And the winner is..."Julie"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
"JULIE" NETS MAJOR TRAVEL INDUSTRY AWARDAmtrak’s telephone speech recognition system continues to impress

WASHINGTON — “Hi.  This is Amtrak.  I’m Julie.”

These six words, which have greeted over 22 million callers to Amtrak’s national reservation line over the last 12 months, have become a phenomenon in the travel industry.  “Julie,” as the Amtrak voice recognition system is known, currently provides train status, schedule and reservation information to approximately 35 percent of callers to the railroad’s toll-free number, 1-800-USA-RAIL.
Full news release from Amtrak can be found here.

Glad to see this recognition for Julie. Once in awhile I get mad at Julie but usually she serves my needs quite well. Question. Is she the only "named" reservation center for the transportation industry ? Does nobody else have a "voice" with a name?

It still puzzles me that although Amtrak's reservation center is very "technologically advanced" that Amtrak can't bring this kind of real-time true technology to their stations to provide passengers with train status information. Even some of Amtrak's largest stations (Sacramento, CA is the major one I can think of) lack basic standardized real-time information display boards and efficient automated announcements to keep passengers informed of what is going on. In Sacramento especially, I have had to call Julie to find out what was going on as the agents seem to rudely brush the passengers off. (I know that Sacramento has a board, but have you ever seen it work?) It seems like a simple enough concept that could work side by side with Julie to deliver the information. It would be nice to at least see unstaffed stations get a p.a. speaker installed that Amtrak could program to tap into Julie and make automated status announcements, or use to inform passengers of any unusual delays or problems. Ok, I'm done ranting. Congrats to Jules, though!

:rolleyes: :D

I know many of the stations either have a white board with train departure times, or in Orlando's case they have a digital message board that continually flashes the expected arrival time. On the Julie subject I by myself probably account for at least 1,000 of the calls. :lol:

battalion51 said:
I know many of the stations either have a white board with train departure times, or in Orlando's case they have a digital message board that continually flashes the expected arrival time. On the Julie subject I by myself probably account for at least 1,000 of the calls. :lol:
:lol: , me as well

Sacramento does have a board which has been in testing since they installed it at least 8 months ago. Every day I walk into the station to see if it works and it never does. Occasionally I'll see that the displays on the platforms are actually working but have those worked steadily since they've been in place as well. As for the agents yes they do rudely brush customers aside, you'd think Amtrak brought some NYP agents to SAC or something...

tp49 said:
As for the agents yes they do rudely brush customers aside, you'd think Amtrak brought some NYP agents to SAC or something...
The very first time I visited SAC I wondered why they had the safety glass walls between the agents and passengers. I only had to ask them one simple question (regarding train status or something) to figure that one out. In general the agents there are the rudest I have dealt with anywhere on the west coast. I don't even bother asking them anything anymore - I'll call Julie and ask for a phone agent first!

:rolleyes:

Let's just hope the Starlight never breaks down in Sacremento and the agents have to deal with making arrangements for all of the stranded passengers. :lol: I know when the Meteor got annulled in JAX back in Feb and Orlando was the staqtion to deal with all the passengers, I know I felt good that such a great group of guys and gals was taking care of them.

There used to be an agent in SAC named Issac who was very good, and always recognized me when I came in to buy my 10 trip tickets. However, I haven't seen him in a long time so he probably left because he was nice and effective. I realized why they had the safter glass the day I lost the $1.50 in the SF Chronicle vending machine and they wouldn't tell me who owned it. I'd rather deal with OKJ, EMY or SF Ferry Bldg before dealing with SAC.

tp49 said:
There used to be an agent in SAC named Issac who was very good, and always recognized me when I came in to buy my 10 trip tickets.  However, I haven't seen him in a long time so he probably left because he was nice and effective.  I realized why they had the safter glass the day I lost the $1.50 in the SF Chronicle vending machine and they wouldn't tell me who owned it.  I'd rather deal with OKJ, EMY or SF Ferry Bldg before dealing with SAC.
You are kidding, right? Issac Jones? (a tall, younger African American guy?) This is the agent I can specifically recall dealing with one night I was there. When a few elder passengers asked when the buses would depart the station to Chico/Reno/Placerville, he was very rude to them, and ended up making a hostile announcement over the PA that "the frickin' buses won't be leaving any time soon, so all yall just better sit down and shut up. If you want to come up to my window and harass me I will call the cops in here and have you all taken out." Yes, I remember that one word for word. How's that for customer service? I went up to the window and asked for his name. He refused to give it to me, and of course he wasn't wearing a name badge like he was supposed to be. When I was serving during my shift as a station host the following Sunday over in Martinez I told the agents exactly what had happened and they made a few phone calls and were able to get his name based on the description and times I provided. If this is the same guy you were referring to I am GLAD he is gone. No one with this guy's attitude deserves a customer-service job! Of course it might not be the same Issac based on the characteristics you provided...

I know I sound a little bitter here but I resent being treated like cattle at this station. I, unfortunately, frequently have to make a train to bus or bus to bus connection in Sac to get from the Bay Area to Reno or L.A. area to Reno. Southbound/Westbound seems to be ok, but every time I am going home to Reno I am often stuck at the Sac station for over an hour longer than scheduled waiting for the other train line (San Joaquin or Capitol) to arrive so the passengers from that line can connect to the Reno-bound bus. I understand the need to wait for this, and while it is inconvenient, I wouldn't mind if the agents could at least nicely tell us an expected departure time for the bus. Their hostile attitudes have to go!

