Amtrak vs VIA, Eurrail, and others

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I have just returned from a Eurrail trip to Europe, and have noticed I know nothing about how these trains came to be. So with all the problems Amtrak is having, how do they compare with other countries and their systems?

VIA in Canada pretty much runs the entire Canadian network. Do they have funding problems? Is there lots of critiisim with their long distance routes, saying they loose tons of money. Now the Canadian runs only 3 times per week too. Is this a tourist train or a train that takes people where they need to go? Is the Canadian government trying to privatize these routes?

Britain. I hear they privatized their routes. Was that a good move? Does it make money? How much was poured into it.

France. ahh the forefront of highspeed technology. TGV's race across the landscape at speeds up to 186 mph in utmost comfort and service. Is this a private company like SNCF. or does France run it under one name or company? If it does, sounds like a monopoly to me.

Spain has RENFE. Another monopoly? Do they make money.

...Well you get my drift. Pretty much compare Amtrak to other countries. Thanks

Chris

The Canadian is operated much the way long distance trains are in this country. It is definately real transportation for real people, not just tourists going along to gawk (llike myself). It makes various stops. Many flag stops.

A crewman told me that hunters and fisherman have been known to flag it down out in the wilderness. And that it has been used to transport very isolated peple to the nearest hospital. Thus, it serves genuine transportation needs, and goes places where nothing else goes__--though, of course it is ideal for a tourist as well.

I am certain there are funding problems but I sort of think VIA is more loved by a larger PERCENTAGE of government officials than is Amtrak.

Bill - I believe you have ridden The Canadian, as I just did a few weeks ago. The actual timetable says, "stops on request with 48 hours notice"

I don't recall us stopping once other than at scheduled stops, maybe in the night when I was asleep. I noted at the time that it was a long time between stops (except on sidings waiting for a freight) and wondered how the smokers were going to make it.

I had a chance to speak with one VIA employee who told me that it was his understanding that 2005 was the last year the Canadian government would subsidize VIA. They are supposed to be on their own starting in 2006.

I guess that can be taken for what its worth.

Tom

Bill Haithcoat said:
A crewman told me that hunters and fisherman have been known to flag it down out in the wilderness.
Really, so like they could just be standing by the tracks and get picked up?

Cool!

I do know the timetable says "48 hours notice" but I am referring to stops which are not even listed in the timetable.

No, it did not make any such completely unlisted stops while I was aboard either, so far as I know. But I was told that it does happen. Hunters might even start a fire to attract attention, or have flares of some sort with them and flag it down.(out in the woods/mountains, not even at a town, is what I mean)

You can see miles ahead in that wilderness, and it was told to me for the truth, by the attendant in the Park car. Whether it is "legal", I have no idea. Maybe the conductor is granted a certain amount of discretion. Whether it happens very often, I was not told.

FWIW, we actually made very few of the "official" flag stops, the ones listed in the timetable, in either direction, on my trip.

I do know the timetable says "48 hours notice" but I am referring to stops which are not even listed in the timetable.
No, it did not make any such completely unlisted stops while I was aboard either, so far as I know. But I was told that it does happen. Hunters might even start a fire to attract attention, or have flares of some sort with them and flag it down.(out in the woods/mountains, not even at a town, is what I mean)

You can see miles ahead in that wilderness, and it was told to me for the truth, by the attendant in the Park car. Whether it is "legal", I have no idea. Maybe the conductor is granted a certain amount of discretion. Whether it happens very often, I was not told.

FWIW, we actually made very few of the "official" flag stops, the ones listed in the timetable, in either direction, on my trip.
I agree with what you are saying. I'm sure they would have to have some system for emergencies, etc. Maybe there are ways they can radio the train staff.

When we rode the Alaska RR a few years ago, they did stop out in the middle of nowhere a couple of times and let off or picked up locals, sometimes right at the driveway entrance to someones home. That's service!!!

Back