Amtrak's New Policies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSpike

Lead Service Attendant
I noticed recently on AU there seems to be confusion about Amtrak's new policies regarding ticket cancellation

and baggage rules, partly due to some of the clerk's are not aware of the new rules.

Not sure if it has been covered in here but while canceling a reward ticket today I asked the clerk if she had

the lowdown.

Starting early September (think she said the 5th or 10th) re paid tickets:

Cancellations made 15 days or more from travel date = 10% penalty on refund.

Cancellations made 14 days or less from travel date = No refund or penalty. You will receive an E-Voucher

good for one year.

Amtrak is still working on the new rules for reward ticket cancellations. There old rules still apply: up to one hour

unless there is a bonafide emergency. She started to explain Amtrak feels reward points technically don't have

a monetary value, etc., on how to view cancellations, but I had to cut the call short.

Checked baggage = Each ticket can check-in up to 4, not to exceed 75 linear inches. The first two are free.

The third and fourth are $20 each.

Excess and oversized items are charged extra and shipped via Amtrak Express and their rates.

Carry-on baggage= Two, not to exceed 75 linear inches. As airlines do, purses and laptops don'e count.

I forgot to ask about strollers, etc.

She said it was to get in line with charging as airlines do and also prevent abuse by some pax who were

moving on the cheap. Garbage bags and plastic/rubber boxes are banned.

But I asked for example, what if the train is at an unmanned station at 3 a.m. and a pax attempts to board with

excess or oversized items. Are they going to prohibit boarding if unable to pay? How are they going to charge

for extra items?

She really didn't have an explantion how the Conductor will handle it other than to say at the time of a rezzie

the rules are going to be spelled out.

Internally, employees, mostly conductors and train attendants are being instructed to be lenient in situations of minor excess baggage for up to six months or so. After six months though things are to tighten up more.

At unmanned stations it is the intent that ALL carry-on baggage policies will apply.

Just as an example of how excessive some passengers can get with baggage, this happened a few weeks ago in the NE. A family of four had 35 bags. I believe they were even carry-on. The conductor did his job and disallowed the baggage an the family decided not to travel.

Additionally, a procedure has been put into place that will allow employees to report situations at where previous stops, agents or stations have not enforced the baggage policy. Retraining will be in order for situations that are ongoing, frequent or excessive.

Amtrak is adjusting it's baggage policies for two main reasons. One is that there is simply too much baggage on the trains nowadays. Second is that too many have learned to take advantage of Amtrak's generous checked and carry-on limits and lenient enforcement to move when they should be using Amtrak's Express program.

Internally, employees, mostly conductors and train attendants are being instructed to be lenient in situations of minor excess baggage for up to six months or so. After six months though things are to tighten up more.

At unmanned stations it is the intent that ALL carry-on baggage policies will apply.

Just as an example of how excessive some passengers can get with baggage, this happened a few weeks ago in the NE. A family of four had 35 bags. I believe they were even carry-on. The conductor did his job and disallowed the baggage an the family decided not to travel.

Additionally, a procedure has been put into place that will allow employees to report situations at where previous stops, agents or stations have not enforced the baggage policy. Retraining will be in order for situations that are ongoing, frequent or excessive.

Amtrak is adjusting it's baggage policies for two main reasons. One is that there is simply too much baggage on the trains nowadays. Second is that too many have learned to take advantage of Amtrak's generous checked and carry-on limits and lenient enforcement to move when they should be using Amtrak's Express program.
To your knowledge, do these policies apply to sleeper car pax. that can store all their carry on baggage in their own accommodation? For example, a single person occupying a full bedroom probably has room for quite a bit of carry on baggage. Would they be allowed to bring on what they could carry/handle safely, on their own?

To your knowledge, do these policies apply to sleeper car pax. that can store all their carry on baggage in their own accommodation? For example, a single person occupying a full bedroom probably has room for quite a bit of carry on baggage. Would they be allowed to bring on what they could carry/handle safely, on their own?
I reconfirmed with the clerk I spoke with it applies to all passengers; and EB_OBS pretty much said the same in his post.

The new baggage policy is right on their web site:

A new baggage policy will be in effect starting September 10, 2012. The key changes include:

• Each passenger can check up to 4 bags - 2 free of charge and 2 for $20 each.
  • Each bag in checked baggage is limited to a size of 75 linear inches (length + width + height). Oversize baggage (76 - 100 linear inches) is accepted for $20.00/bag.
  • Luggage must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled train departure.
  • Rates for storage, parcel check will increase to $4.00 ($5.50 at New York Penn Station) per bag for each 24 hour period.
  • Special item rates will increase from $5.00 to $10.00. Tandem bicycles and kayaks are no longer accepted.
  • Each bag checked must be packed within a suitable container; plastic/rubber storage containers are prohibited.

