Amtrak train restroom comments?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in all the superliners i have been on (the TE the SWC) not one car i was in had the close lid to flush. they all had the push button. im going by experience.
And I'm not suggesting that you're wrong. Many of them do indeed require you to push the button.

But there are some where there is no button to push and closing the lid is what takes care of business.
There are no set trains. In fact on some of the trains I took in March, my sleeper was the 2nd from the diner. After eating I sometimes used the bathroom of the 1st car. On some trains, 1 car had the "push button" type and the other car had the "lid down" type.

It would be good if they would find a different place for the toilet paper in the small bathrooms on the Superliners. When sitting, It's hip level and people end up placing the entire roll on the countertop, where it inevitably gets wet.

The faucet where you have to push up with your hand to get water is gross. I don't like to touch something that others have touched after they have used the toilet.

The bathrooms on the single level trains, which are more spacious, seem to be cleaner than those on the Superliners, which are tiny. Maybe because there's a container for the trash rather than having everyone stuff the paper towels in the recepticle next to the sink. Might be good if they eliminated one or two smaller ones and made the existing ones larger on the superliners and put trash containers in them.

The bathrooms on the single level trains, which are more spacious, seem to be cleaner than those on the Superliners, which are tiny. Maybe because there's a container for the trash rather than having everyone stuff the paper towels in the recepticle next to the sink. Might be good if they eliminated one or two smaller ones and made the existing ones larger on the superliners and put trash containers in them.
Betty,

You'd be surprised at just how much room Amtrak found in the bathrooms on the "Empire" sleepers, those refurbished Superliner I sleepers that primarily see service on the Empire Builder. They still have the same number of bathrooms as before, but thanks to modern designs and smaller parts, there is so much more room in the new bathrooms by comparison to the old ones.

Since station restrooms have been discussed, thought maybe there might be some good suggestions for improving some of the train restrooms on Amtrak.
We have traveled often on Amtrak and always wonder- why aren't some of the restrooms designed better and will they be better designed in the future for sanitation purposes.

For instance, the smaller restrooms really need better trash containers. This does not seem like it would be an expensive upgrade. Almost every small restroom I've seen has stuffed and overflowing trash containers. The larger restrooms- the accessible ones have nice big trash boxes.

Adding a few places to put shaving kits or cosmetic bags would be most helpful. (So that they don't swim in splashed water!) Some of the restrooms have a pull down shelf which is great. Can't these shelves just be a part of the design of every train restroom?

Now- a bigger issue. We have wondered about the sanitation of the push the water system in the sinks. Any comments on that?

These issues are about sanitation more than convenience.

Must mention a favorite Amtrak restroom. It was on a Superliner and has a small bathroom area with a door (and the sink had the old faucets and plenty of counter space) and a larger dressing room with a couch and seats and a table near the mirror.

Wonder who designs the Amtrak interiors and if they ever seek suggestions from customers?

Must mention a favorite Amtrak restroom. It was on a Superliner and has a small bathroom area with a door (and the sink had the old faucets and plenty of counter space) and a larger dressing room with a couch and seats and a table near the mirror.
Wonder who designs the Amtrak interiors and if they ever seek suggestions from customers?
Those are the old "Women's Lounge" found on the old coaches. They are still in the coaches, but some still say "Women" while some are unisex.

Those are the old "Women's Lounge" found on the old coaches. They are still in the coaches, but some still say "Women" while some are unisex.
Any many that are unisex have been scratched out and someone has written "Women" with a pen.

Pretty nice for Amtrak to cater specially to the women, but I'm a pretty big guy and I'm glad that I can use them, too.

One hint for Superliner Sleeping pax is that the restroom upstairs by the stairwell seems to be a bit better maintained than the one downstairs. At least that's my experience.

I still hate that they are making (during refurbishments) the upstairs sleeper restroom the same setup as the lower ones. I loved having that window in there.

Since station restrooms have been discussed, thought maybe there might be some good suggestions for improving some of the train restrooms on Amtrak.
We have traveled often on Amtrak and always wonder- why aren't some of the restrooms designed better and will they be better designed in the future for sanitation purposes.

For instance, the smaller restrooms really need better trash containers. This does not seem like it would be an expensive upgrade. Almost every small restroom I've seen has stuffed and overflowing trash containers. The larger restrooms- the accessible ones have nice big trash boxes.

Adding a few places to put shaving kits or cosmetic bags would be most helpful. (So that they don't swim in splashed water!) Some of the restrooms have a pull down shelf which is great. Can't these shelves just be a part of the design of every train restroom?

Now- a bigger issue. We have wondered about the sanitation of the push the water system in the sinks. Any comments on that?

These issues are about sanitation more than convenience.
As for the design... Amtrak has come a LOOONG way in making restrooms much nicer. The acela trainsets have really nice restrooms as do the refurbished superlliner sleepers.
The Acela restrooms are well designed (and happened to be clean when we were on one)- hopefully any upgrades or refurbishments will follow Acela designs.

... with those push-up faucets, more water splashes out of the sink than gets on your hands!
FWIW the bi-levels on the NM Railrunner also has the upside down faucets. However, the pressure is more subdued; so you don't get that free shower.

Betty,

You'd be surprised at just how much room Amtrak found in the bathrooms on the "Empire" sleepers, those refurbished Superliner I sleepers that primarily see service on the Empire Builder. They still have the same number of bathrooms as before, but thanks to modern designs and smaller parts, there is so much more room in the new bathrooms by comparison to the old ones.
Alan, I haven't seen the inside of a sleeper in the 5 years since I retired and started riding coach all the time. Maybe some day they'll be able to refurbish the bathrooms in coach as well.

When my hubby and I took our first rail trip on 5/7 out of LAUS, we were in the H-room of car 1431 on Train #14 to SLO. We noticed that none of the bathrooms in our car were accessible restrooms for the other passengers. Is that because our car had an H-room? We couldn't check the restroom upstairs because it was closed. Also, I'm a big woman and my hubby is a big guy...and I would have had alot of trouble using the standard restroom. My hubby said he managed ok, but could have used more room as well.

My question: Which cars have accessible restrooms for sleeper passengers, and do you have to check into this before you purchase tickets? We were just wondering because we're thinking of getting either the family bedroom or two roomettes across from each other when we travel with my parents later on this year. Thanks! :)

i know in coach cars they have restrooms that can handle a wheel chair with hand rails on the side and those things that make you sit up high on the toilet.

When my hubby and I took our first rail trip on 5/7 out of LAUS, we were in the H-room of car 1431 on Train #14 to SLO. We noticed that none of the bathrooms in our car were accessible restrooms for the other passengers. Is that because our car had an H-room? We couldn't check the restroom upstairs because it was closed. Also, I'm a big woman and my hubby is a big guy...and I would have had alot of trouble using the standard restroom. My hubby said he managed ok, but could have used more room as well.
My question: Which cars have accessible restrooms for sleeper passengers, and do you have to check into this before you purchase tickets? We were just wondering because we're thinking of getting either the family bedroom or two roomettes across from each other when we travel with my parents later on this year. Thanks! :)
None.

The accessible room is the only accessible bathroom on a sleeping car. So get an accessible room for you guys and a roomette for your parents in the same car on the lower level.

I've been on many Superliners where closing the lid is what flushed the toilet. I seem to recall that it was the Superliner I's that came that way originally, but I won't swear to that. It might have been the II's, I never paid all that much attention to it.
It's definately not a refurbishment thing though.
The II's came with the toilets that flush when you close the lids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back