I'm to the point where I'd rather deal with ANY station but SAC! On my trips from Reno to the Bay Area (if I can't take the Zephyr) I take the bus from Reno to Auburn and make the early connection there to the Capitol train 527 just so I don't have to set foot on the Sac station.

tp49 said:
There used to be an agent in SAC named Issac who was very good, and always recognized me when I came in to buy my 10 trip tickets. However, I haven't seen him in a long time so he probably left because he was nice and effective.
Many times the agents will bid into another station closer to their home or that is better paying, just as Conductors and Engineers do. I know there was one agent in Deland working the relief job that bid off and went to JAX because it was closer to her house than Deland. So there can be a number of reasons why an agent will bid off a job, especially since there is no "crew base" to speak of, as a zone can encompass many miles of territory.

This is in response to the question about the 1-800-USARAIL and being able to talk to an agent, live person:

When you call "Julie" you can say "agent" and the line will connect you with an Amtrak agent who can then answer your questions. However, during busy times, you might have to wait a while for an answer.

Funny, I don't remember seeing JC's post above or I would have responded to it. Actually, from how you describe him that sounds like the same guy I used to deal with.

Normally when I go to the station it's during times when there are no trains arriving or departing so that might explain why things went smoothly most of the time for me. Having at one time worked in customer service I can also understand his being upset or frazzled but that is no excuse for being rude to the customers at all.

As I said previously though I will not deal with the people at SAC anymore as the people they have working there now are as surly as IRS agents at audit season, not some place I want to be. Now it's strictly EMY or OKJ for me.

jccollins said:
It still puzzles me that although Amtrak's reservation center is very "technologically advanced" that Amtrak can't bring this kind of real-time true technology to their stations to provide passengers with train status information.
Excellent point. On my last trip (Three Rivers), I had to call Julie from the train, as the sleeping car attendant was on break (from 10p.m.-8a.m.!) and I had to find out how late the train was running.

tp49 said:
Sacramento does have a board which has been in testing since they installed it at least 8 months ago.  Every day I walk into the station to see if it works and it never does.
This reminds me... did they ever get that board working yet? :huh:

I'm gonna have a "date" with Julie on Friday. I'll get some extra money from doing the casemanaging in my department on my pacheck, and then Im gonna call her and book a trip on the three rrivers one way, and the Cardinal the otherway for the end of February.

P.S. Thanks Boss, appreciate the extra cash!!! :D

jccollins said:
tp49 said:
Sacramento does have a board which has been in testing since they installed it at least 8 months ago.  Every day I walk into the station to see if it works and it never does.
This reminds me... did they ever get that board working yet? :huh:
That's funny...no it's in perpetual testing.

Steve4031 said:
I'm gonna have a "date" with Julie on Friday. I'll get some extra money from doing the casemanaging in my department on my pacheck, and then Im gonna call her and book a trip on the three rrivers one way, and the Cardinal the otherway for the end of February.
P.S. Thanks Boss, appreciate the extra cash!!! :D
Sounds good Steve. I think your best bet on scenery is to take the Cardinal eastbounf and the Three Rivers westbound. Between Washington and New York (or Philadelphia, depending on where you baord the Three Rivers) you could hop on the Acela.

and i hope your ride on the cardinal isnt as late as mine was (7 hours)!!

hey, doesnt the three rivers have the same route as the old broadway limited?

The Three Rivers has a similar routing to the pre-1990 Brodway Limited west of Pittsburg, but 1990-1995 the Brodway took the routing of the Capital Limited west of Pittsburg via Cleveland and Toledo on the Water Level Route.

East of Pittsburg its the same exact routing.

Amfleet said:
Steve4031 said:
I'm gonna have a "date" with Julie on Friday.  I'll get some extra money from doing the casemanaging in my department on my pacheck, and then Im gonna call her and book a trip on the three rrivers one way, and the Cardinal the otherway for the end of February.  
P.S.  Thanks Boss, appreciate the extra  cash!!! :D
Sounds good Steve. I think your best bet on scenery is to take the Cardinal eastbounf and the Three Rivers westbound. Between Washington and New York (or Philadelphia, depending on where you baord the Three Rivers) you could hop on the Acela.
I would like to get that eastbound ride on the Cardinal, but it leaves on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. So if I want to maximize a three day weekend and not miss a day of work, I usually end up taking the Cardinal WB.

However, this would be a cool trip. After a nice dinner with my girlfriend at a fancy restaurant, I go to Union station, get on the train, and have a good night's sleep in the sleeper, with a full day of train ride to New York City.

Coming back, I board #51 about 9 a.m. and then have a day's train ride again in a sleeper. It will be kind of nice to ride the NE corridor from New York to D.C., and then get some rural scenery in the afternoon. Since I can turn the lights out in my room, I can still enjoy some of the New River Gorge.

Anyway, can't wait to book this one. :D

OH yeah, another sweat part of this deal, some of those teachers in my department think Im gonna share that money. Since one of them has been writing memos about me to the Principal, Im gonna book it in front of her.

Note: the Principal's cool. :D

Amfleet said:
It's always good to be on the bosses good side. I had completely forgot the Cardinal departs from NYC now. So the ride on the Acela is out until the next time. :)
I'll work the acela in next semester. I get a 750 dollar stipend each semester. :D

The boss is definitely on my good side too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back