Amtrak's luggage policy.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Train Attendant
My very best to everyone! I am new here as this will be my very first post. I've been a passenger train enthusiast since childhood...the ONLY way to travel.....but I do have a question. Can anyone tell me how strict is Amtrak about this new policy of restricting carry on luggage size of 28"x22" ????? I'm taking the family from Chicago to San Francisco(Emeryville) on the California Zephyr in just a few short days, then on to Fisherman's Wharf (Pier39) for our stay. Any info. would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Rick,

Welcome. :) It's unlikely that you'll find the conductor/crew member standing there with a measuring tape and telling you that you're a half an inch over the limit.

If your bag is over by an inch or so in one maybe two directions, no one is probably going to give you a hard time over it. Especially if you don't require any assistance to help get the bag on board and/or into a luggage rack.

On the other hand, if your bag is several inches larger than the limit, to the point of it being easily visible that you're over the limit, then you may get hassled.

Don't forget though, depending on where you're boarding, that you may have the option of checking larger bags.

Thanks Alan...All of our luggage will meet Amtrak's guidelines save for one which is 32" in length. It would really be handy to take........but.........who needs any hassles! This trip is all about fun and hassles need to be kept at a minimum....so.....I guess it's off to the store to pick up another bag or two, not that big of a deal. Also, I must mention that a dream will be realized with this trip. I've traveled many times in Superliner equipment, but always in an economy bedroom. This time our family of four will have the deluxe bedroom suite.......I'm like a kid on Christmas eve!!!!! We've had the trip booked for 6 months and now we're only 4 days away!!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!! :)

32" is not a big deal - go ahead and take it. No one will hassle you over that. As I mentioned in another post just a day or two ago on this forum to someone with the same question, the thing the Amtrak folks are tyring to avoid hauling is six foot long body-bag size luggage. It has been a problem in the past and the leniency on luggage rules was just severely abused. It was to the point where some people were using Amtrak as their movers, bringing lots of suitcases and boxes on board with them. In reality, any rolling suitcase should be just fine, especially if it is not packed extremely heavy just in case you might need an Amtrak crew member to help you move it. Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

JC.......What you are saying makes perfect sense! As that 32" wheeled suitcase is so handy, maybe I will take it after all. Thanks for your input. You put my mind to rest. Thanks again....Rick

Back