Amtrak's Pioneer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with hooking these three trains together is the CZ is never on time which means the other two trains would also be affected. When you put Amtrak's on time record up against all three trains none of them would be able to maintain schedule. The best deal for the so called Pioneer is a separate train using the UP route west after Denver and the cutoff up to Pocatello and finally Portland. I would not even try and run it into Seattle, just use the Cascades connections. The Desert wind would work best as a train that served Las Vegas with continuing service to SLC. None should offer a gauranteed connection to the CZ or each other.

Personally, i would love the Pioneer route -

I currently live a little bit north of Seattle, and i have relatives in Salt lake City & Denver.

A train that directly connects all 3 of these cities would be awesome!!

But, alas, from that report that was linked to earler (http://www.amtrak.co...erviceStudy.pdf)

K. Timeline

Of the many actions that would have to be taken before reinstitution of Pioneer

service, the one with the longest identified projected lead time is the design,

procurement and construction of new Superliner bi‐level passenger rail cars. This

would require approximately four years from the date on which funding is made

available.

L. Conclusion and Next Steps

Restoration of the Pioneer would enhance Amtrak’s route network and produce public

benefits, but would require significant expenditures for initial capital costs and

ongoing operating costs not covered by fare box revenues. While PRIIA recognizes the

importance of Amtrak’s existing long distance routes, it does not provide funding for

capital or operating expenses associated with expanding service beyond current

levels. Amtrak supports strengthening and improving the national network of long

distance trains but will need significant additional funding to expand operations

beyond today’s current services.

Thus, Amtrak recommends that federal and state policymakers determine if intercity

passenger rail service along the former Pioneer route should be reintroduced and, if

so, that they identify the preferred option for service restoration and provide the

required levels of capital and operating funding to Amtrak. Upon such a decision,

Amtrak will aggressively work with Federal and state partners to restore the Pioneer

service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back