Amtrak Sale: Seniors Save an Additional 10%

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, for Coach travel only, no upgrades to Sleepers or even Business Class!
Darn! That screws up the Crescent trip I was gonna take with my grandparents in roomettes.
default_angry.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The discounts never did apply to rooms except the rail fare portion. Not sure about BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Unfortunately, for Coach travel only, no upgrades to Sleepers or even Business Class!
Yeh. Big deal. Rejecting the high prices sleepers command in exchange for giving up 10% of the much smaller rail fare seems like another case of shooting themselves in the foot.

Received the e-mail; oh boy, I thought! Need to make an Amtrak reservation soon. Disappointment: the dates of travel don't work for me!

Darn! That screws up the Crescent trip I was gonna take with my grandparents in roomettes.
default_angry.png
If you were going to take a trip, how does this screw it up? Take the trip.

I believe discounts do apply to BC.
"This offer is valid for Coach seats only; no accommodation upgrades permitted." It seems unambiguous to me.

Yeh. Big deal. Rejecting the high prices sleepers command in exchange for giving up 10% of the much smaller rail fare seems like another case of shooting themselves in the foot.
It depends on the occupancy rates of the sleepers. If they are selling at full fare then shooting themselves in the foot would be giving up that revenue via discount.

This is a three day sale, focused on travel before the busy summer. Sounds like an effort to get people to commit now their money. Could be that the Senior traffic is lower this year so they are trying to bolster it up some.

It depends on the occupancy rates of the sleepers. If they are selling at full fare then shooting themselves in the foot would be giving up that revenue via discount.
Not necessarily. If a short term discount brings in new customers, even if those customers are paying slightly less, that can be worth it.

I believe discounts do apply to BC.
"This offer is valid for Coach seats only; no accommodation upgrades permitted." It seems unambiguous to me.
I was talking about discounts in general, not this particular offer. If you noticed the AmtrakBlue post I quoted, that should have been pretty unambiguous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not necessarily. If a short term discount brings in new customers, even if those customers are paying slightly less, that can be worth it.
Again depends on the occupancy trends. I'm sure the decisions are being made based on far more detailed data than you or I have access to. Although in any case I question the logic of trying to make long term customers out of the demographic that by definition has the fewest years left to be a customer.

Although in any case I question the logic of trying to make long term customers out of the demographic that by definition has the fewest years left to be a customer.
a) That was really dark.b) If someone is 65 years old and in good health, they could easily be a customer for the next 15-20 years. If you're looking that far in the future, any demographic at any age may at some point stop riding Amtrak. Maybe your argument would be applicable to some special discount for riders of at least 110 years of age who have high blood pressure and diabetes - that it's unrealistic to expect a long term customer. Otherwise, it's not really relevant.

Back