Amtrak train has 11-hour journey from DC to NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are starting to break free. We've been moving for 15 minutes now...passed 3 SB MARC trains and a few southbound NE Regionals. The MARCs appeared to be running at speed while the Regionals were much slower. A southbound Acela just passed us and he was going fast.

We are now about 1/2 way between BWI and BAL, but just slowed down again to ~10MPH. We were running 100MPH a few minutes ago.

WTOP is now reprting: Service is being restored to northbound and southbound trains on the MARC Penn Line between Baltimore and D.C. following mechanical problems that shut down all trains Monday morning.

Southbound trains are delayed roughly an hour, WTOP Traffic's Jim Russ reports, and northbound trains are expected to resume starting at 9:30 a.m. with Train 414 leaving Union Station.

Whoa, I'm a lucky duck.I rode in this morning from Baltimore on MARC 405 (Departs Baltimore at 5;50 AM) and there was no delay at all.

This story is developing some legs. It surfaced in Gizmodo, which normally doesn't deal with trains, and on The Atlantic Wire(the online part of "The Atlantic" magazine), as well as in Politico. Major black eye for Amtrak, one hopes that training for conductors will stress the importance of explaining the big picture at times like this (namely there was a major power failure). Sad story for a major route.
Well, this isn't the first time. back in 2003, my wife and I were stuck on Regional 196 for a 9-hour trip from Baltimore to Washington because a NJT train clipped come catenary.

But then again, it happens for other transportation modes, too: It once took my borhter three days to fly from Chicago to Washington, becuase they kept canceling flights for thunderstorms and sending him home from the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back