Amtrak routes on Google Maps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
I can't get SWC from CHI to LAX to show up on either Google or Bing Maps.

Google shows Texas Eagle, and CZ to CS. Bing shows mostly buses with lots of connections (including one bus apparently named Silver Streak.) When I try CHI to intermediate stops in CO or NM, Google mostly says no transit routing is available.

I'm thinking SWC is either missing or screwed up on Amtrak's schedule data feed.

Similar situation but less severe for Cardinal from WAS to CHI. Google shows Cardinal to Indianapolis, then Greyhound or Flixbus the rest of the way. But it will show the Cardinal when Indianapolis is the starting point to CHI.

Last edited:
I think google pulls it's information from the system that airlines use. A really interesting, useful and just plain good YouTube explanation was posted maybe two weeks ago about how that system worked and it mentioned how google pulls in the information. I think that is why a lot of transit systems info doesn't appear on google maps as well.

I'd assumed they were using the same data feed as the folks who are building the RPA timetables, which is a standardized format that's also used by all the transit tracking apps out there, but I might be wrong.

In the early days of Google Transit the Amtrak info was being entered by volunteers. If a train went through Davis it was sure to show up. Given that UC Davis has long been a hotbed of interest in alternative transport modes I concluded that someone there was typing it in. I thought that things were better now.

Back