Amtrak stations, best and worst

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peachtree Station in Atlanta was built circa 1910 as a convenience stop for residents on the northern fringe of civilization at the time. It was never meant to replace Terminal Station downtown, but that's exactly what happened in 1970.

The NCDOT stations are nice, except Charlotte. I think Greensboro is the best at present. New station in Raleigh opens in about 12 months.

Can't believe someone voted Cincinnati as the worst. It's one of my top 5. Granted train times are terrible but the station is magnificent and the museum is great. Ohioans must think so too as they voted to pass a $200 million bond issue to renovate the station - primarily structural /wiring/HVAC issues of a 90 year old building that used cutting edge technology of steel reinforced concrete when built. Station was beautifully restored cosmetically a dozen or so years ago. Renovation is underway now and is not open to the public, other than Amtrak, for the duration. A guided tour of the station and its former offices and dining areas is truly amazing. And a visit to Tower A is a must for railfans.

I would agree that LAUPT and 30th st. rank as the top two. Washington is good too but too much retail at the expense of space for travelers. I also like New Orleans as a 'modern' station with three different Amtrak routes and good local transit. But it could use a good overhaul and better amenities. On my visit in 2016 it appeared the station tracks were being extensively upgraded. No doubt to make it ready for the extension of CONO east!

Peachtree Station in Atlanta was built circa 1910 as a convenience stop for residents on the northern fringe of civilization at the time. It was never meant to replace Terminal Station downtown, but that's exactly what happened in 1970.
The facility itself is more than adequate to service a whole TWO trains per day. And in 1970, before MARTA, not such a bad choice. @PVD has pointed out that some of my initial impressions about parking and lack of connections were actually not accurate. Checking Google Maps, one should be able to get from ATL (Peachtree) to ATL (Hartsfield) in about 40 minutes by bus & metro. This is less time than it takes to get between, say WAS and Dulles, and about the same as JFK to Penn Station.

I may start a thread on best and worst stations for making intermodal connections.

The only snag for travel to Hartsfield from Peachtree is the need to take the bus to the subway. My hotel had a shuttle pick me up so I didn't take the bus downtown anyway. When I was there in October I took MARTA from my hotel to the airport to meet my sister and brother in law who were arriving and renting a car, and it was a pretty decent trip and the station at the airport was not inconvenient. Still have a few rides on my "Breeze" Card

Not having a station track and sitting on the main is a bit of a problem, but not the end of the world.

Peachtree Station in Atlanta is strange. Not bad, just strange. For a major city it has almost no parking and no real connection to mass transit. Union Station in DC is pretty nice, except at the track level, which is left over from the 1920s.
Not bad?

Large numbers of people. Small station. No redcaps.

Single tiny elevator or one long stairway.

No food available.

No room for dropoff or for taxis.

Can't get to platform until everyone has come up via the tiny elevator or long stairway and all the baggage is delivered (via the elevator). That means a crowd blocking those exiting.

No crowd control by staff. Too few staff as only one train in each direction.

Sleeper passengers have the longest walk.

Bus stops not covered. No info on which bus takes you where. (one bus in each direction)

In NC, Charlotte is bad but is supposed to be replaced by a new facility downtown. Looking forward to that and the new Raleigh station a year from now.

The one station here in NC that I'm disappointed in is Salisbury. It is a grand station that was sold and is rented for private "events" now. The actual Amtrak waiting room is a small room on the north end. That's an insult.

jb

My two closest stations are Fairhaven Transportation Center in Bellingham (BEL) and Skagit Station in Mount Vernon (MVW). But neither of them are convenient to access from Orcas Island--the ferry times do not connect with the trains for me to drive to MVW, and I would have to find a friend with a boat willing to get me to the public boat ramp next to BEL.

Both stations offer local transit, but I would need to transfer buses twice to get from MVW to the Washington State Ferry terminal in Anacortes. There is very limited parking at MVW, but good parking at BEL, which is also an intercity bus station and the Alaska State Ferry terminal.

Also, the southbound Cascade does not connect with the Coast Starlight.

Seattle King Street Station gets my vote for strangest signage:

5725004957_d2fa4a411c_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
INDIANAPOLIS IN is the WORST Amtrak station.

