Amtrak to passengers: Keep Out!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rarely, if ever, encounter customer service employees with negative attitudes

in restaurants and hotels. Why would they be different than Amtrak?
I just got back from vacation. In one of the hotels we patronized, the shuttle driver had to search the hotel for the front desk clerk (finally found her smoking out back) before we could check in. This was at 8PM. So, it does happen elsewhere, though it should be unacceptable anywhere.

Guess you don't fly.
As I've flown more and more the last few years, I've never encountered airline employees with the the attitudes I've encountered on Amtrak. I fly mostly with southwest, but also have flown Delta and JetBlue.

Guess you don't fly.
As I've flown more and more the last few years, I've never encountered airline employees with the the attitudes I've encountered on Amtrak. I fly mostly with southwest, but also have flown Delta and JetBlue.
So very very true. Airline employees always seem to be very pleasant. Amtrak employees (especially food service ones) seem to hate their jobs.

All of this illustrates how unreliable anecdotal evidence is. There are dozens of places where people bicker about lousy service on planes the same way they do about Amtrak on rail sites. I have rarely experienced bad service on a train or plane, does that mean it doesn't exist? Of course not. Flight attendant horror stories make the news every week. The average satisfied customer rarely has much to say in any business.

All of this illustrates how unreliable anecdotal evidence is. There are dozens of places where people bicker about lousy service on planes the same way they do about Amtrak on rail sites. I have rarely experienced bad service on a train or plane, does that mean it doesn't exist? Of course not. Flight attendant horror stories make the news every week. The average satisfied customer rarely has much to say in any business.

This is an excellent observation in my opinion. I have experienced varying degrees of satisfactory service in hotels, restaurants, flights, local stores with Amtrak services included. I tend to be more vocal than I used to be when I feel that the money that I pay for a service/experience fails to meet my expectations. There are web sites available and other social media sites available where one can share their disappointing experience. I also use these same sites to offer praise when my experience at whatever establishment deserves it.

At least you represent the "2 way street", Usually it's the very happy, or the disappointed that speak up. The middle, which undoubtedly is the greatest segment usually doesn't have much to say. One of the things we routinely did when analyzing customer surveys was eliminate bands at the top and bottom of responses.

I feel like I've ridden enough Amtrak and Southwest flights to have more than "anecdotal evidence." At some point you can average out experiences and get an idea of the worst and the best you are likely to encounter.

Back