Amtrak shut down in Orange County CA? (11/20/13)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertRat

Lead Service Attendant
Breaking news claim that due to police action near San Onofre involving Border Patrol and CHP, Amtrak service has been canceled. I'm a bit confused since Orange County is not that close to the Border, nor am I sure that San Onofre is in Orange County...anyway, the Amtrak site doesn't show any annoucement of cancellation...

San Onofre is indeed in Orange County. There is an Immigration Check point/Gate on Camp Pendelton on the I5 and this is where the police action is/was happening. At least for a time the I5 was closed. No word yet on what was happening.

OK thanks. I'm not familiar with the area so I was confused obviously. There was a car chase that ended with the female suspect going off the road and, judging from the chopper video, crashing into brush across some tracks. Suspect is dead and there are some people walking around the tracks.

Breaking news claim that due to police action near San Onofre involving Border Patrol and CHP, Amtrak service has been canceled. I'm a bit confused since Orange County is not that close to the Border, nor am I sure that San Onofre is in Orange County...anyway, the Amtrak site doesn't show any annoucement of cancellation...
Border Patrol operations can happen well away from the border, as well as enforcement at possible entry points via water. They have 20 field offices, and many aren't that close to any land border.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/cmcs/

San Onofre is indeed in Orange County. There is an Immigration Check point/Gate on Camp Pendelton on the I5 and this is where the police action is/was happening. At least for a time the I5 was closed. No word yet on what was happening.
Actually, San Onofre is just south of the Orange County line in San Diego County. I grew up in OC.

Border Patrol operations can happen well away from the border, as well as enforcement at possible entry points via water. They have 20 field offices, and many aren't that close to any land border.

Actually, legally, up to 100 miles.

Actually, San Onofre is just south of the Orange County line in San Diego County. I grew up in OC.
Oops, your right. I always thought the line was just south of the power station.

Actually, legally, up to 100 miles.
In an era when the president has replaced the enemies list with a kill list, the NSA can apparently spy on anyone, and the CIA can replace due process with drone strikes (including on US citizens), what exactly keeps the CBP from setting up shop in Nebraska?

Last edited by a moderator:
Devil's Advocate, thank you but I'd rather the focus stay on the incident OK? I'm looking for an update to kind of wrap this up but in the meantime, no ranting about teh ebil guvmint please.

Latest info I've found is the tracks are open. The chase started when police, acting on a tip apparently from family that the woman driver intended to kill herself, tried to stop her and she took off. She crashed off the highway at San Onofre and police found her dead of a gunshot wound. SIGH...condolences to the family.

Thanks for the clarification on where San Onofre is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back