Amtrak's Standard Policy to prohibit the use of electronic devices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q1: No, since neither far exists. If you're simply using "Viewliner" as shorthand for "single level", there isn't really a difference, the terms are used somewhat interchangeably.

Q2: N/a.

Yeah....it it quite obvious YOU feel that way........like I said earlier, common courtesy is far too uncommon these days.......C'est la vie
It's not a matter of feelings, nor of common courtesy. Do try and keep your contents to the black and white policy as it relates to the time limits (and/or any requirements on consumption of Amtrak-purchased food or use of electronic devices) on the occupancy of the lounge car. As yet, I have not seen anything written down. If such a policy exists as you claim, it would be great to see that.

That has precisely nothing to do with the lounge facilities.
Yeah....it it quite obvious YOU feel that way........like I said earlier, common courtesy is far too uncommon these days.......C'est la vie
The point that Ryan was making is that there is nothing in Amtrak policy about who can or cannot occupy a seat for how long in the Lounge. I don't think you (tony96) have provided any evidence to the contrary. you just quoted a bunch of stuff which has nothing to do with lounge sitting and were called on it by Ryan.

Now common courtesy is a separate matter. It would be nice if everyone exercised such. However, there is no commonly agreed upon definition of common courtesy, so spelling out just "common courtesy" as a policy is just kicking the proverbial can down the road.
I agree wholeheartedly about the common courtesy. One either has it or doesn't. Rules or lack thereof do not apply to those who lack it.

However, my original post stated "your ticket buys you a seat from point A to point B. it does not buy you two of these....not one in a coach car, and one in the lounge." and Amtrak specifically says that:

• Each passenger paying a fare will be entitled to a seat, to the extent coach seats are available.
  • Passengers are entitled to one seat per fare, to ensure other paying passengers are not excluded.
That is a specific policy. I just stated it as such, knowing that pax are free to sit in the lounge for as long as they choose, sleep in it, stretch out over an entire table whenever they choose, or take up two seats in the SSL on the small seats, by placing their laptop, coat, etc over them. They certainly are free to do that on most trains at most times.

That said, just because one CAN do something, does not mean that they SHOULD. I applaud the crew the OP posted about, if in fact, this notice was written and placed by the crew, they seem to have noticed a situation, and tried to do something about it for the benefit of a lot of pax. Good on them, IMHO.

On my only CS trip, we spent a bit of time in the PPC, as did a lot of others, since there were only 8 of the swivels, all of us took turns using them, sitting at the tables, or simply standing while visiting and enjoying the scenery. Even the 86 year old man, who several times got up and moved, so others would "get a chance". At one point he insisted that I sit in the swivel he was occupying, since I had not used one yet, and he would not take no for an answer, so I got my ten minutes in and gave it back to him.

Like I said before, some people have common courtesy, some don't. ;)

EDIT: added "if in fact, this notice was written and placed by the crew"

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's OK for crews to make up rules on the fly, as long as they don't personally impact you, or enforce some perceived sense of morality?

There's nothing that could possibly go wrong there, right?

It's not a matter of feelings, nor of common courtesy. Do try and keep your contents to the black and white policy as it relates to the time limits (and/or any requirements on consumption of Amtrak-purchased food or use of electronic devices) on the occupancy of the lounge car. As yet, I have not seen anything written down. If such a policy exists as you claim, it would be great to see that.
"It's not a matter of feelings, nor of common courtesy. " ----No, I do sincerely disagree, it certainly IS a matter of common courtesy to me, perhaps not to you though. That is OK.....

"Do try and keep your contents to the black and white policy as it relates to the time limits (and/or any requirements on consumption of Amtrak-purchased food or use of electronic devices) on the occupancy of the lounge car." -----Thank you for policing my comments. I will probably not be asking you for permission as to what to post, though.

"As yet, I have not seen anything written down. If such a policy exists as you claim, it would be great to see that." ----As I have previously stated, there is no "policy" on time in the lounge, one can stay there, or nearly anywhere else for as long as one pleases. (Except on the train referenced by the OP, it seems)

However, just because one CAN does not mean that one SHOULD, IMHO. Some folks have common courtesy, some don't, it is just that simple. This reflects in all phases of life, not just in train travel. :unsure:

That said, I applaud the crew who placed the notices that started the thread, and believe that the "lounge lizards" are a bane to the experience of Amtrak travel for the majority of pax. My opinion.

On my only CS trip, we spent a bit of time in the PPC, as did a lot of others, since there were only 8 of the swivels, all of us took turns using them, sitting at the tables, or simply standing while visiting and enjoying the scenery. Even the 86 year old man, who several times got up and moved, so others would "get a chance".

How do you know it was the crew? Whoever wrote that , crew or not crew, did not sign it. It is not "Amtrak's Standard Policy". It is not on Amtrak letterhead. So if it was the crew they don't deserve applause. It is poorly written crap. "No Electronic Devices Permitted", get real!!!