I hope it isn't going to be enforced "to the letter."

As some examples,

--I sometimes board at unstaffed stations with a big backpacking pack that is a bit oversize. But I board with it on my back and it fits in the "excess baggage" racks, and so far no conductors have given me trouble.

--I sometimes check bags at small staffed stations where only 10-15 people are boarding the train. At these places I've checked baggage right up to 15 minutes to departure with no problems, and 45 minutes seems a bit onerous. In big city stations the new policy makes more sense.

Mark

I am very displeased with the new cancelation policy. While we never intend to cancel a trip, there is always the chance of sickness injury or more likely the death of an elderly loved one who is on in years. For instance my wifes father is 90 years old and we have a trip booked for late May/early June 2013. We hope that the man lives forever but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. In the chance that he passes a couple of days before our trip we will need to cancel and be penalized for an event beyond our control. I do not believe that a rigid cancellation policy is fair. Point is that there should be some exceptions.

On the baggage policy I can live with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

I reconfirmed with the clerk I spoke with it applies to all passengers; and EB_OBS pretty much said the same in his post.

Well, not exactly. Neither of you addressed the specific question I asked re: policies applying to sleeping car passengers that carry/store bags completely within the confines of their own accommodation (i.e. not taking up common/shared space in the coach overheads or in the storage rack on lower floor of a Superliner sleeper - and I'm not referring at all to "checked baggage"). But no matter.

Point being, the logic of it applying to those I mention above escapes me. If I'm paying extra to buy a room, and I can fit everything I carry on by myself, without assistance, and store it within the confines of my own room, why should I not be permitted to do so? It's not like I'm taking up any extra space (and, thus, denying another pax. their fair share). The new regulations don't make sense for sleeper pax. There should be an exemption (or a whole different regulation) made for them.

I admit, I for one need to carry on more than the avg. pax.. but only *slightly* more. Being a diver (and, especially, a tech/cave diver), I have to bring a lot of gear with me... expensive gear I cannot trust to be left in my car. But, honestly, it's not that excessive... Two rollerboards (one mid sized), my laptop, and GPS box)... and maybe whatever I bought at the snack bar. That's all! If these polices, as written, are enforced on sleeping pax., I may not be able to use the AT any longer.

A shame, because it really is convenient.

A new baggage policy will be in effect starting September 10, 2012. The key changes include:

• Each bag in checked baggage is limited to a size of 75 linear inches (length + width + height). Oversize baggage (76 - 100 linear inches) is accepted for $20.00/bag.
  • Rates for storage, parcel check will increase to $4.00 ($5.50 at New York Penn Station) per bag for each 24 hour period.
  • Special item rates will increase from $5.00 to $10.00. Tandem bicycles and kayaks are no longer accepted.
  • Each bag checked must be packed within a suitable container; plastic/rubber storage containers are prohibited.
OK, except my main travel is on the AT, and there is no such thing as "checked baggage" on the AT. None of this should apply. And I reiterate my position in re: carry ons. Sleeping car pax. should be allowed to carry on whatever they can handle on their on as long as it can be contained within their accommodation. One cannot even argue that it adds extra weight/fuel costs to the train (which could be argued for trains other than the AT), as if it were not carried on, it would still be stored in the pax's. car.

BTW, FTR, this would not affect me on any other trains (i.e. other than the AT), because I would never take them for diving, and would not need to carry as much on board.

The AT is a totally different situation, one where most people have no need to bring 42 suitcases onboard in the first place. They can just leave it in their auto.

So I would not expect any major changes on the AT, especially if you're not seeking help from any Amtrak employee.

I still find their cancellation and baggage policies very lenient, especially when compared to airlines. And I doubt that they'll fall hard and fast.

Considering that I can't cancel most fares on airlines even a year in advance, it sounds good to me.

Well, not exactly. Neither of you addressed the specific question I asked re: policies applying to sleeping car passengers that carry/store bags completely within the confines of their own accommodation (i.e. not taking up common/shared space in the coach overheads or in the storage rack on lower floor of a Superliner sleeper - and I'm not referring at all to "checked baggage"). But no matter.

Point being, the logic of it applying to those I mention above escapes me. If I'm paying extra to buy a room, and I can fit everything I carry on by myself, without assistance, and store it within the confines of my own room, why should I not be permitted to do so? It's not like I'm taking up any extra space (and, thus, denying another pax. their fair share). The new regulations don't make sense for sleeper pax. There should be an exemption (or a whole different regulation) made for them.

