Amtrak's confusing refund policy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickIronton

Train Attendant
I requested a refund and my choices were a full refund evoucher or a refund of the amount less 20%.

I choice the evoucher.

When I checked my online Amtrak account for evouchers, it was noted that I could receive a full refund, so I called the refund department and was promptly issued a full refund to my credit card with no penalty.

So my advice is to always take the evoucher and then request a full refund, which seems perfectly acceptable to Amtrak.

Am I missing something about Amtrak's refund policy?

eVouchers can be refundable, non-refundable, or a combination of the two. Even a refundable eVoucher can include a 20% fee if a cash refund is later requested.

Before going down the route of requesting an eVoucher, and you're really planning a 100% cash refund, I would definitely double check the type of eVoucher you would be getting.

Also, I think the 20% penalty has a $100 limit per ticket. Without the limit, there could be a big difference if the ticket is a multiple train, Long Distance ticket with accommodation fares verses a single train one way coach ticket.

Back