operated by more than one railroad), spreading cars around no longer needed in their original assignments, etc.

Back to what I menitoned earlier about restrooms. If anybody waders what an nolder style restroom was like, it had two enclosed toilets, two wash basins, 2 or 3 chairs or maybe a sofa and one chair..
Yes I remember these restroom/lounges well. In addition to the obvious function, many people used these spaces to catch a smoke and socialize. They were also excellent to wash up after a night's sleep and change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back