Amtrak Vacation Packages

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henryj

Conductor
Amtrak advertises various vacation packages and they just released another video about them. Has anyone on here used these? I don't recall ever reading about any here.

Amtrak advertises various vacation packages and they just released another video about them. Has anyone on here used these? I don't recall ever reading about any here.
"KIND OF" but probably not what you are thinking about.......Last Christmas, I was trying to get tickets to the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes show. Went online, couldn't find the dates I wanted. Checked Amtrak Vacations, and they had them, so went via Regional bwi-nyp, then used my select plus upgrades for Acela FC return.

But I'm sure you are looking for someone who has taken a multi-day trip, with attractions, lodging, etc.

The "standard" answer to almost any travel agency generated trip is that you could probably "do" the same or very similar trip on your own. your own rezzies, connections, tickets, etc., for marginally less: but it takes some TIME to do the planning, but at the same time, you have more FLEXIBILITY.

So if you've got some extra cash, and don't want the hassle of going on the web, and handling all the logistics yourself, I'd go for it.

Amtrak advertises various vacation packages and they just released another video about them. Has anyone on here used these?
Not yet, but Team Whooz expects to experience one in the fall, so a trip report is more than likely. Executive Assistant Alice won an Amtrak Vacation in a sweepstakes at National Train Day L.A. 2010 and it's a use or lose by this December (and not yet booked). It's essentially a weekend at Yosemite, including San Joaquins (L.A.- Merced for us), park bus transfers, two nights at Yosemite Lodge, meals, and some touring stuff. Nothing we woulda paid for, but we're certainly looking forward to seeing how these things work (then report so folks can read all about it!).

Amtrak Vacations Yosemite National Park

Along with the trip Alice also won an ugly and useless piece of luggage.

I'm going to say "Kind of" also. I looked at them carefully to get ideas. Then I planned my own cross country trip last summer. I think they are very expensive compared to what one can do on their own with just a little time and effort.

Just add up the cost of the railfare plus the features you're going to use. If it's reasonably close to what you'd book on your own, go for it. I haven't priced out Amtrak, but some air+hotel packages can be just a few dollars more than air alone.

Note "going to use". Although I don't think Amtrak's vacation site is really guilty of this, some packagers (I'm looking at you, Disney World) load on way more activities than you could humanly do in the time available. If you add up the prices it looks great, but you're not going to the Disney parks every day plus golf plus tennis plus water parks plus boating plus horseback riding plus dinner shows plus nightclubs plus plus plus... unless you guzzle Red Bull and give up sleeping the whole trip.

Yes, twice, both times years ago.

From Chicago to San Antonio. It was nice in that we (my sister and I) didn't have to book hotels and tours ourselves. We got the worst room in one of the best hotels and had to request a room change. Other than that, it was a wonderful, but pricey, time.

The other one was from Chicago to L.A. with one of my granddaughters. We had a terrific time. Again, all the tours and tickets were arranged for us and all we had to do was show up.

I pretty much travel alone now and make my own reservations.

Did in 2002. Worked very well, especially when our train was canceled and delayed our arrival in Los Angeles by two days--Amtrak Vacations was very easy to work with there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back