Amtrak platform and gates at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished a NYP-NWK points run on Regional #141 (on a POH-YNY-NYP-NWK-PHL) over 4 days, and got to Penn Station just 10 minutes before. There was a long line at the gate police dogs and a table. I went downstairs and found more cops. By the staircase. I show them my ticket and say I tell them "I do this all the time." One cop then tells me: "Not today for the next year or ever again." There is another passenger who clearly boards via the exit concourse all the time as well..

I go back up to the long line and as I get towards the gate I of course am "the randomly selected passenger" (I'm convinced due to the fact I lack real luggage) to get my bag searched. I ask what happens if I say no. They tell me I can't board the train. I ask if I can get a refund. They say yes.

Strangely the AmCops never ask for my ID or my ticket. The conductor is at the bottom of the staircase and I ask him to scan my ticket there for the points. He is friendly and does for an uneventful ride to Newark (posting this on PATH back)

I just finished a NYP-NWK points run on Regional #141 (on a POH-YNY-NYP-NWK-PHL) over 4 days, and got to Penn Station just 10 minutes before. There was a long line at the gate police dogs and a table. I went downstairs and found more cops. By the staircase. I show them my ticket and say I tell them "I do this all the time." One cop then tells me: "Not today for the next year or ever again." There is another passenger who clearly boards via the exit concourse all the time as well..

I go back up to the long line and as I get towards the gate I of course am "the randomly selected passenger" (I'm convinced due to the fact I lack real luggage) to get my bag searched. I ask what happens if I say no. They tell me I can't board the train. I ask if I can get a refund. They say yes.

Strangely the AmCops never ask for my ID or my ticket. The conductor is at the bottom of the staircase and I ask him to scan my ticket there for the points. He is friendly and does for an uneventful ride to Newark (posting this on PATH back)
Were they covering the east NJT/LIRR entrances to the platforms? How about the West Concourse on the other side of 8th Avenue? Probably not. It's not security, it's a power trip ala noun-verb-9/11 Rudy Giuliani.

I believe this security theater BS was installed in order to fend off the even crazier TSA/NYPD behavior, which was being seriously proposed. Unfortunately we have a President who supports the BS security theater.

Did you try the elevators? They're not really allowed to block the elevators (ADA, you know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back