An AU Forum First?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone! We will be staying in Chicago as part of our honeymoon and Al wanted to stay at the hostel. :angry: I wanted to kick him, but since I just had my knee replaced last week, I didn't think that was a good idea. :unsure: Anyone have any suggestions on a nice hotel in the downtown area?
Brenda
The Allerton is right on Michigan - small rooms but nice. The Hyatt Regency on Wacker or right next door the Swiss Hotel. I don't know what the "normal" prices are. I stayed at these hotels with a state government rate.

Congrats to both!

To heck with the hotel in Chicago, rent a Private Rail Car for the honeymoon. What the heck, you only get married once, right? Oh wait, OK nevermind.

I like the OP idea of a VIA RAIL 'moon.

Thanks everyone! We will be staying in Chicago as part of our honeymoon and Al wanted to stay at the hostel. :angry: I wanted to kick him, but since I just had my knee replaced last week, I didn't think that was a good idea. :unsure: Anyone have any suggestions on a nice hotel in the downtown area?
Brenda
Brenda,

We've stayed at the Palmer House and at the Chicago Hilton. Both are nice and both have great weekend deals. Congratulations to you and Al.

A beautiful, elegant hotel. Whether lodging there or elsewhere, I highly recommend visiting the Drake for Afternoon Tea. Relaxing, tasty, and romantic :)
Absolutely! The Drake's tea compares to the best I've had -- perhaps only the Hay Adams in DC is a bit better.

For the more adventurous, the Drake has also served since time immemorial (1933?) red snapper soup. Nope. Not fish soup. Turtle soup. Snapping turtle soup. Great on a cold winter's afternoon.

I second the recommendations of the Drake and the Palmer House, and a friend always stays at the Swiss Hotel. I can't recommend the new Wit Hotel at State and Lake. It's tragically hip with bird songs and aroma therapy in the hallways, and touch-screen telephones in the rooms.

And congratulations and best wishes!

I would just like to add my congratulations!! I wish you a long and happy life together

Steve

Thanks everyone! I would be happier than a Husker after a win over the Sooners by staying at the HI Hostel, but since its our honeymoon, I have decided to scrap that idea! :huh: Nuttin' like spending a night on your honeymoon with 10 other people in bunkbeds in the same room as you! Just think what the guests of that room would think if there was a big sign on the door of the shared room saying, "Just Married" ! :lol:

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back