I admit, I for one need to carry on more than the avg. pax.. but only *slightly* more. Being a diver (and, especially, a tech/cave diver), I have to bring a lot of gear with me... expensive gear I cannot trust to be left in my car. But, honestly, it's not that excessive... Two rollerboards (one mid sized), my laptop, and GPS box)... and maybe whatever I bought at the snack bar. That's all! If these polices, as written, are enforced on sleeping pax., I may not be able to use the AT any longer.

A shame, because it really is convenient.

OK, except my main travel is on the AT, and there is no such thing as "checked baggage" on the AT. None of this should apply. And I reiterate my position in re: carry ons. Sleeping car pax. should be allowed to carry on whatever they can handle on their on as long as it can be contained within their accommodation. One cannot even argue that it adds extra weight/fuel costs to the train (which could be argued for trains other than the AT), as if it were not carried on, it would still be stored in the pax's. car.

BTW, FTR, this would not affect me on any other trains (i.e. other than the AT), because I would never take them for diving, and would not need to carry as much on board.
You:

Me:

You:

Well, not exactly. Neither of you addressed the specific question I asked re: policies applying to sleeping car passengers that carry/store bags completely within the confines of their own accommodation (i.e. not taking up common/shared space in the coach overheads or in the storage rack on lower floor of a Superliner sleeper....

I understand your wishful thinking, but see my response.

The operative words are ALL PASSENGERS (coach and sleeper) are subject to the new rules.

I understand the the new refund policy could be a pain, but consider this.

At one time some tour group operators were abusing the liberal refund policy. They'd buy up the low bucket fares as soon as offered and if they did not end up using them all, they could get a full refund. With the new policies, this is no longer a no risk game. In this case the new policy is to the benefit of us regular folk.

You:

Me:

You:

Well, not exactly. Neither of you addressed the specific question I asked re: policies applying to sleeping car passengers that carry/store bags completely within the confines of their own accommodation (i.e. not taking up common/shared space in the coach overheads or in the storage rack on lower floor of a Superliner sleeper....

I understand your wishful thinking, but see my response.

The operative words are ALL PASSENGERS (coach and sleeper) are subject to the new rules.
But I never saw those "operative words" ALL PASSENGERS in yours (or EB_OBS's) original posts. Otherwise, I never would have asked the question :excl:

But, again, it doesn't matter. As Alan suggests, things may run a bit differently on the AT (which has no checked baggage). And on the other trains, it won't matter because I won't need to carry more than is permitted per these updated policies.

End of public discussion for me. If you wish to discuss further, feel free to PM me.

I understand the the new refund policy could be a pain, but consider this.

At one time some tour group operators were abusing the liberal refund policy. They'd buy up the low bucket fares as soon as offered and if they did not end up using them all, they could get a full refund. With the new policies, this is no longer a no risk game. In this case the new policy is to the benefit of us regular folk.
Travel agents have never been subjected to the same rules and the general public has. And I've seen nothing that suggests that these new rules for us, will apply to travel agents and tour operators.

The main thing which has been utterly unclear has been the new "exchange" policy.

I always expect to travel more on Amtrak in the future, so I'm generally happy to get a voucher. I would *not* be happy with a 10% penalty. Suppose I cancel my reservation for an eVoucher: no penalty, ever, I hope?

----

The thing which is clear in the published baggage rules, although nobody's mentioned it, is that the following are exempted from the carry-on limit entirely:

- required medical devices (so, your CPAP machine, oxygen tanks, wheelchair, cane, etc.) -- this exemption is probably ADA-mandatory, and is certainly in the spirit of the ADA

- pillows and blankets for use on the train -- important for me since I'm allergic to Amtrak's pillows!

We have often ended up having a pile of carryons due to this sort of stuff. Apparently we're still legal. :) It can be impossible to get it all into a Superliner sleeper compartment (it always fits in the Viewliner), so I'll be happy if the new policies mean that other passengers are putting less stuff into the downstairs rack.

----

Now, in the spirit of history, I will point out that trains in the Victorian era often had *enormous* baggage compartments, because people took far, far more baggage on trips than we do now. Perhaps if people are returning to this practice, rather than merely replacing the checked baggage cars, Amtrak should expand the fleet, and expand the number of stations offering it!

The note in the policies that more than four bags can be checked "as Amtrak Express" is interesting. Because this allows for *almost* arbitrary amounts of baggage to be shipped, but what desk do you go to in order to send it?

Amtrak Express has not caught up to the 21st century: rates, and schedules at each station, are only available by phone, not on the web. Shipping time quotes are apparently also only available by phone -- huh? (One assumes that the express parcels get delayed if the baggage car fills up with checked baggage, which is why the time quote would matter.) And there is one nasty exception to the 'arbitrary amounts' statement: Amtrak Express doesn't originate shipments at NY Penn. So if you're in New York (probably with no car) with piles of stuff to ship, you have to carry it to Newark (by PATH, I suppose), which is probably enough to make you use UPS, FedEx, or the Post Office.

