Animals on AMTRAK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMDF9A

Lead Service Attendant
I just saw a story on the local NBC Affiliate KING5 in Seattle that there is currently a bill before the house that will allow crated animals on AMTRAK train trips of less than 750 miles. It is expected to pass both chambers & be in place by Christmas

David

Seattle

I feel like we discussed this a while ago. Is it really likely to pass the house? Honestly as much as I am for this issue so I can travel the NEC with my beloved dog I feel like congress should not micro-manage Amtrak.

No matter how you look at it, those animals won't be happy. Just wondering what happens if they get stuck, a 750 mile trip is quite long.

There was a news conference in DC outside Union Station yesterday for publicity on the bill forcing Amtrak to allow pets on trains with routes of less than 750 miles. Which would be the NEC and the state supported corridor trains. The Washington Post played this as a humor story in the Style section: Congressmen use adorable dogs to persuade Amtrak to allow pets on trains. Whether this bill is likely to be passed by both the House and Senate, don't know. But the bill could be tied to or the law inserted into the Amtrak reauthorization act.

If Amtrak is required to allow pets onboard, devising rules and making them stick will be a challenge. Will pets be limited to cats, dogs, and small non-threatening mammals? As the Post story mentioned, what about snakes? Tigers?

Since the pets would be limited to NEC and state supported trains, what would happen if a state said that they don't want pets on the train service they are subsidizing?

Read the text:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr2066/text

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th/house-bill/2066/text

It says "domesticated cats and dogs" only. Which is unfortunate, as it should be possible to transport domesticated guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, fish, etc.

The bill applies to passengers *ticketed* for less than 750 miles. Which is an odd way to do it, and I think the only real problem with the bill. On the Cardinal, 750 miles gets you from Clifton Forge, VA to Chicago very slowly, in 18 hours. Whereas the Southwest Chief will get you 750 miles, from Chicago to Hutchinson, KS in about 12 hours. The NEC

The bill is actually quite mild. It directs Amtrak to *propose* a policy -- it does not require it to be implemented.

The pet-as-carryon clause has an all-purpose "where feasible" get-out clause. The pet-as-cargo policy has a "can be stowed in accordance with Amtrak requirements for cargo stowage" get-out clause.

I am pretty sure Amtrak could propose a policy which restricts pets to trips of particular travel durations. The bill is best thought of as a "sense of Congress" bill telling Amtrak to do something to allow pets.

You want live fish on a train? Aquariums would shatter in those box cars, would you put them inside plastic containers or crates with big bags of water in them?

The bill applies to passengers *ticketed* for less than 750 miles. Which is an odd way to do it, and I think the only real problem with the bill. On the Cardinal, 750 miles gets you from Clifton Forge, VA to Chicago very slowly, in 18 hours. Whereas the Southwest Chief will get you 750 miles, from Chicago to Hutchinson, KS in about 12 hours. The NEC
They better be prepared for 24 hours then, with delays factored in.

You want live fish on a train? Aquariums would shatter in those box cars, would you put them inside plastic containers or crates with big bags of water in them?
There are plastic fish carriers. Actually, before 9/11 I saw someone transporting his fish on an airplane in a water bottle...

Seriously, anything you can carry in an automobile safely, you can carry in a train safely, it being a *more stable* environment.

The bill makes a specific point of not allowing pets in non-temperature-controlled baggage cars.

The SWC is actually pretty reliable from Chicago to Hutchinson -- the Cardinal is not at *all* reliable from Clifton Forge to Chicago.

Anyway, mile-based makes no sense, while hour-based would have some logic to it.

The SWC is actually pretty reliable from Chicago to Hutchinson -- the Cardinal is not at *all* reliable from Clifton Forge to Chicago.

Anyway, mile-based makes no sense, while hour-based would have some logic to it.
I agree. Did I read that right that this will only apply to NEC and other corridor trains and state sponsored trains for now? If so that may be more feasible.

