Amtrak trip from Chicago to New Orleans for Mardi Gras

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kim Bookless

We are considering booking a bedroom on the City of New Orleans from Chicago for Mardi Gras next month. This would be our first Amtrak trip. An innkeeper in NOLA advised against this, saying that the train is always at least 30 minutes late and sometimes 6-10 hours late due to being second priority to freight trains. The train is supposed to arrive in NOLA at 3:30 pm, but the innkeeper seemed quite certain that it would be late and therefore we would miss the Muses parade (perish the thought!) which begins a few hours later.

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Would it be possible to go 1 day before the event ?

Last time I was on this train, it was 30 minutes late to New Orleans.

The 4 week history shows it arriving on many days early. Only one day in the last 4 weeks was it very late and that was about 2 hours. It has been early more than late the last month.

But - going a day early really is the answer as you never know what's going to happen on any given day.

We are considering booking a bedroom on the City of New Orleans from Chicago for Mardi Gras next month. This would be our first Amtrak trip. An innkeeper in NOLA advised against this, saying that the train is always at least 30 minutes late and sometimes 6-10 hours late due to being second priority to freight trains. The train is supposed to arrive in NOLA at 3:30 pm, but the innkeeper seemed quite certain that it would be late and therefore we would miss the Muses parade (perish the thought!) which begins a few hours later.
Google Amtrak Train Status History, enter train number 59, enter NOL as the station code and click last four weeks. You will find an average delay of only six minutes. Granted, one day, 12/22, it did not arrive until 8 p.m.

The Innkeeper was not altogether wrong, though. He probably did not know one train from another and was thinking about the Sunset Limited, a train from Los Angeles which until recently was known for such delays. But even it has gotten better.

For sure, delays from freight is one of Amtrak's worst headaches, but not so much on that particular route .

I recently went to the Gator Bowl from Lincoln NE via O'Hare Airport in CHI to Columbia SC. There were people on the plane that had been "stuck" in O'Hare for THREE days. Travel snafu's happen with all sorts of transportation modes. If you can, go one day early and maybe cut off the end of the trip by one day. When ever I use rail travel, I pad the front end "in case" and then not worry about getting back home. Book the trip, book it one more day earlier and go have a blast, not only in NO, but on the way there as well. If you book the CONO, stay on this forum and ask more questions. If I hadn't found this forum before my first Amtrak trip 3 years ago, I wouldn't have been as well prepared. Since then I have ridden over 18,000 miles on Amtrak. Good luck!

Al

Common perception is that Amtrak is "always" late, but that is hardly so, and has improved significantly in the last few years. My one trip on the City of New Orleans (CONO) arrived early into NOLA, and I arrived early several times when taking the Capitol Limited between Chicago and Washington. That said, long distance trains such as CONO do run mostly on the tracks of the freight railroads, some of which are more accomodating of Amtrak in their dispatching than others.

However, rather than limiting ourselves to generalities, there are two resources for checking how late the CONO, or other Amtrak trains, have been running.

One is from Amtrak itself, where you can check on a particular train's status on either the website or "Julie," the robot operator on the 800 number (1-800-872-7245, which is "800-USA-RAIL").

The other is amtrakdelays.com, where the status of various trains over a period of time (up to four weeks) can be checked at one time.

Checking the CONO at NOLA (the Amtrak code for NOLA is, not surprisingly, NOL) for the past four weeks on amtrakdelays.com, we see an average delay of 6 minutes. However, this average results from several days where it was early as 45 minutes -- early days seem to dominate -- a few days where it was late by an hour or less, and three days where it was several hours late. Please note, however, that the days with multi-hour delays were ones in which the Midwest, and Chicago in particular, were socked in with storms and below-zero temperatures. In short, while the innkeeper was dead wrong that the CONO is always late, he was correct that it can be subject to long delays.

If you look at the amtrakdelays.com results for the CONO and don't feel comfortable, consider waiting a week or two and rechecking for another four-week span. However, don't delay making your decision too long because, like the airlines, most Amtrak fares go up as you get closer to travel time. Not to mention the prospect, for something as popular as Mardi Gras, of an outright sell-out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much to all of you for your quick replies. My travel partner does not get quite as excited about Mardi Gras as I do so he thinks riding the train down would make the trip more of an adventure. I'm not against the train idea but I'd rather do it when it's warmer and more scenic and, most importantly, when we don't have to arrive by a certain time. Plus, we have to build in time to get a rental car and prefereably check into our B&B before the parade. Even if we had time to do these things before the parade gets to where we are staying, there is always the issue of traffic hassles due to some streets being closed.

