Amtrak Texas Eagle w/kids - questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

My 3 year old son goes bonkers for trains, and my wife and I decided we would take an Amtrak ride "for fun" from San Antonio to Fort Worth. We rented a family bedroom.

QUESTIONS

Any tips or recommendations for us?

Advice on the San Antonio and Fort Worth stations, etc?

Radio Freqs for the route?

How much ahead of time is "check-in"

Etc etc we might need to know

thanks!

Advice on the San Antonio and Fort Worth stations, etc?
The San Antonio station is not much of anything. Fort Worth is very busy as AMTRAK, TRE, city bus and Greyhound all share the facility.

SAS is an early departure, so nothing to see or do before.

Fort Worth arrival is afternoon, so plenty to see and do downtown. And all within walking distance (weather permitting).

How much ahead of time is "check-in"
No airline-style check-in on AMTRAK. If you already have your tickets, go straight to your train and specific car. Oh, please do not check bags, the Family Room is plenty large to keep things inside.

Etc etc we might need to know
The breakfast "meal" is a cold tray with yogurt, muffin, and cereal w/ milk. If that does not please you (it is tasty though), bring something of your own liking.

Stations along the way with time to step off:

Austin - very open, room to run.

Temple - an older station with limited trackside area. A good leg stretch outdoors.

Lunch serves no earlier than 1100 usually. With a young child, you might check to see if you can get a specific seating time.

Are y'all returning same day, or spending the night in Ft. Worth?

Like some of the other suggestions, you can take the TRE to Dallas (it's different trackage than Amtrak), then take DART to City Place (Texas' only subway station). From there, ride about 5 stories of escalators to the top and exit to the WEST and then ride the full circuit of the McKinney Avenue Trolley. We like to stop just before we get off at City Place to go to a great seafood restaurant called Hook Line & Sinker.

For Dad, a trip on the Red Line to Plano will get you close to Fry's Electronics - a great place for computer equipment savings. It's like...well...sort of like a Sam's club for computer geeks. Don't know how close Dart will get you, though...

In Fort Worth, check out one stop West on the TRE - the old T&P Railroad terminal. They now have lofts for sale there. I don't know if the lobby is still in mothballs, but if it is, you can see remnants of the old station diner, and some relics of past days of segregation... Don't forget to visit the stockades in Fort Worth if you have the time. And if you're lucky (and have the time), maybe you'll catch the ol' Tarantula Train coming back in and turning on the turntable.

Sheesh, I miss DFW.... :WAH:

Oh yeah - the train trip is nice, too! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Any info on the Dining Car on this trip? Do we need to make reservations?

Also, my scanner radio, in my family bedroom car, can I listen to it with no earphone?

Thanks

Also, my scanner radio, in my family bedroom car, can I listen to it with no earphone?

Thanks
I'm not sure about reservations for that short ride, check with your sleeping car attendant as you board. They should know.

And yes, as long as your door is closed and you don't have the volume full blast, no headphones are required.

Last edited by a moderator:
From SAS-FTW, the only meal you will have there would be Lunch. Typically, it is open seating. Staff will make announcements onboard.

The diner is booth style seating, but please wait to be seated. Order and enjoy.

From SAS-FTW, the only meal you will have there would be Lunch. Typically, it is open seating. Staff will make announcements onboard.

The diner is booth style seating, but please wait to be seated. Order and enjoy.
any stops enroute? How long are the stops? Can you get off and walk around?

any stops enroute? How long are the stops? Can you get off and walk around?
There are 6 stops enroute, but I'm not sure if any are long enough for you to get off and walk around. It's possible that one of the stops is a smoking stop and if that's the case, then you'd be able to get off and walk around at that stop. But don't leave the platform or wander to far from an open door, you don't want to get left behind. Ask your sleeping car attendant if there are any smoking stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back