Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Charger at Ivy City
Great picture.

I didn't realize how much longer a Sprinter is than a Charger.
Did you mean to say "how much longer a Charger is than a Sprinter"? It is about 5 feet longer in the Midwest/California form of it. In the AAF form it is a bit more for the shrouding in the front.

Charger: 71'6"

Sprinter: 66'8"

Last edited by a moderator:
The video of the test train at Elizabeth really shows the "S" curve that slows trains and would save 1 - 2 minutes if it could be eliminated and Amtrak be able to do 160 the whole way without slowing.

Elizabeth S-Curve is not the only bad curve in NJ. There is the series of curves from Metropark to Metuchen, though about 30-40mph faster than the Elizabeth curve. And there is even a curve in the middle of the NBK - TRE speedway which keeps the speed down to 135-140 for part of the way. So forget about 160 all the way between Newark and Trenton. Won;t happen without finding significant bits of new ROW in a fully built up area - translates to mucho dinero.

JIS agree mucho dinero but one slow section eliminated at a time. And there is also the need for constant tension CAT to get reliable HSR during very cold or very hot days. But NWK - TRE has least cost potential to reduce travel times. But let us not forget North PHL - TRE with is several curves including the 188 interlocking.

The S curve in Elizabeth are 80-85mph curves for the current tilting train. Who knows what the next generation train will yield? Even if the speed doesn't change, since that is faster than most trains in the country can travel, I'm not sure I'd exactly call that slow.

The S curve in Elizabeth are 80-85mph curves for the current tilting train. Who knows what the next generation train will yield? Even if the speed doesn't change, since that is faster than most trains in the country can travel, I'm not sure I'd exactly call that slow.
Yup. what the next gen will yield will also depend on whether FRA will allow additional underbalance beyond what it allows now. He was suggesting that somehow "removing" the S curve would give us a clear 160mph run presumably from Newark to Trenton. That certainly won;t be the case. Actually even after the HSR work is finished between NBK and TRE, the whole segment between County and Ham won't be 160mph, let alone dreams of Newark to Trenton.

Yup there are plenty of curves everywhere on the NEC due to various historical oddities on how the whole thing came together.
Oh, so it's a Heritage Railway?
It was stitched together from multiple short railroads built using various charters, some for toll roads, some opposed vociferously by toll roads causing weird routing, some others and when they came up against each other one bought the other and jogged their tracks around to meet up. Some of those were straightened out over time. Others weren't. The history of the coming together of what is NEC today is quite fascinating. The whole story of how PRR found its way into Washington DC working around a ban from the Govt. of Maryland is a fascinating one in and of itself.

I think the implementation of PTC is about to change the "faster than most trains in the country can travel". The troglodyte freight companies may still want to refuse to raise their speed limits, but when they already have the expensive parts of the signal system in place and the track is already Class 5, the necessary payments to get them to tweak the signal system to allow for 90 mph are gonna be a lot lower than before...

I think the implementation of PTC is about to change the "faster than most trains in the country can travel". The troglodyte freight companies may still want to refuse to raise their speed limits, but when they already have the expensive parts of the signal system in place and the track is already Class 5, the necessary payments to get them to tweak the signal system to allow for 90 mph are gonna be a lot lower than before...

I have a quick off-topic question for anyone that chooses to answer. Are there any freight trains that operate above 70mph? I suppose there are some that may operate up to 79mph but I don't know of any on the east coast.

I have a quick off-topic question for anyone that chooses to answer. Are there any freight trains that operate above 70mph? I suppose there are some that may operate up to 79mph but I don't know of any on the east coast.
I believe not in the US at this time. There is intermittent discussion among the western roads of raising speeds for intermodals, where time is money, but the "low-hanging fruit" is still in intermodal yard operations, which are much slower than they should be.

I believe not in the US at this time. There is intermittent discussion among the western roads of raising speeds for intermodals, where time is money, but the "low-hanging fruit" is still in intermodal yard operations, which are much slower than they should be.
I may be way off here because I'm working off memory, but didn't Union Pacific have a rule a few years back authorizing certain intermodal equipment to run 79 mph? Of course, things may have changed (or I could be totally wrong...), and merely having the authorization doesn't mean it actually happens, but I seem to remember something along those lines.

The S curve in Elizabeth are 80-85mph curves for the current tilting train. Who knows what the next generation train will yield?
I think the implementation of PTC is about to change the "faster than most trains in the country can travel". ...
I believe not in the US at this time.
Starting about this time next year, a couple hundred miles of upgraded track between St Louis and Joliet will be carrying Lincoln service passenger trains at up to 110 mph. Union Pacific trains will operate over the same tracks, which UP owns.

I don't know nuthin, but from my sense of how the world works, I'd expect UP to begin running some of its freights on this 110-mph capacity route at something faster than 70 or even 79 mph, just because they can. LOL. (There may good operating reasons to go fast to keep out of the way of the passenger trains as well.)

It would be nice if UP learned to like to have its trains going fast on tracks shared with fast passenger trains. The upgraded Lincoln route could turn out to be a real gamechanger!

Gotta also remember that a lot of the newer freight motors are either governed @ 70 or 75. The last time a freight motor was sold with a top speed higher than that, AFAIK, it was the SD90MAC (80 MPH).

Union Pacific's DDA40Xs operated at 90mph along with the fast forty SD40-2s (Units in the 8000s) many years ago. I don't know if today's freight cars or freight locomotives can be geared to travel that fast, but UP did pull it off.

Union Pacific's DDA40Xs operated at 90mph along with the fast forty SD40-2s (Units in the 8000s) many years ago. I don't know if today's freight cars or freight locomotives can be geared to travel that fast, but UP did pull it off.
I recall when the UP added those units to help the SFZ between Denver and Ogden. Wyoming was 90 MPH, cab-signaled territory for the Zephyr....

I thought I'd heard or read that the FEC ran freight fairly fast - was that just "fast for freight"?

I remember seeing a video from Austria of an express freight passing an express higher speed train somewhere near Salzberg (or between there and Vienna).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back