Perhaps Amtrak Express -- or even baggage service in general -- should be the next target for Amtrak's IT improvement programs, which have so far involved schedules, ticket purchases, ticket checking, onboard services, accounting, and rolling stock maintenance & repair tracking.

I noticed recently on AU there seems to be confusion about Amtrak's new policies regarding ticket cancellation

and baggage rules, partly due to some of the clerk's are not aware of the new rules.

Not sure if it has been covered in here but while canceling a reward ticket today I asked the clerk if she had

the lowdown.

Cancellations made 14 days or less from travel date = No refund or penalty. You will receive an E-Voucher

good for one year.

Amtrak is still working on the new rules for reward ticket cancellations. There old rules still apply: up to one hour

unless there is a bonafide emergency. She started to explain Amtrak feels reward points technically don't have

a monetary value, etc., on how to view cancellations, but I had to cut the call short.

Checked baggage = Each ticket can check-in up to 4, not to exceed 75 linear inches. The first two are free.

Excess and oversized items are charged extra and shipped via Amtrak Express and their rates.

Carry-on baggage= Two, not to exceed 75 linear inches. As airlines do, purses and laptops don'e count.

She said it was to get in line with charging as airlines do and also prevent abuse by some pax who were

But I asked for example, what if the train is at an unmanned station at 3 a.m. and a pax attempts to board with

excess or oversized items. Are they going to prohibit boarding if unable to pay? How are they going to charge

for extra items?

She really didn't have an explantion how the Conductor will handle it other than to say at the time of a rezzie

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but... Is it possible to get a full voucher with a cancellation made 15 days or more from travel date? I asked at USA-RAIL and the lady didn't seem to know, then said yes. Not sure I trust her, was wondering if anyone here has tried it yet. The other option appears to be wait till inside that 15 day time frame and get the full voucher. I'm planning on booking a roomette for a trip next fall, but I want to make sure that I can alter the ticket, or if necessary cancel completely. I WILL travel within a year so there's no problem with a voucher. Just don't have $20 to lose on the deal. :lol: Editted to add, yes, I'll be paying real cash, not points. This would be to get me from CIN to CHI on the Card where I'll start my AGR trip the following day.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but... Is it possible to get a full voucher with a cancellation made 15 days or more from travel date? I asked at USA-RAIL and the lady didn't seem to know, then said yes.
I am told yes by multiple sources. Haven't tried it personally.

Thanks, not that I intend to cancel or alter my plans, I just like to know before I book. :rolleyes:

I am very displeased with the new cancelation policy. While we never intend to cancel a trip, there is always the chance of sickness injury or more likely the death of an elderly loved one who is on in years. For instance my wifes father is 90 years old and we have a trip booked for late May/early June 2013. We hope that the man lives forever but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. In the chance that he passes a couple of days before our trip we will need to cancel and be penalized for an event beyond our control. I do not believe that a rigid cancellation policy is fair. Point is that there should be some exceptions.

On the baggage policy I can live with that.
If you explain your situation to the CSR, they'll give you a full refund. They can choose "hardship" as the reason. I just did this a week ago when I asked if there was any way to get around the voucher.

the lowdown.

good for one year.

for extra items?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but... Is it possible to get a full voucher with a cancellation made 15 days or more from travel date? I asked at USA-RAIL and the lady didn't seem to know, then said yes. Not sure I trust her, was wondering if anyone here has tried it yet. The other option appears to be wait till inside that 15 day time frame and get the full voucher. I'm planning on booking a roomette for a trip next fall, but I want to make sure that I can alter the ticket, or if necessary cancel completely. I WILL travel within a year so there's no problem with a voucher. Just don't have $20 to lose on the deal. :lol: Editted to add, yes, I'll be paying real cash, not points. This would be to get me from CIN to CHI on the Card where I'll start my AGR trip the following day.
A 100% voucher for future travel is always an option for travel cancelled anytime prior to departure. Only refunds are, in some cases, restricted.

They really need to figure out how to redeem evouchers online and over the phone. Those of us living hours from a staffed station really lose out with this new policy.

Even those of us living near a station are put out - this isn't the 1920's, I shouldn't have to wander down to the local train station to buy a ticket.

(yes, I do get your point that it's a lot worse for you guys that live far away from a station, just pointing out that it isn't all sunshine and roses for those of us that live nearby)

Yes, I did exactly what you're asking about. I canceled a ticket with a roomette more than 15 days out and got my entire purchase price in an e-voucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back