Amtrak Station Status Boards (beta)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest and greatest is virtual solari boards for any Amtrak station. Just select a station and a solari-like board will be presented with the current status of the trains there.

This is BETA. For those of you who are non-computer types, that means that it still is under test. It works pretty well, but might be a little buggy. So if you see any bugs, either let me know by note or by posting here.

And yes, I did request the addition of sound from the solari-board code author.

http://dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/solari

Have fun.

jb

Amtrak Status Maps

ASM Alerts

Amtrak Station Status Boards

That is TOOOO cool! LAX is great! Bad news is now I will be burning more time staring at boards but what a great tool!

Very nice. It may be worth adding a from column as well.
The layout of the board is unfortunately, a compromise. Each line is already at the maximum number of characters. If I add any, the lines will "wrap". The solari code isn't mine, and is very complicated, so I decided to leave out the "from" column.

jb

Aloha

nice, Where do you get the info from? I tried the LVS (Bus) code for Vegas a nothing happened.

really fun. thanks. is there any way to get the board for trains arriving to a particular station after midnight? for example, for spk i get a blank board as both 7/27 and 8/28 will arrive after midnight
The data for a particular day is developed just after midnight Eastern.

jb

PS I should clarify further. The data for a particular train is developed on the day of the train's origin. That means a train won't show up in the system until at least its day of origin. The presentation of the trains is further limited to no more than 4 hours into the future. That means that although a train might have originated two days ago, it won't show up until it's within 4 hours of its scheduled time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I love it, this is wicked awesome! Thank you for putting the time and effort into this, another fun thing to occupy my day with and get real time information for a specific station. Sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to have an alternate display that simply shows the arrival status without the Solari graphics and animation? I love the Solari mimic as a novelty, but the station arrival data is of practical value, and the Solari animation slows down the presentation of the data, and the scaling is wider than my 13" display.

Is there a way to have an alternate display that simply shows the arrival status without the Solari graphics and animation? I love the Solari mimic as a novelty, but the station arrival data is of practical value, and the Solari animation slows down the presentation of the data, and the scaling is wider than my 13" display.
I'll have to add that as a follow-on enhancement, if enough people want it.

In the meantime, some browsers are faster than others. Chrome is pretty good. Once the screen is created for the first time, the updates are pretty fast since little on the screen is changing at once.

Also, you should be able to quickly zoom in or out by using the Control - and Control + keys.

jb

Great App, I'll have to remember to look at during the day, not great trying to test it at midnight, too few trains (although I'm assuming Amtrak's just dropped the ball tracking Acela 2128 due to arrive and terminate 10:45, it left Newark two minutes late and isn't listed yet for Penn Station).

Cool. I suspect some will use it as their default screen with their home station shown or as a "screensaver".

Cool! I was just thinking the other day how it would be nice to know when trains were arriving or leaving my station so I could watch for them whenever I might be near the tracks (NEC). Of course this would require me to get a smartphone which would make my Apple SIL very happy. But first I need to get a good paying job.

I tried pulling up ALX, but IE (yeah, I know) is telling me it can't display the webpage and it gets hung up trying to diagnose the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back