Amtrak talking about Empire Builder expansion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will continue to be a challenge, as we in Wisconsin have to deal with a legislature filled with anti-rail reps, not just an anti-rail Governor. Keep in mind that since 1971, WI has had one passenger rail route -- the Builder. Most of the state has not had passenger trains since before 1971. One, almost 2 generations ( Gen X and Gen Y ) have grown up without any train service to their towns, and the vast majority of residents have never had to take a train anywhere. It is a simple thing for the reps to say "no" to something they've never experienced, and never had to ride. As an anecdote, I was working to generate support for the Madison Hiawatha extension, and I encountered Madison-area residents who thought it was a "dumb idea" as they insisted that no one would ride. it will be a tough sell for other parts of the country because the service has been skeletal for so long that most folks have never taken a train ride.

On the other hand, they've always been able to drive everywhere. That is part of what we're dealing with here.

This is very interesting news. It sure would be nice to get a second frequency from Chicago to Twin Cities. I wonder what the proposed schedule for it is.

Chicago business centric view would lead to a train chasing or leading the Empire Builder thus freeing the local travelers from the unpredictability of the Builder. I suspect it might be ahead of the Builder by an hour or so towards Chicago and behind the Builder by an hour or two on the way back.

The least cost alternative would be a train outbound in the morning from Chicago and return the same day in the afternoon. This avoids having to set up a stabling base in St. Paul.

Realistically though, given the runtime they might require to find two consists to make this practically possible.

Amtrak is exploring expanding Hiawatha service and adding another Empire Builder, or at least an extra Chicago to Minneapolis section. I wonder if they have a new plan on dealing with the anti-rail governor of Wisconsin?
A Chicago to Twin Cities train would not be a second Empire Builder, but would be a state supported corridor train operating under a new name. Minnesota has been conducting a study on a 90 to 110 mph "HSR" corridor to the Twin Cities with the involvement of the Wisconsin DOT, but that is a fairly expensive project.
Adding a once a day corridor service to the Twin Cities has been in the talking stages for some time. If Minnesota is willing to foot the entire subsidy for a Twin Cities corridor train, then WI would not have to pay anything. There would be the question of who would pay for capital improvements to the tracks in WI, but it should be possible for MN and WI to work something out, so long as it does not become a political football forcing Walker to take an anti-passenger rail stance.

The rolling stock for a Twin Cities corridor service could start with Horizons freed up by the arrival of the Nippon-Sharyo bi-level coach cars. If MN is willing to pay for rolling stock, the state could buy 12 or more bi-levels from Nippon-Sharyo with the options on the order. Figure two train sets of 5 bi-level cars plus 2 or more spares for the equipment pool.

The news in that article is that WI is considering adding 3 additional daily express trains to the Hiawatha service. Wouldn't that require additional equipment? Horizons will be available in ~3 years, but in the meantime, there are 2 Talgo sets gathering dust.

The Hiawatha expansion doesn't surprise me...the train is popular, and I'm reminded of Walker asking for money for it as a fig leaf for the Madison train mess (citing that it was an existing corridor, not a new one). If I'm not mistaken, this would only need one additional set (the Hiawathas only use two sets right now IIRC), so it wouldn't be a big investment. Given that it's a de facto commuter train, I can see that happening.

The Builder project seems like more of a leap at the moment. I can see it happening, yes, but I'd be hard-pressed to see Walker not just come up with an excuse to try and kill it. Of course, it's entirely possible that MN more or less rams the project through without much (if any) help from WI, too, since I know they want that train pretty badly.

Edit: On the Hiawatha, given the speed at which these projects move, there will probably be some Horizons coming free around that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would bet that plan B is that if Walker gets re-elected next year, Minnesota/Amtrak will look into using Dubuque or Davenport>Mississippi route for their HSR project. Amtrak is already talking about an Ilinois run to Iowa, so if the tea party governor and legislature stay intact in Wisconsin, they would at least have an option, or an option to pressure Wisconsin into getting on board.

I would bet that plan B is that if Walker gets re-elected next year, Minnesota/Amtrak will look into using Dubuque or Davenport>Mississippi route for their HSR project. Amtrak is already talking about an Ilini run to Iowa, so if the tea party governor and legislature stay intact in Wisconsin, they would at least have an option, or an option to pressure Wisconsin into getting on board.
Just to be clear, you're speaking of the Quad Cities train that might get extended to Iowa City/Des Moines/Omaha, right? IIRC, the Illini goes to Carbondale...which would be an odd way to get to Iowa!

