Amtrak President selection/confirmation/removal process?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

Conductor
What is the general process for the selection and if necessary, removal of the president of Amtrak? I know up front there's a nomination process followed by confirmation, but is that it? What about removal? Impeachment and senate trial?

49 U.S. Code § 24303

Amtrak has a President and other officers that are named and appointed by the board of directors of Amtrak. An officer of Amtrak must be a citizen of the United States. Officers of Amtrak serve at the pleasure of the board.

49 U.S. Code § 24303

Amtrak has a President and other officers that are named and appointed by the board of directors of Amtrak. An officer of Amtrak must be a citizen of the United States. Officers of Amtrak serve at the pleasure of the board.
The President can be removed or in Joe Boardman's case, want to retire and collect his or god forbid her RR Retirement Pension.

Because IMO they're are to few female railroaders. Also like the office of President of this country, Amtrak hasn't had a Female President & CEO.

I don't mean god forbid in a bad way.

We need sarcasm tags.

Or we can use logical reasoning to suss out the fact that Steve's a reasonable guy and wouldn't mean crap like that.
This.

I read it as pure sarcasm. I think we all know Steve well enough to know he isn't some crazy woman-hater.

. Also like the office of President of this country, Amtrak hasn't had a Female President & CEO.
Enlighten me please. How many women have put in for or expressed interest in the job or the positions leading up to it? I've never noticed a woman applying for chief transportation office either which is a natural progression...if you leave out the politics.

Try to hold your laughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
That really just speaks to a significantly larger imbalance at many levels across pretty much every organization.

It's not so much a swipe at Amtrak as it is a commentary on the continuing gender gap in our society.

That really just speaks to a significantly larger imbalance at many levels across pretty much every organization.

It's not so much a swipe at Amtrak as it is a commentary on the continuing gender gap in our society.
Or we women are too smart to get tangled up in these messes. :giggle:

It's an age thing partly: leftovers of history The US had a *very* high level of offical institutionalized sexism right up until 1972, when the Supreme Court ruled that job advertisements weren't allowed to be sex-segregated. Anyone who grew up before 1972 was in a culture absolutely *mired* in sexism, where it was routine to advertise jobs to "men only".

And we generally appoint older people to the upper levels of organizations.

There are more female railroaders *now*. But Joe Boardman was born in 1948, and in that age bracket there are very very few.

There's still institutional sexism now, of course, and it's still a serious problem, but it was really really bad before the 1970s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because IMO they're are to few female railroaders. Also like the office of President of this country, Amtrak hasn't had a Female President & CEO.

I don't mean god forbid in a bad way.
It sure came out that way.
My apologies. That is why I cleared it up. :)

We need sarcasm tags.

Or we can use logical reasoning to suss out the fact that Steve's a reasonable guy and wouldn't mean crap like that.
Define reasonable. :p In all seriousness I was raised to keep my Negative comments to myself. Which sometimes I struggle with, and I admit that. But thank you Ryan for calling me a reasonable guy! :)

We need sarcasm tags.

This.

I read it as pure sarcasm. I think we all know Steve well enough to know he isn't some crazy woman-hater.
Nah, not crazy women hater or any woman hater. I mean I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my Mom, who last time I checked was a woman. :p And one that knows how to drive me and my poor brother crazy sometimes. But it's ok we do that to her in return. It's a vicious cycle. :p

. Also like the office of President of this country, Amtrak hasn't had a Female President & CEO.
Enlighten me please. How many women have put in for or expressed interest in the job or the positions leading up to it? I've never noticed a woman applying for chief transportation office either which is a natural progression...if you leave out the politics.

Try to hold your laughter.
TR, that is exactly my point. No woman has expressed interest in being in charge of the company. I don't have the answers on why that is, I'm sure no one has any answers, I don't want to say political reasons might be behind it, but it could be. I am one who would like to see a woman who has the ability to say to a committee on the Hill that Amtrak needs funding for this and that, and that if it doesn't come along the NEC would cripple, as well as standing up for the LD System. I think that Mr. Boardman has done a decent job at this. And David Gunn did a super job at standing up to Capitol Hill saying that everything that was said is complete and udder nonsense. Bringing credibility back to Amtrak.

This! It took until our 44th president for the president to be a non caucasian president. And it's possible that President 45 will not be a woman either, but it's also possible that it could be a woman. In the year 2016 we live in a country that still has racism and bias against women. Which is not how this country should be.

Mother, god rest her soul, used to begin many a conversation by saying she was born before women had the right to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back