Paired with Greyhound it is open 24/7. Given the absence of social services in IN (thank you Hoosiers + Mike Pence) it is a major facility for the homeless and destitute who camp out there, occupy all the seats, sleep on the floor, over-utilize the facilities and park their possessions wherever. There is no place to sit while you wait for a train, and to access the tracks you have to step over people sleeping on the floor.

Nice one Amtrak.

Read some reviews on Yelp. https://www.yelp.com/biz/amtrak-indianapolis?q=station

I've always loved Denver. Perhaps I am local. But what they did to it, wow. Really nice.

A lot of the stations along the Capitol Corridor route are fairly spartan. Perhaps a small parking lot, shelter, and platform, but not much else. Many are in locations dictated by the tracks, but that's not a serious issue when most are using these stations for commuting. I guess that's not like the ones I've seen that look like concrete bunkers. Malvern, PA was like that. I think it's mostly a SEPTA station, but Keystone stops there too.

A lot of the stations I use may be in strange locations, but access to public transportation can be a plus. I use a couple of stations that are located below an overpass. The Great America (Santa Clara, CA) is located near a couple of VTA light rail stations and is within walking distance of Levi's Stadium. The only true intermodal station around here is Richmond, CA. The location is actually pretty close to several destinations, but the neighborhood is pretty unsavory. However, it's a convenient way to transfer to BART. The Oakland Coliseum station has a moderate walk to BART.

There are a few major factors worth exploring in terms of how stations fit in.. Which stations are Amtrak owned vs which stations are owned or controlled by someone else? The once a day in each direction or less (like the three day a weeks) vs the stations that serve more than one train, and the intermodals, with connections to buses or other local transit. A station like Denver went from a dreary once a day in each direction station to a "destination", would that have happened if not for the light rail traffic, the commuter rail, and now the bus connections? Amtrak passengers certainly benefit, but it wasn't going to happen without the other pieces.

Several stations are nice but I was really impressed with Kansas City. It's such a large beautiful building. Too bad the SWC comes through at hours that I would be less likely to get off and wander around for a few minutes.

San Diego is just a long stone throw from the harbor. Gorgeous setting.

LA is nice as well. I enjoy looking for it in movie scenes.

Not sure how bad Palm Springs is but the location doesn't seem to be the best--miles outside of town. Maybe that is the best possible location as it seems as if the train does not actually run through the town. I just wouldn't want to get off a train there at 2 AM or have to be there at 1230 AM to catch it going east.

Not bad?

Large numbers of people. Small station. No redcaps.

Bus stops not covered. No info on which bus takes you where. (one bus in each direction)
I think we may need to define "bad". To me it would not mean "inadequate", but rather "dilapidated", "dangerous", "dirty", etc. The reason I first mentioned ATL was that it seemed inadequate for such a large city, is oddly perched on a too-small spot above the tracks and should but doesn't have a direct connection to the MARTA. All of this qualifies ATL as inadequate, which may or may not be the same as "bad".

Me_little_me captured the inadequacies of Peachtree Station very well. Imagine what it was like when Southern used to run steam excursions there and boarded 900 people.

Don't hold your breath on the new station for Charlotte... delayed indefinitely. Assuming it's built in 2025 or thereabouts, it will be on the site of the pre-1964 Southern passenger station... about a seven-block walk to LYNX, although I'm sure there will be bus service.

INDIANAPOLIS IN is the WORST Amtrak station.

Paired with Greyhound it is open 24/7. Given the absence of social services in IN (thank you Hoosiers + Mike Pence) it is a major facility for the homeless and destitute who camp out there, occupy all the seats, sleep on the floor, over-utilize the facilities and park their possessions wherever. There is no place to sit while you wait for a train, and to access the tracks you have to step over people sleeping on the floor.

Nice one Amtrak.
Does Amtrak own the station and all of that is something Amtrak has any control over??

Or is it like most stations Amtrak trains stop at, and the station is owned by another entity.

Me_little_me captured the inadequacies of Peachtree Station very well. Imagine what it was like when Southern used to run steam excursions there and boarded 900 people.

Don't hold your breath on the new station for Charlotte... delayed indefinitely. Assuming it's built in 2025 or thereabouts, it will be on the site of the pre-1964 Southern passenger station... about a seven-block walk to LYNX, although I'm sure there will be bus service.
In Charlotte, the streetcar (CityLynx Gold Line) will be running between the Lynx Blue Line station and the new Amtrak station location.
Years before the new Amtrak station actually gets built. The streetcar extension is funded and under construction, unlike the Amtrak station.

