Amtrak President and CEO Joe Boardman named Railroader of the Year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Amtrak President and CEO Joe Boardman named Railroader of the Year

December 9, 2013: Joseph H. Boardman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Amtrak, has been named 2014 Railroader of the Year by railroad industry trade journal Railway Age.
“Joe Boardman, who came to Amtrak after his tenure as Federal Railroad Administrator, has been chief executive for the past five years, far longer than any of his post-Graham Claytor predecessors,” said Railway Age Editor-in-Chief William C. Vantuono. “Under his watch, Amtrak has posted record ridership and revenues, ordered a new fleet of electric locomotives for the Northeast Corridor and new single-level long-distance cars, developed a long-term strategy for additional new rolling stock acquisitions, and is effectively administering major capital programs. Boardman has a sustainable vision for the future of U.S. intercity passenger rail, which includes higher-speed services. As such, he is a deserving recipient of our Railroader of the Year award.”

Last edited by a moderator:
That is excellent news. Has the award ever been given to someone not connected to the Class I's?

That is excellent news. Has the award ever been given to someone not connected to the Class I's?
Joe Boardman is Railway Age’s 51st Railroader of the Year. He is the first Amtrak chief executive since the legendary W. Graham Claytor Jr. in 1989 to be named Railroader of the Year. Modern Railroads magazine founded the award, one of the most prestigious in the railroad industry, in 1964 as the “Man of the Year.”Railway Age acquired Modern Railroads in 1991 and has presented the award annually since then.

:cool: Mr. Boardman has his Detractors (even some of Us on AU Fault his Decisions)but this is Good News for Amtrak and Rail Fans since the Micro Managers in Congress Pay Attention to Publicity and Awards! It's their Life Blood and the Reality that Most of these Empty Suits Exist in!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the brain fart; I guess I meant Class i FREIGHTS, and I guess I meant to include the word "RECENTLY." Anyway, it's still a great accomplishment. Being that it's a Class I, by the way, is Amtrak then a member of the Association of American Railroads?

Funny, when you go to their site, all you see is references extolling the virtues of America's FREIGHT railroads; looks like Amtrak is the ******* child of the family at the dinner table, but then I'd expect that.

Amtrak is an interesting case all around. It is a member of AAR because it meets the track ownership and revenue criteria for Class I, and it is also a major host for freight on the NEC.

Amtrak is a leading member of NORAC which defines the signal rules used in the Northeast.

Amtrak is also a member of UIC the last time I looked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back