All in all I would much prefer to do the train trip another time but may go along with it so that my partner has something to look forward to besides lugging home bags of beads! So you may see me on this site a few more times in the next few weeks asking rookie questions. I very much appreciate your help and insight.

So you may see me on this site a few more times in the next few weeks asking rookie questions. I very much appreciate your help and insight.
Feel free to register to make your experience better here on the forum/ Not necessary but allows private messaging and the ability to edit your posts, if need be.

Let us know if we can assist you further.

As with any Amtrak train where you are trying to make an "event"....I would definitely go a day earlier. I live on the CONO line and take the train to New Orleans frequently. There is much freight traffic on CN, but once you get to New Orleans, there is even more......but, everytime I have been on the CONO it has pulled (backed) into the station 1 hour early or better. Mardi Gras is a packed train....a packed station....and one great packed city.

Laissez les bonnes temps roullez!

And.....eat the bread pudding in the CCC

I registered but it didn't let me reply when I logged in. So I'll continue as a guest.

I think we're going to go ahead with the train trip to Mardi Gras. I have been through all the info on the Amtrak sight but before I make our reservation, are there any secrets to successfully booking a bedroom sleeper? Do we get to choose which bedroom we want or will it be assigned? Anything else I should know?

Thanks again, everyone.

I registered but it didn't let me reply when I logged in. So I'll continue as a guest.
I think we're going to go ahead with the train trip to Mardi Gras. I have been through all the info on the Amtrak sight but before I make our reservation, are there any secrets to successfully booking a bedroom sleeper? Do we get to choose which bedroom we want or will it be assigned? Anything else I should know?

Thanks again, everyone.
I'd suggest that you book ASAP 'cuz you're going to be on a crowded train, given that it's Mardi Gras time. I'd further suggest that you simply call Julie (1-800-USARAIL) and ask to speak with an agent. They will send you an email confirmation within minutes of your conversation with the agent. The on-line system works well enough if there are no special circumstances, but the season you'll be traveling is a special circumstance, and you might have to make some fine tuning to fit everything in. The agent can take all the guess work out of adjustments. Arriving the day before your must-see parade is a good idea. That eliminates any problem with being late. Being on time or early would then be an added bonus. New Orleans can be crazy any time of the year, but Mardi Gras is a situation all by itself.

Usually the bedrooms are assigned. If they give you Bedroom E, you've got the best in the house. I booked a trip for next fall on the Empire Builder (11 months ahead) and had to settle for the family bedroom, (15?) which is on the lower level of the car. It's no problem, but every time we want to go to the diner or the lounge we've got to schlep up the stairs. And the head is not in the room. It's down the hall. On the other four trains we'll be taking I landed bedroom E on the first try.

That's because all new registrations require approval by an Administrator, and I'm the one who normally does the approval. I was away most of the day traveling to Lake Placid, NY and off line. But your registration has now been approved and you should be able to login and post using your ID. And there are benefits to loging in.

. . . Plus, we have to build in time to get a rental car and preferaably check into our B&B before the parade . . .
We are taking the CONL next Tuesday from Michigan. We have a reservation with Enterprise car rental and they are picking us up at the station. There are two Enterprise offices within a mile, or so of the station. We have scheduled our trip to arrive the day before.

The current on-time performance seems to be good.

Ok, we've booked it! Looks like we've been assigned to Room D, car 5900. Hope that's a good one. We decided to go arrive the day of the Muses parade -- if we miss it because the train is late, there are about 10 other parades we'll see while we're down there.

I'll continue to research this site, Amtrak's sight, etc. for tips. If you have any comments about Room D, or think of anything else we should know, bring with us, etc. please let me know. Again, many thanks for your helpful comments.

I'll continue to research this site, Amtrak's sight, etc. for tips. If you have any comments about Room D, or think of anything else we should know, bring with us, etc. please let me know. Again, many thanks for your helpful comments.
See our trip report under "First time on the CONO." We shared a few meals and conversations with another couple who were in Room D. They had no complaints except to state that there room was a little cool.

If you have not booked a hotel, you should do that asap. Mardi Gras is the biggest event of the year in NOL, and it is hard to get a decent hotel even if you book months in advance.

Be prepared for very crowded streets, and a lot of very rowdy people!

