Amtrak related BBC production from 1980

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonesfan

Service Attendant
Well worth a view, including some GG1 action, The Zephyr, excellent camerawork, and an interesting lowdown on Amtrak during 1980. Bear in mind this is an original VHS recording from this time, (in fact it was one of the first programmes my dad ever recorded using his brand new JVC recorder!) so the quality is very average. Managed to upload it in 7 parts for your viewing pleasure. Have had to silence the recording in a small section of part 2 due to a muscial copyright issue.

Be interesting to see if anyone Stateside has ever actually seen this.

Great Railway Journeys of the World Coast to Coast USA 1980 part 1

Great Railway Journeys of the World Coast to Coast USA 1980 part 2

Great Railway Journeys of the World Coast to Coast USA 1980 part 3

Great Railway Journeys of the World Coast to Coast USA 1980 part 4

Great Railway Journeys of the World Coast to Coast USA 1980 part 5

Great Railway Journeys of the World Coast to Coast USA 1980 part 6

Great Railway Journeys of the World Coast to Coast USA 1980 part 7

Is this the one where the video guy walks through the train in the mornig with Bill Withers singing lovely day? I think I remember this. They were riding the Broadway Limited.

Most enjoyable, thanks! Seeing the old equipment is both nostalgic and a reminder of the improvements that have happened in the past 20 years on Amtrak! (Superliners/Lots better colors both inside and out! )The sad part was the condition of the Dearborn Station in CHI!Really enjoyed the part about the old Rio Grande Zephyr, last of the "old" passenger trains! The lounge car really was a lounge, smoking!drinking! and if I'm not mistaken was there a piano on that lounge car? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather like the way that everyone is casually smoking on the train! Those were the days.

Is this the one where the video guy walks through the train in the mornig with Bill Withers singing lovely day? I think I remember this. They were riding the Broadway Limited.
Yes it was. And this was the musical piece that youtube seemed to take exception with, thus it was removed!

Would the forum members on here probably agree this period was probably the low point of long distance American Railroad travel? Thats the impression that the narrator and passengers seemed to be giving. The scene of Harrisburg Station is actually pretty moving if for all the wrong reasons. And is it just me, but they didnt half choose some wierd people to interview!!!!!

By the way, the narrator Ludovic Kennedy fought in WW2 and although not directly involved, was in and around the area where the Bismark sank.

Most enjoyable, thanks! Seeing the old equipment is both nostalgic and a reminder of the improvements that have happened in the past 20 years on Amtrak! (Superliners/Lots better colors both inside and out! )The sad part was the condition of the Dearborn Station in CHI!Really enjoyed the part about the old Rio Grande Zephyr, last of the "old" passenger trains! The lounge car really was a lounge, smoking!drinking! and if I'm not mistaken was there a piano on that lounge car? :unsure:

Yup, all of that stuff was allowed back then. Even a piano in the louge!

I watched the show this morning, was neat to see the shape of things 30 years ago. I thought it was interesting that the Amtrak representative in California was talking about how it was the most fuel efficient mode of travel and how that has become an important part of their marketing today (don't know if they ever used it in the past). The lounge was really happening, the lady with 4 Schlitz beers singing and the piano player, would be a neat experience, but I doubt we will ever see anything like that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it was. And this was the musical piece that youtube seemed to take exception with, thus it was removed!
Aloha

Seems strange that a small part of the original be the only Copyright question youtube would be concerned about. And since the song originally was included in the film copyright, and now the film is clear why isn't that song clear? my Answer youtube has no clue of copyright provisions, by forcing you to edit another s work you may be guilty of copyright infringement. Just a thought.

Mahalo for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back