amtrak should be dismantled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a first time rider of Amtrak and found it to be the worst experience of my life. The amount of money you pay for first class to put up with dirty,uneducated and filthy people is ridiculous. The safety factor is grossly sub par there is none to be found. Security is a joke, the rails are horribly rough causing bodily harm from your muscles being constantly jolted. Sewage gas pumped into your room whenever someone flushes a toilet is enough to make you vomit.

As a government funded entity this whole category should be shut down and the funds used more wisely.
I am sorry you did not have a pleasant Amtrak experience, but the majority of Amtrak passengers are pleased with their travel experience. Is Amtrak,perfect, absolutely not however the increase in ridership each year wouldm tend to indicate there is no reason to dismantle the company, in fact it indicates that given more money, the company could improve their rolling stock, hire and train more people and provide a more pleasant experience and continue their growth.
If you have very specific complaints, I would encourage you to contact Amtrak directly; however if you are just posting comments with no purpose, then there is nothing anyone on this forum can do for you!

I am a first time rider of Amtrak and found it to be the worst experience of my life. The amount of money you pay for first class to put up with dirty,uneducated and filthy people is ridiculous.
Could you perhaps elaborate on what other experiences you have in life to compare with? That will help us form an informed opinion about how bad it was, and also help us decide how sseriously we should take your posting. Thanks.
On the face of it, this sounds like someone throwing a juvenile tantrum because s/he had a bad ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rough rails is just someone who hasn't ridden a train before, that's what trains do... They move lol. That's like taking a cruise and complaining that the ship rocks..
Not quite the same.....the sea's (or the skies), are not maintained by man. Railways and highways are. Although outside the NEC and a few other spots, Amtrak does not own the tracks.....

All possible trollage aside, I'm not sure how Amtrak is to blame for "dirty and uneducated" people being in its ridership.

I run into people who behave badly everywhere. It's one reason I won't go grocery shopping on Friday or Saturday afternoons.

Well, I hate to read posts like this. I guess the only thing I can do is to try to balance a negative with a positive. So, this summer, as I start my X-country trip on the SWC, I'm gonna ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!! :hi:

I buy the sewage smell. Last trip on the TE one (or all not sure) of the bedrooms was bad enough to stink up the whole car. The holding tank vent must have been clogged or something. Made me glad I was in the dorm car and just had to walk through it.

I politely report the problem and how uncomfortable it was when I return home and always get a couple hundred dollar voucher.

I am a first time rider of Amtrak and found it to be the worst experience of my life. The amount of money you pay for first class to put up with dirty,uneducated and filthy people is ridiculous.
The safety factor is grossly sub par there is none to be found. Security is a joke, the rails are horribly rough causing bodily harm from your muscles being constantly jolted. Sewage gas pumped into your room whenever someone flushes a toilet is enough to make you vomit.

As a government funded entity this whole category should be shut down and the funds used more wisely.
In the future I suggest you take a cruise. Might I reccoment Carnival Cruise lines for your enjoyment.

I hope to present a fair and balanced answer to the OP.

Sure during the Golden Age of rail travel in the 30's, 40's and 50's many things were far better. You were able to get gourmet food in the dining cars (where up to 4 chefs cooked fresh food), there were far more routes to chose from, onboard service was impeccable, many trains even had a coffee shop, barber shop and a manicurist onboard. There were fancy lounge cars, observation lounges, the amenities were more abundant and the décor was attractive. Back then everyone traveled by trains and there was a boatload of competition. When the roads and air travel took most of the passenger business away, it became highly unprofitable for the private railroads. They dumped the business and the government had to step in. Now we have a largely underfunded minimalist nationwide railroad passenger system but IMO, its far from terrible. The system has its shortcomings but most of us here find it at the very least acceptable.

Would it be better if private industry stepped back in? Maybe but maybe not. All they need to do is ask and Amtrak is there's, but they are not asking!! One thing is for certain is that a national passenger rail system is vital to the USA ,as much of it serves people in rural areas that are miles from airports and where there is little or no public transportation. While I am not a big government guy, I use and support the Amtrak passenger rail system as it serves the public interest well. Isn't that what government supposed to do?

If you want the Amtrak system to be dismantled, then tell us what you would replace it with?

Perhaps we're just really lucky, but we've never had a truly bad trip on Amtrak. To the OP, please give us more details; you might find some who've experienced some of the same. I'm sorry about your bad experiences.

Taking the OP literally: Amtrak should not be dismantled. As someone already posted, it serves many who otherwise would have no other form of public transportation. Also, please be aware that, especially in the Northeast, more highways and airports would have to be built to accommodate those who currently use Amtrak. Most of the world's trains require some subsidies, as does Amtrak. Regarding that subject, Amtrak gets only a drop in the bucket compared to highway and air money. Should we dismantle the FAA? Each person build their own road? Almost everyone accepts those huge government fund outlays, but many will then scream about Amtrak. smh

I really think this thread was a "post & run", since the OP has not been back since to "defend" their decision. I am closing this thread.

if the OP wants to give clear reason why it should, I invite him/her to contact me by PM, and I'll reopen the thread at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back