An unusual passenger encounter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once met a guy on the Texas Eagle who gave me a copy of his book that was basically just doubting HIV’s existence. I gave it away at a white elephant Christmas party in exchange for a wig. For some reason religious fanatics like author books cited above love the trains.

I once met a guy on the Texas Eagle who gave me a copy of his book that was basically just doubting HIV’s existence. I gave it away at a white elephant Christmas party in exchange for a wig. For some reason religious fanatics like author books cited above love the trains.
That sounds a fair bit like my guy, however he was only selling ebooks...

Yikes! I actually was listening to a report on NPR recently that incidents of HIV are on the rise in the U.S. :( Get tested everyone!

Confession: some of the talks I've had with people at the dinner table in the diner makes me glad I have a roomette and can get away from people. (Extreme introvert here). I remember one really rude passenger who basically snarked about everything....asked me what state I lived in, I told him, he said "Oh God, why would anyone live there" and talked about all the hicks and rednecks and stuff. Attacked Christianity, too, and claimed his own "path" of Buddhism was far better. (Every other Buddhist I have known didn't give a flip what faith path others followed. ) I know it tells me more about him than it does about me but it was a really...unpleasant dinner, and had the diner not been full (and me hating making anything like a "scene"), I'd have asked to move to a different table.

Maybe that's how he got his jollies, upsetting young-ish female passengers, I don't know, but it was really unpleasant and I even contemplated eating breakfast in my room to avoid the risk of encountering him again,.

I have met a lot of nice and interesting people, people into organic gardening, one who was a retired campus cop from my undergrad university, someone who did industrial archaeology (studying old factories and the like).....but that rude dude is the one who stood out.

I spoke to Justice Stephen Breyer in the lounge in NYP once (in the lounge, not on the train).

He's an unusual passenger -- a liberal justice on the U. S. Supreme Court.

Maybe that's how he got his jollies, upsetting young-ish female passengers, I don't know, but it was really unpleasant and I even contemplated eating breakfast in my room to avoid the risk of encountering him again.
I seem to have that effect without opening my mouth.

Anywho, I’ve met up with people who unbenounced to me, had crossed paths with me or knew people I’d known. Back in 2015, I was approaching LA when I was seated at breakfast with a woman from Santa Fe. We got to talking and she graduated from the same high school in Michigan that I did, 13 years previous. In 2016, I was traveling through the New River Gorge and had lunch with this couple from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and discovered they know my mom’s cousin. On the same trip, just west of Boston on the LSL, I was sitting behind a gentleman who manned the new fire station a block away from the house I lived in 50 years ago. He didn’t know us but knew the elderly couple down the street that my sister and I adopted as grandparents. Then last fall, I was seated with a couple for dinner on the Empire Builder who live about five miles from me. We rode from Chicago to Seattle together. I gave them my phone number but never heard from them. All those experiences fit in the “small world” category. To add to this all, I rode to Chicago from Holland, Michigan with a couple from my mom’s retirement home....I’d not met them before. I see her all the time when I go over to see friends (my mom passed last April).

On the Coast Starlight out of Portland I was sat with one of Paul McCartney's many agents. That was an awesome meal and I proceeded to talk with him till the late evening in the Parlor Car.

Then two days ago I was sat next to someone who just bought a ticket on one of my PV trips. Small world.

Back