Amtrak Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Conductor
Sunset Limited Podcasts

Traveling on the Sunset Limited between L.A. and The Big Easy is an exhilarating experience. Thanks to the National Park Service and the Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences at Texas A&M University, it can be a learning experience, too. Explore the history and sites of interest along the route through this series of downloadable audio podcasts, which when put together make up an audio guide that covers 2,000 miles with nearly 100 anecdotes and fun facts.

Download the Sunset Limited podcasts at http://www.amtrakrailguide.com/

If Amtrak wanted to be smart-asses, they should advertise a part 2 podcast that describes the route from New Orleans - Orlando, and then say that it's temporarily unavailable. :lol:

If Amtrak wanted to be smart-asses, they should advertise a part 2 podcast that describes the route from New Orleans - Orlando, and then say that it's temporarily unavailable. :lol:

Or, if they were smart, they would reopen that part of the route, so people going to NY could take it to hook up with the silver service.

That's pretty cool, hope they roll it out for other runs as well.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, will have to use this one on the train.

Or, if they were smart, they would reopen that part of the route, so people going to NY could take it to hook up with the silver service.
From New Orleans to New York couldn't they just take the Crescent?

They can indeed do that, but that requires an overnight stay in New Orleans. When the Sunset East still ran, one could do a same day transfer in Jacksonville to a Silver Service train. Both require the same number of days of travel, but one route sees all nights on the train, while the other sees you off the train for one night.

They can indeed do that, but that requires an overnight stay in New Orleans. When the Sunset East still ran, one could do a same day transfer in Jacksonville to a Silver Service train. Both require the same number of days of travel, but one route sees all nights on the train, while the other sees you off the train for one night.
I hate to keep beating a dead horse here, with the SL, but I just got my 2010-2011 travel guide in, and they still have the full route for the SL, from coast to coast. Theres just a little box saying they've temporarilly suspended service. Its just my opinion, but if they had plans on removing that leg of the service, I'd expect them to do something more permanent.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse here, with the SL, but I just got my 2010-2011 travel guide in, and they still have the full route for the SL, from coast to coast. Theres just a little box saying they've temporarilly suspended service. Its just my opinion, but if they had plans on removing that leg of the service, I'd expect them to do something more permanent.
They have to keep up the facade, because they never formally filed for discontinuance, they have to treat it as "temporary". Since Amtrak management seems so dead set against it, they ought to just bite the bullet and file the 180 day discontinuance notice. Whether they are afraid of negative public response I don't know. I do know that what they are doing is effectively discontinuing the train without going through the necessary process.

Last edited by a moderator:

They have to keep up the facade, because they never formally filed for discontinuance, they have to treat it as "temporary". Since Amtrak management seems so dead set against it, they ought to just bite the bullet and file the 180 day discontinuance notice. Whether they are afraid of negative public response I don't know. I do know that what they are doing is effectively discontinuing the train without going through the necessary process.
I've been reading up on this for awhile now, and it was my understanding that there were political issues holding them back from restarting the line. I know that sounds like ****, but it could be true, couldnt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back