Amtrak's Parade Float

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
It was reported that Amtrak's float for Barack Obama's inaugural parade was unfortunately unable to participate.

First it broke down, then was delayed by freight railroad interference.

America's "Number One Commuter," Joe Biden, was clearly disappointed, though he seemed to perk up somewhat when Amtrak conductors went through the presidential reviewing stand collecting tickets and checking ID.

Off topic, I watched the entire parade on C-SPAN, which aired it without commentary. Much better to hear all the marching bands perform before the reviewing stand without Wolf Blitzer, et al, messing up their sound with yap.

All the bands were excellent, but my favorite unit was the Lawn Rangers From Amazing Arcola (Illinois). A drill team of guys pushing power mowers and throwing brooms around. In other words a comedy unit. Plain to see that Barack and Michelle were highly amused, as was I.

In the video they're working on a narrow street, while on Pennsylvania Ave. they used a much wider, tighter formation. After the video plays another is suggested, in which they're all wearing green raincoats.

Hmm, I heard it was a weather delay, due to frozen toilets? Or an HEP issue... *grin*

It was reported that Amtrak's float for Barack Obama's inaugural parade was unfortunately unable to participate.
First it broke down, then was delayed by freight railroad interference.

America's "Number One Commuter," Joe Biden, was clearly disappointed, though he seemed to perk up somewhat when Amtrak conductors went through the presidential reviewing stand collecting tickets and checking ID.

Off topic, I watched the entire parade on C-SPAN, which aired it without commentary. Much better to hear all the marching bands perform before the reviewing stand without Wolf Blitzer, et al, messing up their sound with yap.

All the bands were excellent, but my favorite unit was the Lawn Rangers From Amazing Arcola (Illinois). A drill team of guys pushing power mowers and throwing brooms around. In other words a comedy unit. Plain to see that Barack and Michelle were highly amused, as was I.

The leader of this Lawn Rangers groups was interviewed on the Bob and Tom morning show a couple of weeks ago. He was pretty funny and had a quick wit. Good to see some humor in the day as well!

BTW, I head that UP had the Amtrak Float pull over until all of the other floats were able to pass by. :p

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that Amtrak's parade float is in storage in Bear, Delaware. At issue are problems with the air conditioning system and possibly other systems.

This is quickly turning into one of those things where if you ask 20 different people, you'll get 20 different answers.

Way I heard it, there had been a water main break on Pennsylvania Avenue back in late 2005, and even though the street had long since been repaired and restored, Amtrak decided to suspend operation of the float until further notice.

Amtrak said that those wishing to see the float run the parade route would have to watch another float head Northeast to Takoma Park, and then watch a Southbound float that would go from there to the end of the parade route, bypassing the parade route altogether.

Maybe it was cancelled on orders of Special Agent Pat because parade viewers could possibly take unauthorized pictures of it. :huh: He would be but one special agent with tens of thousands of people to annoy! So many people, too little time. ;)

Amtrak was kind enough to put a service disruption notice in the programs. No alternative floats were available.

On the actual parade though, I was glad to see my South-side counterparts at FAMU get an early spot in the parade, and President Obama ( :) ) mouth the words "they're really good."

I understood the float was from the "heritage" era (former Louisville and Nashville, to be specific) and they could not replace some bad parts at the last minute.

Aloha

My sister, who lives near DC in describing the kayos for the Inauguration made this crack

In honor of Amtrak the Parade start was delayed one hour
Even as an only occasional rider she is starting to enjoy Amtrak trains.

I think I saw the float on the TV today, it was being pulled by a BNSF unit...P42's aren't even holding up for the inauguration!

It was a Talgo float. They had it in for refurbishment and discovered structural issues in the undercarriage. Future Amtrak floats will be Superliners until further notice.

it was a HHP-8 engine and its out with a dead transformer and amtrak and bombardier are in dispute who should pay for the repair

Aloha

Well we still have a bit to go but I wonder who and what will be the 101st post and excuse about the float. :)

it was being delivered via a CSX freight train but the train derailed totaling the float.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back