Amtrak with no Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GP35

Lead Service Attendant
without-sunset.JPG

Every cross country would need to go through Chicago.

Atl to LA

NOL to LA

SAS to NOL

SAS to LA

Florida to LA

SAS to Fla

SAS to Sacramento

Awful...

SCARY SCENARIO !!!!!
Don't even let anyone from AMTRAK see that !!!
It is scary - but, look at the large area between the CZ and EB routes, especially South Dakota and Wyoming. Just as big an area as what would happen if no SSL. And, that area has been that way for years.

I highly doubt Amtrak is considering canceling the Sunset outright. Also, I think it likely that if they DID cancel the Sunset completely, that the Texas Eagle would resume California service.

I highly doubt Amtrak is considering canceling the Sunset outright. Also, I think it likely that if they DID cancel the Sunset completely, that the Texas Eagle would resume California service.
Quite right on both accounts. GP, you may want to consider revising the graphic posting to say that it's only a hypothetical and that it's not an official map from Amtrak. Some folks reading the board might get confused.

-Rafi

2 coaches can't drive themselves.... Besides what kind of service is 2 coaches tri-weekly. :p

At one point in the not-too-distant past, the Texas Eagle was triweekly, and ran from Chicago to LAX on every run. It basically made, from what I understand, service on the Sunset route west of SAS daily- or rather, 6 days a week. When the Texas Eagle went daily, they made it do so partially by cutting service to LAX from every run to the days the Sunset was running, or something like that.

If the Sunset was cancelled, most likely some of the trainsets running on it would go to making the Texas Eagle either daily from LAX to CHI or running on its current schedule, but the entire consist making the trip in lieu of a connection to the Sunset Limited.

That being said, I sincerely doubt Amtrak is going to kill the Sunset. I also suspect that in the not-too-distant future, you are going to see a train running on the missing portion of the southern transcon. Whether that will be a trough train called "Sunset Limited" or a seperate train entirely is open to debate.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I love the Idea of Sunset east of NOL, the Gulf Breeze should be brougtht back.

Leaving NOL at 8am.

I'd rather it run overnight and leave NOL around 8-10 PM, thus ensuring a same-day connection with the other NOL trains. It can thus also ensure a same day connection in Florida with a Silver train in both directions, completing a thorough national network.

GP35 is an maniacal Sunset Advocate, apparently. He seems to think Amtrak has it in for the sunset or something. I dunno.

Thanks, Im an advocate for keeping it too, but he went through a lot of effort with that map. That was a nice map.

No disrespect meant to anybody, just was worried about losing a train.

Maybe a map showing only those routes which have daily service in each direction would be a useful thing to have, though, with routes with less frequent service shown with dotted lines or something.

At one point in the not-too-distant past, the Texas Eagle was triweekly, and ran from Chicago to LAX on every run. It basically made, from what I understand, service on the Sunset route west of SAS daily- or rather, 6 days a week. When the Texas Eagle went daily, they made it do so partially by cutting service to LAX from every run to the days the Sunset was running, or something like that.
There was a period when the Texas Eagle ran through on 4 days to LAX. Three of those days were with the Sunset and one day was all by itself. I don't have any timetable that shows the Texas Eagle running through on three days that were different from the Sunset's three days. But then that may be because I missed a timetable in my vast collection. Could you perhaps mention the time period when the Sunset route effectively ran six times a week between SAS and LAX, so that I can go and get me a copy of a timetable from that period to make my collection more complete? Thanks GML!

I don't think Sunset will be cut. I think a 4th train or maybe daily is coming soon. A few years ago

Sunset came very very very close to be killed. I was surprised at the attitudes of many pro-passenger

rail advocates agreeing it should be killed to better other trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back