There is a problem that tables are hogged and not availabe for passengers to sit down and eat. And particularly on the Vermonter which has a split cafe, half business class and half tables. People should have common courtesy. It might make sense to ask that or maybe to have a policy with a time limit but putting stuff out claiming policy that is not true, or that can't be enforced is wrong.

That said, I applaud the crew who placed the notices that started the thread, and believe that the "lounge lizards" are a bane to the experience of Amtrak travel for the majority of pax. My opinion.

On my only CS trip, we spent a bit of time in the PPC, as did a lot of others, since there were only 8 of the swivels, all of us took turns using them, sitting at the tables, or simply standing while visiting and enjoying the scenery. Even the 86 year old man, who several times got up and moved, so others would "get a chance".

How do you know it was the crew? Whoever wrote that , crew or not crew, did not sign it. It is not "Amtrak's Standard Policy". It is not on Amtrak letterhead. So if it was the crew they don't deserve applause. It is poorly written crap. "No Electronic Devices Permitted", get real!!!

There is a problem that tables are hogged and not availabe for passengers to sit down and eat. And particularly on the Vermonter which has a split cafe, half business class and half tables. People should have common courtesy. It might make sense to ask that or maybe to have a policy with a time limit but putting stuff out claiming policy that is not true, or that can't be enforced is wrong.
"How do you know it was the crew? "-----I do not know. You are right, it could have been left by a prankster, or the entire thing could be a hoax, as the OP says it was sent to him by someone, not seen by him personally. I have edited my post to reflect these possibilities.

Agree with your second paragraph.

This image was texted to me from a friend of mine, who was riding the southbound Vermonter today (12/27) and found these leaflets sitting on every table in the cafe car:

amtrak-policy.jpg

Thoughts? I've never seen something like these before in the Northeast. Just the suggested 30 minute rule Amtrak Cascades has posted in their lounges.
Someone is going to lose their job thanks to this crazy policy made up on the fly... why do they have power outlets in the Cafe? Why do they have wifi? Why do they have luggage racks (for the supposedly "prohibited" luggage)!

This image was texted to me from a friend of mine, who was riding the southbound Vermonter today (12/27) and found these leaflets sitting on every table in the cafe car:

amtrak-policy.jpg

Thoughts? I've never seen something like these before in the Northeast. Just the suggested 30 minute rule Amtrak Cascades has posted in their lounges.
Someone is going to lose their job thanks to this crazy policy made up on the fly... why do they have power outlets in the Cafe? Why do they have wifi? Why do they have luggage racks (for the supposedly "prohibited" luggage)!
I know there have been regional interpretations and policies regarding cafe vs lounge usage, but Amtrak ADVERTISES the wi-fi and encourages electronic devices. Additionally, the cafe car as an "office" is an advertised and marketed amenity.

Wait!!!! I have it! Is this a new quiet car sign? :giggle:

At any rate, I doubt anyone will lose their job unless someone was crazy enough to try to enforce this.

"It's not a matter of feelings, nor of common courtesy. " ----No, I do sincerely disagree, it certainly IS a matter of common courtesy to me, perhaps not to you though. That is OK.....

"Do try and keep your contents to the black and white policy as it relates to the time limits (and/or any requirements on consumption of Amtrak-purchased food or use of electronic devices) on the occupancy of the lounge car." -----Thank you for policing my comments. I will probably not be asking you for permission as to what to post, though.

"As yet, I have not seen anything written down. If such a policy exists as you claim, it would be great to see that." ----As I have previously stated, there is no "policy" on time in the lounge, one can stay there, or nearly anywhere else for as long as one pleases. (Except on the train referenced by the OP, it seems)

However, just because one CAN does not mean that one SHOULD, IMHO. Some folks have common courtesy, some don't, it is just that simple. This reflects in all phases of life, not just in train travel. :unsure:
The cafe/lounges are non revenue cars, unless designated as such. That can lead to broad interpretations. Absent a written policy, some people go by older policies since their usage was previously defined. That is why I'm stuck n the electronic device portion. I don't EVER remember reading anything close to that. I can see the luggage portion and even a time limit. Those existed at one point. I can remember requirements regarding headphones with audible devices, but not an outright ban on electronic devices.

I guess if you hang around long enough, you'll see everything.

@andersone: I am reminded of a rendition of "When the Saints Go Marching In" which featured a line referring to another person present as a "hero" and then noting that they meant the sandwich variety...

As to the whole situation, the main issue is "claiming non-existent policies as real". As Thirdrail7 noted, there are various cases where other policies have formally existed (and some others where ersatz policies were implemented due to circumstances). With that being said, I've got a real issue with a policy being made up and cited as company policy like this. Had the notice said that this was being done only because of unusual conditions I'd have less of an issue with it (being able to shuffle people out of the cafe if others want a seat to eat is actually, IMHO, not entirely unreasonable for the crew to be able to do...and I suspect there may be, buried in the paperwork somewhere, a clause giving them some discretion on that front if circumstances dictate it). I think the electronic device point is an obvious overreach (heaven help the person forced into the quiet car for want of space elsewhere who needs to take a call!).