Somehow VIA Rail makes it work, not entirely sure how it works but it seems that pet owner is responsible for feeding, watering and what not. It appears an employee accompanies the passenger to the baggage car. I'm not sure how they handle breaks for the pet to relieve itself though.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-info/baggage/travelling-with-pets

Last edited by a moderator:
I know for airlines that carry crated animals (dogs), the airline is responsible to offer water every so often, and food every so often (the law specifies times, but I don't remember them exactly). I was thinking the 750 mile limit was a screwy way around such, but 750 mile trip could easily be more than 12 hours. Which now makes me think of something else... if checked as luggage will all baggage cars now be required to be A/C and heated, and the conductor legally responsible to ensure such is kept functional? Again, attempting to parallel airplane requirements.

There was a story a while back, of a dog that was being "exercised" by an airline employee, but got away, at JFK. I think it was never seen again.

Shoot! My dog died a few days ago. It makes me more sad to think that I could have taken a train trip with him if he would have lived a little while longer. But seriously though, where is a dog supposed go poop.

I know for airlines that carry crated animals (dogs), the airline is responsible to offer water every so often, and food every so often (the law specifies times, but I don't remember them exactly). I was thinking the 750 mile limit was a screwy way around such, but 750 mile trip could easily be more than 12 hours. Which now makes me think of something else... if checked as luggage will all baggage cars now be required to be A/C and heated, and the conductor legally responsible to ensure such is kept functional? Again, attempting to parallel airplane requirements.

There was a story a while back, of a dog that was being "exercised" by an airline employee, but got away, at JFK. I think it was never seen again.
As Nathanael said, "The bill makes a specific point of not allowing pets in non-temperature-controlled baggage cars."

The new Viewliner baggage and baggage-dorm cars will be temperature controlled in the baggage area. So placing pets in cages in the new baggage cars will be an option, although it will lead to a host of potential issues for baggage handling and making sure the pets are ok, watered, and don't escape.

I understand the interest by the Congress people and those with pets in being able to take their small dog or cat on the train. But people are often not rational about their pet. Once the door is open to pets, the crew will have to deal with people showing up with a St. Bernard or a 100 lb overweight Lab insisting that it is a small pet and fits in the cage. People will also take their dog or cat out of the cage and some pets will bolt or go off and explore. Won't take long before someone ends up chasing after their cat or dog in the bowels of NYP.

The Politico story on the news conference stated that Boardman was present. Which suggests that he has been in discussions with the Congressmen submitting the bill, presumably trying to steer it to rules and constraints acceptable to Amtrak.

I can attest to dogs getting out of their collars while being walked at a stop. Our dog did that pre-Amtrak. Luckily my mom was able to catch our dog before the train needed to leave. She and I were in the diner while my sisters were walking the dog. The conductor came to get her and let her know that the train would be leaving soon with or without the dog.

If I were writing this, I'd probably restrict carriage of pets to a duration of hours such that the pet did not need to be walked, exercised, or relieved -- and require that the pet be kept in the carrier at all times. Which I guess makes me stricter than some!

Anyway, the most important thing to remember about this bill is that it directs Amtrak to propose a policy. It does not require Amtrak to implement a policy. So it's best understood as an "opinion of Congress" bill.

I presume if Amtrak changes its pet policy to anything looser than total prohibition, the bill will quietly fade away into nothingness. Whereas if Amtrak stonewalls, Amtrak will probably find that the next incarnation of the bill has "teeth".

I will not take my Archie on a train trip over two hours. It is not fair to

animals to keep them caged any longer without the ability to walk,

stretch or run not to mention bathroom facilities.

:hi: Looks like you Nailed the Perfect Perspective Dick! ;) Caging up Animals for Long Periods is Cruel and Anyone who says Differently Doesn't Know What They're Talking About! (This from Someone who Loves Dogs but Doesn't want to have them Riding in Train Cars with Passengers!)

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree that I wouldn't take my Corky on a long trip.

But I think my Corky could easily last a 4-6 hour trip if timed properly. I mean, he sleeps at home alone from 8 am - 4 pm while I'm at work. I know because I have a webcam that is trained on his crate. So he sits in a crate and sleeps daily anyway.

Certainly there are issues with pets. But I'll just continue to say that I am dreading my drive on Monday from PVD to my parents house in NJ (outside of PHL). I will drive down and it will take me around 5 hours. I will probably drive straight through without stopping, with Corky in the passenger seat next to me. I don't dread it because of the dog - I dread it because I hate driving. I would have gladly taken amtrak and left the driving to them if I could have taken Corky on the train with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back