I would bet that plan B is that if Walker gets re-elected next year, Minnesota/Amtrak will look into using Dubuque or Davenport>Mississippi route for their HSR project. Amtrak is already talking about an Ilini run to Iowa, so if the tea party governor and legislature stay intact in Wisconsin, they would at least have an option, or an option to pressure Wisconsin into getting on board.
Just to be clear, you're speaking of the Quad Cities train that might get extended to Iowa City/Des Moines/Omaha, right? IIRC, the Illini goes to Carbondale...which would be an odd way to get to Iowa!
Sorry, I misused Ilini as short for Illinois service. I was indeed talking about the quad cities or Dubuque, which I read about on another current thread on AU. I should have checked nomenclature.

I believe these studies have been in the works some time now (think I remember hearing about them at a WisARP meeting last year). The additional CHI-MSP train study is a MnDOT project and the additional Hiawatha study is a WisDOT project. I guess it's just a wait and see approach right now, but I will be surprised if WisDOT can bring much state funding to the table for either proposal, whenever the proposals are made public.

This is very interesting news. It sure would be nice to get a second frequency from Chicago to Twin Cities. I wonder what the proposed schedule for it is.
The schedule for a Twin Cities corridor train might have similarities to the Lynchburg Regional and the Crescent. The schedule times would be only a couple of hours off from the EB, but the corridor train provides a lot more seats and more reliable service, especially eastbound to Chicago in this case. The Twin Cities departure could be mid morning, getting to CHI by early evening dinner time. And occasionally picking up everyone waiting for a very late EB from the Twin Cities to Columbus WI for a trip to Chicago. The departure from CHI is easier to separate from the EB schedule with a late morning departure to arrive at the Twin Cities by early evening and at St. Cloud at a reasonable hour, if the service extends there.
The Twin Cities corridor could stop at Milwaukee Airport, which the EB does not do. That could help get some support from WI for the service because it would benefit their airport with connections to the rural WI stops west of Milwaukee.

If I was the State of Wisconsin and the State of MInnesota really really wanted to run a train to Chicago through my state, then I would make sure they would pay for a major chunk of it because MN would derive the primary benefit -- any WI governor, Dem or Rep would do that.

Gov Walker was the Milwaukee County Executive before he was governor, he has always supported the Hiawatha corridor. The Milwaukee Airport Station (the airport is a county institution) was added during his tenure as county exec. It was a WI DOT project but required coordination with Milwaukee County.

Hiawatha expansion is the best way to go in the long-term as far as expanding train service in Wisconsin - especially if trip times could be cut from 90 minutes to just north of one hour. It's the most bang for the buck for both revenue and passenger count. A second CHI-MSP would be nice, but it does not benefit WI as much as outstanding Hiawatha service with Chicago.

If I was the State of Wisconsin and the State of MInnesota really really wanted to run a train to Chicago through my state, then I would make sure they would pay for a major chunk of it because MN would derive the primary benefit -- any WI governor, Dem or Rep would do that.
That's fine, but as MN governor, I'd make darn sure that the train I'm paying for doesn't stop in your state, then.

It is hilarious reading the comment section of that story. The anti-rail/pro-car fans who only listen/watch to talk radio/fox news. Phrases like "nobody rides trains anymore and white elephant project" when they do not realize the facts.

Waaay too political here--especially the last comment, which was uncalled for--I think it is time to cut the crap and stick with rail matters and leave politics at the door.

That's fine, but as MN governor, I'd make darn sure that the train I'm paying for doesn't stop in your state, then.
It's called negotiation and knowing the hand you are dealt and how to play that hand. Swinging through Iowa requires Iowa to play. Traveling through WI without any stops will cause WisDOT to basically hold up any improvement to the tracks. Continuing through WI may mean that MN pays for the equipment and for the slot, while WI pays for things specific to WI, such as railroad crossing upgrades. Lots of things will happened between this story and something actually happening. As a Wisconsin taxpayer, I expect my state government, no matter who runs it, to get the best deal it can get from Minnesota.

It takes two to be intransigent. Wisconsin's trainiacs have done as much to poison the train situation in this state as the talking-point right-wingers on the JSOline comment section.

