Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The red light is when the locomotive is pushing and is the last car in the consist.
I thought that was what the red marker lights just immediately below the ditch lights were for. I was referring to the one on top of the roof.
A red strobe light on a locomotive that is strobing means the locomotive has had an emergency application of the brakes.
And one other question, how come they would need a flashing red strobe if the e-brakes are activated?

The red light is when the locomotive is pushing and is the last car in the consist.
I thought that was what the red marker lights just immediately below the ditch lights were for. I was referring to the one on top of the roof.
A red strobe light on a locomotive that is strobing means the locomotive has had an emergency application of the brakes.
And one other question, how come they would need a flashing red strobe if the e-brakes are activated?
indicates to emergency services which train is in trouble.

Remeber folks, marker lights and emergency lights are usually not the same, they both have an important purpose.
Markers, including FREDs, red lights, a red lantern and a ref flag indicate that the train is complete. It's necessary for a way-freight who is sitting in the clear to know if a passing train is complete before it comes out onto the main. If the passing train has left the rear end of its train up the railroad somewhere, then the front end can go down the railroad, do some work, and then run back up the same track in order to pick up the rest of its train.

jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a red gyralite perhaps help better? Strobes flash every 2 seconds or so, whereas gyralites shine from side to side.
Strobes flash at multi speeds. True strobes are on the way out as LED light do a much better job (brighter), with much lower voltage, and multi patterns and colors. Interesting that what was said about strobes replace the incandescence light bulb a few years back.

it indicates train in emergency and possibly fouling adjacent track to other trains.
Would a red gyralite perhaps help better? Strobes flash every 2 seconds or so, whereas gyralites shine from side to side.
No one in their right mind would advocate using a light that has a mechanical drive in it. It's just more delicate parts, subject to the weather, to break. That's why they stopped being used on trains years ago.

jb

it indicates train in emergency and possibly fouling adjacent track to other trains.
No one in their right mind would advocate using a light that has a mechanical drive in it. It's just more delicate parts, subject to the weather, to break. That's why they stopped being used on trains years ago.

jb
I thought Metra still purchases locos new with gyralights. The last known loco to be purchased with a gyra was the Metra MP36PH-3S's, which was back in... 2004 maybe?

jb
I thought Metra still purchases locos new with gyralights. The last known loco to be purchased with a gyra was the Metra MP36PH-3S's, which was back in... 2004 maybe?
So 12 years ago. Sounds like they've gone the way of the dodo bird to me.

jb

As far as the very first one, have any others been complete yet? The ones for Brightline are starting to take shape!

Yes, the photos in this thread are of the first complete locomotive.

There are updates on the Siemens production in the Next Gen Section 305 Executive board meeting minutes for April 12 and 26 which are available as word documents on this webpage.

In the April 26 meeting minutes:

JPEs received Siemens’ revised schedule and conduct weekly conference calls. Although some delay for the first 11 locomotives and a 6-day delay for the balance of the production, the overall schedule for delivery of the last locomotive is still within the ARRA funding window.

The diesel engine for locomotive #1 was started 4/18 and functional tests for locomotive sub-systems for unit #1 continue. JPE subject matter experts are witnessing the tests.

The test plan for 125 mph testing on the North East Corridor was submitted to FRA by MARC. IDOT/JPE will send letter of concurrence.
So the engine for unit #1 has been fired up. Some small slippage in the production, but nothing major. Sadly, that can't be said for Nippon-Sharyo for which there are some ominous notes in the April 12 minutes on how many cars might be able to be built, but that is for the bi-level corridor car thread.

It may be time to for Amtrak, the states, and the Next Gen Equipment Committee to talk to the Obama administration about reprogramming some of the ARRA funds. If there's enough slack time in the Siemens schedule, and not enough in the Nippon-Sharyo schedule, it would make sense to transfer funds which can't be used on the bilevels to buying more locomotives. Amtrak could certainly use them.

It may be time to for Amtrak, the states, and the Next Gen Equipment Committee to talk to the Obama administration about reprogramming some of the ARRA funds.
Or buy 20 or 30 more Viewliner II sleepers or some bag cars or bag-dorms.

But I'm not sure if Siemens or CAF could get any more cars or locomotives at all built by September of next year.

Where could anybody spend the money on infrastructure? Doubletracking many more miles CHI-StL? As far as I know there's absolutely nothing shovel ready anywhere. Maybe, maybe another stretch of CAHSR?

I think we're forgetting that Amtrak has nothing to do with the N-S coach order or the Siemens diesel locomotive order. The money wasn't designated for Amtrak, it was designated for the states and I don't think the states would want to give up their money to hand it over to Amtrak for sleepers and baggage cars.

I think we're forgetting that Amtrak has nothing to do with the N-S coach order or the Siemens diesel locomotive order. The money wasn't designated for Amtrak, it was designated for the states and I don't think the states would want to give up their money to hand it over to Amtrak for sleepers and baggage cars.
I think you are forgetting that there's a deadline on the stimulus money: Spend it by September 2017 or it reverts to the Treasury, for Congress to dispose. No way will these states get to keep the money to use on highways or whatever.

Plan A is for the states to beg Congress to extend the deadline and allow the funds to be used to pay for the delayed order.

In November we'll have a better feel for how that might go. Then Plan B thru Plan Z could get fast action. Or not.

I think there's a much better chance for the money to be put in escrow or some other trick that will keep it for the state-supported equipment than it will be for Amtrak to get its hands on any cash. Deadlines for government projects are always flexible.

The only thing which appears to be shovel-ready is the Siemens factory. If they're on schedule to deliver early enough, it might be the best place to move the money -- more Sprinters will *definitely* get used.

The only thing which appears to be shovel-ready is the Siemens factory. If they're on schedule to deliver early enough, it might be the best place to move the money -- more Sprinters will *definitely* get used.
Talking to folks in the know, I get the impression that Siemens production lines are currently fully committed through mid-2018. They are currently running about four weeks behind schedule according to latest sem-rumors. So yeah, you can get more Sprinters or Chargers sometime in 2018, not before that. That of course is kind of useless for funds that revert back to the treasury end of September 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back