Amtrak @ Penn Station, NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan

I have read a lot of things about Penn station being Hectic and Chaoatic. But what i was trying to find out was where do arriving passengers travelling on Amtrak from Albany -> NYC usually walk out from after getting off their trains? Or just a rough idea of where they will end up?

I am meeting someone in a few weeks at Penn Station and was wanting to know where the best place to meet is when she is coming from Albany on Amtrak? And also where arriving passengers end up after they get off the train?

Everyones help would be much appreciated =)

I have read a lot of things about Penn station being Hectic and Chaoatic. But what i was trying to find out was where do arriving passengers travelling on Amtrak from Albany -> NYC usually walk out from after getting off their trains? Or just a rough idea of where they will end up?

I am meeting someone in a few weeks at Penn Station and was wanting to know where the best place to meet is when she is coming from Albany on Amtrak? And also where arriving passengers end up after they get off the train?

Everyones help would be much appreciated =)
Was it not you who asked this same question a couple of weeks ago??? See this thread... :help: :help: :eek:hboy:

Aww yeh yeh... Sorry i was a little confused on the station as a whole then.. now im just more wondering where Amtrak passengers would end up upon arrival?

Aww yeh yeh... Sorry i was a little confused on the station as a whole then.. now im just more wondering where Amtrak passengers would end up upon arrival?

Sorry i read your initial post.. you pretty much answered my question. So is Penn Station really a 'turn up on the day and see what happens' kinda thing? Like you wont know where they will arrive until the day?

Thanks for your help!!

Telling someone to meet you at Penn Station, NY is almost like telling someone to meet you in New York. You must specify a precise meeting point, or you may never find each other. You can simply say meet me at the Amtrak main information booth, or Amtrak Station Services office, as every major station will have one or its equivalent. Or meet me at a specific spot like Main Level, West Gate, Track Number Eight...

As far as arrivals, even if you know the arrival track, there are several exits from that platform leading to several different exits from the station, so again, just name a meeting point....

Penn Station is an incredibly confusing place. For a first time visitor, it can be daunting, between rushing crowds, the multiple tracks, the multiple levels, and the absence of absence of a central hall e.g. Grand Central Station

In May i suggested a friend meet me at a certain track number. I was waiting up on upper east side, and he was a level below me, at the same track entrance. Only by salvation of a cell phone did we connect.

Thus, I would suggest that you meet at a designated street corner, just outside the Station. I would suggest the SW corner of 33rd & 8th Avenue. And make sure both of you have cell phones that are known to each other, and that are turned on.

Good luck!

Trains from Albany must arrive on tracks 5 through 8, they cannot arrive on any other track at the station due to how the switches are setup there.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't really help you, as there are stairs and escalators that one could take that would leave you in the New Jersey Transit waiting area or the Amtrak waiting area. And when you're downstairs on the platform, it's not always real clear which stair/escalator leads where. This is the problem with trying to tell you just where to stand, as you could be waiting for them at the top of the stairs in the Amtrak area and they end up coming up in the NJT area.

You best bet is to pick a meeting place, my favorite is right outside the Club Acela lounge area as it is kind of out of the flow and way of everyone. But they could still have an issue trying to find that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back