Amtrak To Run Coachella "Party Train" in 2017 and 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coachella weekend 1 starts Friday. I wonder how busy the party train will be? Either way I think this is a cool idea.
And great marketing for the Amtrak brand.

Everyone will tell their friends, "The train was much better than driving: no parking problems, no long walks, no traffic, no DUI."

Coachella weekend 1 starts Friday. I wonder how busy the party train will be? Either way I think this is a cool idea.
Its not happening.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/03/17/why-party-train-coachella-not-happened/99322364/
“Amtrak was unable to process the request even though all funding was there.” I guess "unable to process the request" means Amtrak couldn't find enuff equipment not already in use. Whooda thunk it?

Last edited by a moderator:
And great marketing for the Amtrak brand.
Everyone will tell their friends, "The train was much better than driving: no parking problems, no long walks, no traffic, no DUI."

Its not happening.http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/03/17/why-party-train-coachella-not-happened/99322364/
“Amtrak was unable to process the request even though all funding was there.” I guess "unable to process the request" means Amtrak couldn't find enuff equipment not already in use. Whooda thunk it?
Could just lease a fleet of PVs plenty of Amtrak certified coaches out there. Lower capacity but would still work

Disappointing but not surprising.
Maybe this should be Amtrak's marketing mission statement. :mellow:

Clear, concise, and honest.

Kind of like Hong Kong's tourism tag line during the SARS epidemic. :ph34r:

hongkong-will-take-your-breath-away.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak should consider running these trains to Phoenix, creating multiple frequencies between LA and Phoenix. This would also make the rehabilitation of the Welton Branch that would be required for Amtrak to be able to return to Phoenix a lot more feasible, as the rebuilt track would be used a lot more than it was in 1996, when it was last used by just the tri-weekly Sunset Limited. Part of the reason for moving the SL away from Phoenix in 1996 when Union Pacific planned to downgrade the line was the financial burden of maintaining a long stretch of track just for one tri-weekly train. Having multiple daily frequencies on the Welton Branch means that the money spent maintaining the track would be more justified than it was in 1996. In other words, with the Welton Branch being built primarily for passenger trains, but with traffic down to just one tri-weekly train by 1996, it was no longer justified to maintain the tracks. However, with corridor service using the tracks several times daily, it would make more financial sense to reopen the West Line.

Amtrak should consider running these trains to Phoenix, creating multiple frequencies between LA and Phoenix. This would also make the rehabilitation of the Welton Branch that would be required for Amtrak to be able to return to Phoenix a lot more feasible, as the rebuilt track would be used a lot more than it was in 1996, when it was last used by just the tri-weekly Sunset Limited. Part of the reason for moving the SL away from Phoenix in 1996 when Union Pacific planned to downgrade the line was the financial burden of maintaining a long stretch of track just for one tri-weekly train. Having multiple daily frequencies on the Welton Branch means that the money spent maintaining the track would be more justified than it was in 1996. In other words, with the Welton Branch being built primarily for passenger trains, but with traffic down to just one tri-weekly train by 1996, it was no longer justified to maintain the tracks. However, with corridor service using the tracks several times daily, it would make more financial sense to reopen the West Line.
I don't know wether to laugh or cry.

I don't know wether to laugh or cry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNe8Am8BGk0

Back