"Amtrak Virginia" Offically up and running

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philzy

Train Attendant
Just found this while looking for news on Amtrak in VA.

Amtrak Virginia

It seems to be a new website in partner ship with the Virginia DOT and Virginia.gov offering a little (and I mean a little) more information along with the same info imported from Amtrak.com. Neat, nice but somehow odd…Wasn't expecting to see this created.

It kind of reminds me of the Amtrak California site - which is a partnership through Caltrans and Amtrak IIRC

Odd however… the schedules for the new Corridor Route to Lynchburg are still no where to be found. I figured surely they would be found here… anyone?

They note that they have a Facebook Page, anyone been friended by them yet?

Odd however… the schedules for the new Corridor Route to Lynchburg are still no where to be found. I figured surely they would be found here… anyone?
Although the actual time (hours and minutes) are not listed, it does say the following:

Amtrak Virginia Launches New Service in Lynchburg Oct. 1, 200908/31/2009

New passenger rail service will connect Lynchburg and Central Virginia to the Northeast Corridor, including stops in Washington, DC, Philadelphia, Boston and more, beginning October 1. This marks the first time in history that Amtrak train service originates in Lynchburg, providing communities along the Route 29 corridor with a direct route to DC and the Northeast.

The new roundtrip service will depart every morning from Lynchburg, with return trips every afternoon from Washington, DC.
There is also a link to amtrak.com on the page.

Just found this while looking for news on Amtrak in VA.
Amtrak Virginia

It seems to be a new website in partner ship with the Virginia DOT and Virginia.gov offering a little (and I mean a little) more information along with the same info imported from Amtrak.com. Neat, nice but somehow odd…Wasn't expecting to see this created.

It kind of reminds me of the Amtrak California site - which is a partnership through Caltrans and Amtrak IIRC

They note that they have a Facebook Page, anyone been friended by them yet?
I saw that website yesterday and was testing some of the reservations through the original amtrak.com. I couldn't get a direct train from BOS or NYP all the way through to LYH, but today it seems to be working. $71 BOS->LYH November 2nd, for example. That's the 25% off special Amtrak is running in the NEC, otherwise it would be $95.

Cardinal maybe?
Absolutely not the Cardinal, because

1. It has 3 viewliners (The Cardinal has 1 only.)
  2. The are on the front (The Cardinal has it's 1 sleeper on the rear.)
  3. There is a baggage car (The Cardinal has no checked baggage service at all.)

It is either a Silver train or the Crescent.
My guess is Silver before they moved the Viewliners to the rear of the train. Silver Star I think, actually.

Cardinal maybe?
Absolutely not the Cardinal, because

1. It has 3 viewliners (The Cardinal has 1 only.)
  2. The are on the front (The Cardinal has it's 1 sleeper on the rear.)
  3. There is a baggage car (The Cardinal has no checked baggage service at all.)

It is either a Silver train or the Crescent.
duh.

you're totally right.

Sadly, I've ridden the Cardinal once or twice since they switched back from superliners

That is a horrible picture of the Silver Star (Meteor?).
which shot was that?

There is one of a train comming across a trestel, was wondering if that was the one by Crozet, VA? Cardinal maybe?
The one on the trestle. Can't be the Card since I haven't seen the Card run with two sleepers in a long while...
The Card didn't even have two sleepers back when it was running with Superliner cars, prior to going single level. It didn't even have a Trans/Dorm on it in 2000, the crew used rooms in the Superliner.

which shot was that?

There is one of a train comming across a trestel, was wondering if that was the one by Crozet, VA? Cardinal maybe?
The one on the trestle. Can't be the Card since I haven't seen the Card run with two sleepers in a long while...
Here's the image:

bannerDefault.jpg

which shot was that?

Here's the image:

bannerDefault.jpg
The southbound Crescent, crossing the James River trestle into Lynchburg. Here's another photo from nearly the same angle:

4523.1186203600.jpg

There used to be two tracks on the trestle, but the west track was removed decades ago. You can tell it used to be there by the width of the trestle supports.

It's the Crescent, I believe we settled this.
Not to split hairs...
hissyfit.gif

On 2nd look (or 52nd in my case) notice that the "third sleeper" looks awful similar to a heritage diner, not to mention it seems to be missing about half of the windows...? or the fact that following it would be 5 Amcans which would give room to believe that it would be 4 Amcan Coaches & a "Cafe/Lounge" which would give room to believe that it would be be in the correct place to be ajacent to a diner of said "boxy" design?

This is of course totally incorrect if the Crescent has been operating with a Amcam "Diner Lite" then I'm just off pulling daisies in left field and it's 3 sleepers.

just my
twocents.gif

It's the Crescent, I believe we settled this.
Not to split hairs...
hissyfit.gif

On 2nd look (or 52nd in my case) notice that the "third sleeper" looks awful similar to a heritage diner, not to mention it seems to be missing about half of the windows...? or the fact that following it would be 5 Amcans which would give room to believe that it would be 4 Amcan Coaches & a "Cafe/Lounge" which would give room to believe that it would be be in the correct place to be ajacent to a diner of said "boxy" design?

This is of course totally incorrect if the Crescent has been operating with a Amcam "Diner Lite" then I'm just off pulling daisies in left field and it's 3 sleepers.

just my
twocents.gif

No, the Crescent uses a heritage fleet diner.

BUT they've run with sleepers in the REAR for awhile now. This is an older picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess Amtrak will stick with the idea of sleepers on the end of the train as its "quieter" at night from the noise of the locomotives.
Stephen

Actually, the reason for the new position of the sleepers is as follows:

To keep the sleepers next to the dining car, to run the Viewliners "forward" and to have a vestibule adjacent to the dining car's seating area, there is no other feasible consist arrangement.

Isn't it interesting how much information a discussion about one picture can generate?

Isn't it interesting how much information a discussion about one picture can generate?
A badly done one at that.
To be fair, only one aspect of it is badly done. The composition is great, and it's a composition that suits itself very well for cropping into a banner format. It's not the photographer's fault.

It's just that the edited version of the photo on the website terribly grainy, probably because they super-compressed the image down to 52 KB for the website. I suspect the original is much sharper, and that they could replace that version with a sharper image with a larger filesize if they wished, but that they chose to compress it as far as possible to minimize page-load times. It's a trade-off webmasters have to make, and this webmaster went overboard on the compression, in my opinion! (It's possible the original is actually a grainy slide, but I doubt it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back