amtrak station in Holland

• Thread starter carolyn boersma
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carolyn boersma

I will be travelling from Holland MI to Chicago, then to OR and back in a few weeks, and will be gone about 2 1/2 weeks total. I will need to leave my car at the station in Holland. I know it is a unmanned station, as I have taken weeknd trips to CHicago from there...but has anyone left their car there for an extended time? How safe is that? (I obviously would not leave anything of any value in there...)

Carolyn

Called the Holland Police Dept...figured they would know if there were a problem...The officer I spoke to says there have not been any reported problems with theft or vandalism...so I am going to cross my fingers and park in an area with enough cars that no one will notice it sitting there....

Yeah...there is always a first time but....

Carolyn

To feel safe, is there a way that someone will give you a ride to the station, like your relatives, friends, or even neighbors? Two and a half week is pretty long for your car to sit next to the station. If your car is ordinary, not BMW or whatever, hopefully it should be fine as long as police dept. reported no problems with Amtrak parking.

We have left our car there for a week or more on two different occassions this year, plus a couple of weekend trips and have yet to have any problems, although we parked at the actual station parking lot and not the overflow parking at the old Wendy's resturaunt across the tracks from the station. We have also stayed in Holland a few times this year and on trips to the station to get pics of the arriving and departing Pere Marquette, I noticed that the police swing thru the parking lot.

Bill

Regardless of whether others have parked their cars there without incident, 2.5 weeks is a long time to leave one's car parked in ANY public place. It is not a matter of odds or numbers of incidents; it is a matter of placing one's property at risk. To me it would be well worth the cost of any taxi ride, even an expensive one, to say nothing of the piece of mind. <_<

Back