I would think it would be far cheaper (and therefore likely to happen sooner) to fix up the current Charlotte station and extend the light rail to it. For me, the lack of connectivity to the downtown area is its biggest drawback.

It's 1960's 'modern' and in need of upgrade but the bones aren't bad. Multiple station tracks, a large lobby/ticket area, passageways under tracks to the platforms and plenty of room for other amenities or retail space in adjoining buildings. It also has good parking space (needs repaving). The area is mostly commercial warehouses but not terrible.

And I wonder what NS will do with the yard across the mainline from the station. It appeared to me that it was mostly intermodal and I assume they will move to their new facility near the airport. Any updates on that? If it was vacated, that would be a good servicing yard for the Piedmonts.

In Charlotte, the streetcar (CityLynx Gold Line) will be running between the Lynx Blue Line station and the new Amtrak station location.

Years before the new Amtrak station actually gets built. The streetcar extension is funded and under construction, unlike the Amtrak station.
Well, that's the theory. Phase II of the Gold line (which passes by the future Amtrak site) is supposed to be in operation by August 2020. It's funded and a contract has been signed, but construction hasn't actually started yet. My guess is that they won't make the schedule -- but with no progress in sight on the Amtrak station, your point is well taken.

I would think it would be far cheaper (and therefore likely to happen sooner) to fix up the current Charlotte station and extend the light rail to it. For me, the lack of connectivity to the downtown area is its biggest drawback.

It's 1960's 'modern' and in need of upgrade but the bones aren't bad. Multiple station tracks, a large lobby/ticket area, passageways under tracks to the platforms and plenty of room for other amenities or retail space in adjoining buildings. It also has good parking space (needs repaving). The area is mostly commercial warehouses but not terrible.

And I wonder what NS will do with the yard across the mainline from the station. It appeared to me that it was mostly intermodal and I assume they will move to their new facility near the airport. Any updates on that? If it was vacated, that would be a good servicing yard for the Piedmonts.
Too late. NS intermodal moved down near the airport. The Lynx Blue Line has been extended up to the university and at the location of the current Amtrak station, the line sits where the NS intermodal facility used to be - which is on the opposite side of the yard from the station. A bit north of the Amtrak station, the Lynx line goes up and over the NS mainline, like a roller coaster. Just after the Lynx comes back down to the west side of the NS mainline, there is a Lynx station stop. There is talk of putting an Amtrak stop there in order to provide connectivity, but nothing firm.

jb

Amazing that this station is sufficient for rail traffic when Atlanta's Airport is one of the busiest in the world with over 100 Million passengers a year.

Amazing that this station is sufficient for rail traffic when Atlanta's Airport is one of the busiest in the world with over 100 Million passengers a year.
Atlanta's airport serves more than two flights a day.....

Too late. NS intermodal moved down near the airport. The Lynx Blue Line has been extended up to the university and at the location of the current Amtrak station, the line sits where the NS intermodal facility used to be - which is on the opposite side of the yard from the station. A bit north of the Amtrak station, the Lynx line goes up and over the NS mainline, like a roller coaster. Just after the Lynx comes back down to the west side of the NS mainline, there is a Lynx station stop. There is talk of putting an Amtrak stop there in order to provide connectivity, but nothing firm.
jb

Too late. NS intermodal moved down near the airport. The Lynx Blue Line has been extended up to the university and at the location of the current Amtrak station, the line sits where the NS intermodal facility used to be - which is on the opposite side of the yard from the station. A bit north of the Amtrak station, the Lynx line goes up and over the NS mainline, like a roller coaster. Just after the Lynx comes back down to the west side of the NS mainline, there is a Lynx station stop. There is talk of putting an Amtrak stop there in order to)to provide connectivity, but nothing firm.
jb
Interesting- thanks for the update. Would a walkway / overpass work (like Sacramento) to the new station?

My mind goes to European airports, like Fiumicino and Schiphol as well as both Narita and Haneda in Japan that have major rail terminals attached to the airport. The only two I can think of in the US are BWI and EWR. Several are connected to light metro rail systems but very few have Amtrak or commuter terminals.

Back