That would be a silly thing to do as MN citizens want to travel to Milwaukee as well as Chicago. I think people are overreacting to the concept that Walker and WI might block a Twin Cities corridor service. ME or more specifically, NNEPRA, pays for the Downeaster with no support from NH; NC pays for the Carolinian with no financial support from VA. If MN pays to subsidize the service and for the rolling stock, MN's primary negotiations are with CP, Amtrak, and IL/Metra.
The critical question is how much will the freight railroad ask to allow a second daily frequency? Will CP insist on track capacity projects - bypass track, crossovers, second track segment - in MN and WI before allowing a second train?

It's called negotiation and knowing the hand you are dealt and how to play that hand. Swinging through Iowa requires Iowa to play. Traveling through WI without any stops will cause WisDOT to basically hold up any improvement to the tracks. Continuing through WI may mean that MN pays for the equipment and for the slot, while WI pays for things specific to WI, such as railroad crossing upgrades. Lots of things will happened between this story and something actually happening. As a Wisconsin taxpayer, I expect my state government, no matter who runs it, to get the best deal it can get from Minnesota.

It takes two to be intransigent. Wisconsin's trainiacs have done as much to poison the train situation in this state as the talking-point right-wingers on the JSOline comment section.
I not quite sure I understand your comments. What "trainiacs" are causing the anti-transit Scott Walker to act as he does? If Wisconsin doesn't want to play ball with Minnesota, then fares for Wisconsin riders should be much higher than those originating in Minnesota. That sounds fair to me.

And as a Minnesota taxpayer, I'd want to make sure that that train does stop at least a few places in Wisconsin. If WI doesn't want to chip in anything, maybe charge more per mile (or some sort of reduced subsidy) for trips that are solely within WI and IL (with probably an exception for La Crosse, as a lot of Minnesotans will use that stop as well.) But honestly, Minnesotans (and people visiting Minnesota) will probably be the largest benefactors of this...outside of maybe Columbus to Chicago (assuming Madison, either city or state, pays for a connecting bus) trips.

I not quite sure I understand your comments. What "trainiacs" are causing the anti-transit Scott Walker to act as he does? If Wisconsin doesn't want to play ball with Minnesota, then fares for Wisconsin riders should be much higher than those originating in Minnesota. That sounds fair to me.
The train situation in Wisconsin was polluted with Gov Jim Doyle handed out no-bid contracts for Talgo trainsets and tried to lock the project into place before the 2010 election. The proposed Milw-Madison section of HSR, which was to be the opening segment of a CHI-MSP line was sold to Madison folks as a commuter rail project, thus they demanded a stop in downtown Madison, rather than the Madison airport -- which would have resulted in a backing out movement to rejoin the main track. There was also a Milwaukee-Racine-Kenosha rail project proposed where the Democrat legislature rammed through a property tax funding mechanism that put the cost burden on those who would not ride it, not those who would have benefitted from it financially. The key point of all those political transactions is that they were done without negotiation. When people got the option to vote the people out how made those decision, they did.

I firmly believe that the current administration in Wisconsin will pursue improved Hiawatha service because it will have the highest benefit of any proposed train project in the state in the past 15 years. Trainiac partisans in Wisconsin would be well-served to work with him on that.

<p>We'll see if Gov. Walker backs any Hiawatha improvements. I hope he does. Wisconsin didn't jump in with Illinois, Michigan and Missouri to order the bi-levels after the Talgo contract was broken. So, equipment needs to be found for more Hiawathas.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In meantime, WisDOT is happily tearing up I-94 in southern Wisconsin, rebuilding it from the ground up. I notice the cost-conscious gov didn't stop that. </p>

<p>We'll see if Gov. Walker backs any Hiawatha improvements. I hope he does. Wisconsin didn't jump in with Illinois, Michigan and Missouri to order the bi-levels after the Talgo contract was broken. So, equipment needs to be found for more Hiawathas.</p><p> </p>

<p>In meantime, WisDOT is happily tearing up I-94 in southern Wisconsin, rebuilding it from the ground up. I notice the cost-conscious gov didn't stop that. </p>
The decision to rebuild I-94 in Kenosha and Racine counties was initiated under the Jim Doyle administration.

If you drive that chunk of road regularly, you will understand why its being rebuilt -- 70 year old roadbed and dangerously antiquated scissors type interchanges. The project was initiated under the Doyle admin, but the Walker admin has delayed portions of it due to cost reasons (all the dangerous ramps will be replaced, but the extra travel lane feature is being delayed for major stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back