So in short: Not a horrid idea, lousy implementation, and definitely some overreach thrown in for good measure...

...which really sounds like far too much of Amtrak in general.

I suppose at the end of the day that those who want to live by the rule book win. Probably why in USA you have to line up like kids to take a train ride... it's a rule. You can hog whatever cafe or lounge seats you want, because there are no rules to say otherwise.

This side of the pond we do expect, and understand, common courtesy... and we prefer that to endless rules and regulations.

Sheesh!

Ed. :cool:

I suppose at the end of the day that those who want to live by the rule book win. Probably why in USA you have to line up like kids to take a train ride... it's a rule. You can hog whatever cafe or lounge seats you want, because there are no rules to say otherwise.

This side of the pond we do expect, and understand, common courtesy... and we prefer that to endless rules and regulations.

Sheesh!

You woldn't know that you guys were any less prone to bizarre rules when you pass through Heathrow Border Control though :p

Sheesh!

You woldn't know that you guys were any less prone to bizarre rules when you pass through Heathrow Border Control though :p
I must admit that it's pretty rich being criticized for silly rules by a citizen of Europe's most prolific nanny state. Pot, meet kettle.

I will say this, the FONT used in the printed handout is EXACTLY what we used to get, some 30+ years ago, so to me it "looks like" it was created by Amtrak, but I highly, highly, doubt that is was.

I will say this, the FONT used in the printed handout is EXACTLY what we used to get, some 30+ years ago, so to me it "looks like" it was created by Amtrak, but I highly, highly, doubt that is was.
I still think it actually may have been an employee bulletin! Since it actually IS standard rules for employees not to use electronics.

Onboard today's southbound Vermonter from St. Albans. Signs are posted at every table and at the cafe car/BC car vestibule. Announcements that the train is sold out and that laptops and luggage are prohibited from the cafe car were made after leaving Essex Junction.

Today's train is in fact sold out after Hartford, so the "sold out" claim has some truth today.

IImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1451487269.665572.jpg

That better be stuck on with gaffers tape, or somebody's gonna be in hot water!

As others have stated, the electronic device policy is stupid, especially if passengers are forced to sit there due to an overflow condition. I can see the luggage storage being an issue. I also feel it's reasonable for passengers who order food to have priority to seats/tables in a cafe car.

After this and the cards issue, Amtrak has a serious problem with customer service. Too bad they have a monopoly or people would be taking their service elsewhere.

Onboard today's southbound Vermonter from St. Albans. Signs are posted at every table and at the cafe car/BC car vestibule. Announcements that the train is sold out and that laptops and luggage are prohibited from the cafe car were made after leaving Essex Junction.
Thanks for the update. As with so many things related to Amtrak enforcement trumps sourcing.

It was a bit spooky seeing the Gregeory Boulevard bus shelter in the picture, just a mile or so from where I live, in Nottingham! The girl and gun incident happened at an "open day" at police headquarters... the girl was hit by the hot cartridge ejected, not by a bullet, thankfully. Shouldn't have happened... good that no one gets shot by accident in the states. How many people died from gunshots in USA over Xmas... lets keep a sense of perspective ? Obviously, or at least to me, police do not respond to a firearms incident with wooden sticks, there are a number of firearms trained officers... but they don't carry guns most of the time. Airport security is another matter of course. Anyway, I can sense that folk don't appreciate my point of view over courtesy, so out of courtesy, I will stop posting on this topic.
So in your view because the US has a gun control problem the UK is therefore not a nanny state full of silly rules? I fail to see the logic in that. It's not a matter of appreciation so much as unavoidable confusion.

Looks like electrical tape to me.
Nah it's gaffer, you can see the fibers from the gaffer tape protruding on the torn ends. Additionally electrical would have a slight shine to it, gaffer tape never has a shine (it's designed that way).

Now why someone on Amtrak decided to use expensive gaffer tape to hang up a sign is beyond me, Amtrak doesn't really have much need for it.

peter

Nah it's gaffer, you can see the fibers from the gaffer tape protruding on the torn ends. Additionally electrical would have a slight shine to it, gaffer tape never has a shine (it's designed that way).

Now why someone on Amtrak decided to use expensive gaffer tape to hang up a sign is beyond me, Amtrak doesn't really have much need for it.

peter
Military spec lusterless cloth duct tape.

http://shurtape.com/cloth-duct-tapes/specialty-duct-tapes/military-spec/pc-625

Not saying that's it, but it's a possibility.

Nah it's gaffer, you can see the fibers from the gaffer tape protruding on the torn ends.
Military spec lusterless cloth duct tape.
I wish electrical tape had sparks and made your hair stand up if you touched it while gaffer tape would always say the wrong thing at the wrong time around the wrong people before being attacked by covert military tape. It's 2015 so if I can't have a hoverboard and flying car then at least give me some interesting household goods to amuse myself. Amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back