Amtrak Water

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter chlorine? Do reasearch. Chlorine is not easily filtered- the only effective method is really distillation.

Secondly, there may be some truth to what doesn't kill a teenager makes them healthier. It may make the populatiOn in general healthier, by killing the weak. It does not make you healthier. I am weaker and more damaged after every major illness. Really bad illnesses, especially resperatory, often do damage from which you will likely never completely recover.

Now about food/water borne germs. Stop with this nonsense. Also, stop using cash. I wish money laundering was encouraged rather then illegal. Nothing, but nothing, is dirtier then money. I got sick all the time until I started sanitizing my hands whenever I tendered customers filthy, disgusting, often gross, money.

There are dangers everywhere. I have, on several occasions, bought bottled water that grew mold. Amwater tastes weird. So? If you dont use it for other reasons besides taste, you need a shrink. We call it paranoia.
Ummm... A cursory check from multiple sources show that activated carbon is used to remove chlorine (ie: filter) from water. Do research. In fact, chlorine is often natually removed by evaporation by just sitting out for a day or so. According to one site, distillation isn't used to remove chlorine except when used with an activated carbon filter.

But I digress. Water is added to Amtrak trains from municiple potable (ie: drinkable) municipal water supplies and should therefore never be the cause of illness in train passengers. However, there is no sealed method by which to fill the tanks. They essentially turn on a garden hose and fill the tanks up with them. Anything else can sneak in when the tank is open.

Sidebar: Many restaurants have horrible drinking water. It's generally not the fault of the water supply, but in an effort to provide better tap water to customers, they install large, expensive water filters. These generally never get looked at again because to replace the filter costs a couple hundred dollars. I remember when a new Cracker Barrel manager took over, the first thing he did was change the water filter and it made a HUGE difference.

Back on topic: I don't know if Amtrak has filters (either activated carbon, reverse osmosis, or even just a crap trap), but if they do, I would be willing to guess they don't change them often, if at all. A stale filter can be more damaging, health wise, than using no filter at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is the AmWater from the AmFaucets that they will be testing. That is why I never use it, if I can.

Why do you think AmCoffee has that "special" taste to it?
huh.gif
I'm almost sure they do not use bottled water in the coffee pot!
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, but if they boil the coffee like most of those urns do....bacteria should not be a problem, they won't survive it! :giggle:

Yeh, people are getting too fussy. Yeh, if there's lead in it or toxic chemicals (polluted ground water). But to avoid purified water from city systems is going too far. Never drunk anything else in the last 67 years. Feel privileged to live in cities where the job is done right and industry is responsible. In any case, I think you'd need to ride trains weekly to even risk the slightest problem. Me, I'm lucky to get on one once a year. That level of exposure is infinitessimal.

Yeh, people are getting too fussy. Yeh, if there's lead in it or toxic chemicals (polluted ground water). But to avoid purified water from city systems is going too far. Never drunk anything else in the last 67 years. Feel privileged to live in cities where the job is done right and industry is responsible. In any case, I think you'd need to ride trains weekly to even risk the slightest problem. Me, I'm lucky to get on one once a year. That level of exposure is infinitessimal.
I agree. We have become a nation of bacterio-nuts. Life is meant to be enjoyed, not worried about.

You got me by 2 years but I am catching up. (When you were 4, I was 2 - half your age. Now I am .97 of your age).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back