And of course, let us know how your trip went.

Have fun!

Bill

:p

There were some reports of the Sightseer lounge being back on the train. Has anyone any farther information on that one way or the other. I wanted to watch it pass near where I live but it is so late that I just haven't been able too, meaning the time its scheduled to pass here. Bedroom D is fine, its toward the center of the car which is good. I find the bedrooms on that train to run to the cold side for some reason. If it were me I would wait to have dinner after the train begins its trip rather than giving in to the pressure of eating in the tunnel. Eating on the train is always a highlight of the trip for me, but not parked in a dark concrete tunnel. It would have been nicer for you to plan to arrive before the day you really wanted to be there so close to train arrival time. Every now and then when we plan a trip to chicago I can check the arrivals for a week or several weeks and it will look pretty good. Somehow now and then I get the day the train is running 5 hours late so the day is ruined basically. That is a reality of train travel in this era, but often that train is early or on time. I think the CN gives them pretty good priority over the freights but in case of some other type problem it can be delayed quite a bit. That is why giving one the extra day is a good idea just in case.

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know how much we LOVED our train trip. It was the first time either of us had ridden on Amtrak and we can't wait to do it again. We had no problems boarding at Chicago and found the Amtrak staff there to be helpful, although not overly friendly. But, hey, this is Chicago, right?

Our sleeper car attendant was nice, the food was good, I had no problems sleeping, and the train pulled into New Orleans 30 minutes early. We actually regretted our plans to fly home, wishing we had taken Amtrak roundtrip. Before we went I learned so much from reading your posts -- thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

We're thinking of taking Amtrak from Chicago to Cali wine country sometime this year. Can't wait!

Thanks again for all your help.

Kim

p.s. - to answer Larry H.'s question, I don't believe there was a Sightseer lounge on our train. We stayed in our bedroom except for meal times -- our understanding was that the dining car doubled as the sightseer car.

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to let you know how much we LOVED our train trip. It was the first time either of us had ridden on Amtrak and we can't wait to do it again. We had no problems boarding at Chicago and found the Amtrak staff there to be helpful, although not overly friendly. But, hey, this is Chicago, right?

Our sleeper car attendant was nice, the food was good, I had no problems sleeping, and the train pulled into New Orleans 30 minutes early. We actually regretted our plans to fly home, wishing we had taken Amtrak roundtrip. Before we went I learned so much from reading your posts -- thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

We're thinking of taking Amtrak from Chicago to Cali wine country sometime this year. Can't wait!

Thanks again for all your help.

Kim

p.s. - to answer Larry H.'s question, I don't believe there was a Sightseer lounge on our train. We stayed in our bedroom except for meal times -- our understanding was that the dining car doubled as the sightseer car.

I am so glad you had a good trip. One never knows how a person will take to train travel. Thus, us railfans tend to down play it rather than make the expectations too high.

So good when the philosphy pays off!

There were some reports of the Sightseer lounge being back on the train. Has anyone any farther information on that one way or the other. I wanted to watch it pass near where I live but it is so late that I just haven't been able too, meaning the time its scheduled to pass here. Bedroom D is fine, its toward the center of the car which is good. I find the bedrooms on that train to run to the cold side for some reason. If it were me I would wait to have dinner after the train begins its trip rather than giving in to the pressure of eating in the tunnel. Eating on the train is always a highlight of the trip for me, but not parked in a dark concrete tunnel. It would have been nicer for you to plan to arrive before the day you really wanted to be there so close to train arrival time. Every now and then when we plan a trip to chicago I can check the arrivals for a week or several weeks and it will look pretty good. Somehow now and then I get the day the train is running 5 hours late so the day is ruined basically. That is a reality of train travel in this era, but often that train is early or on time. I think the CN gives them pretty good priority over the freights but in case of some other type problem it can be delayed quite a bit. That is why giving one the extra day is a good idea just in case.
According to the agent in Hammond, LA the sightseer lounge is seldom seen on the CONO. It seems when there is a freeze up of equipment in Chicago the Eagle consist flies south to NOL instead of San Antonio.

According to the agent in Hammond, LA the sightseer lounge is seldom seen on the CONO. It seems when there is a freeze up of equipment in Chicago the Eagle consist flies south to NOL instead of San Antonio.
Well that would make perfect sense, since it's just as warm as San Antonio, but offers a car shop in case things are broken and it's a quicker faster run. So it gets the equipment back to Chicago faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back