Amtrak Outlets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am aware it is the AMERICAN kind on an AMERICAN train.I would like to know if it is a two

prong or three prong grounded plug.

The are 120 volt single phase household outlets. 3 prong. Most folks will bring a power strip along. I recommend one with a long and a short cord. I was in a bedroom that the over the shoulder outlet by the window did not work, so I had to use the outlet by the sink. Thankfully I had a long enough cord, but it was kind of a pain to walk over it to my DVD player on the table.

Thanks for the replies.Have waited an entire year to make this trip.Our 60th anniversary.

Never did a train trip before and we are so excited.We leave this Friday.Going coast to coast to coast.

Just out of curiosity, to what exactly is the ground of these outlets connected to? Is it a(n) UL 467, NEC 250, and NESC approved ground?

I imagine the ground is bonded to the train car body, which in turn is grounded to the rails via the trucks. The rails themselves are grounded, of course.

Not sure what part of the NEC applies; there are special rules for vehicles.

Also, some of the bedroom outlets are recessed and may not accommodate a "brick" power adapter. An extension cord/power strip is very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine the ground is bonded to the train car body, which in turn is grounded to the rails via the trucks. The rails themselves are grounded, of course.
I had thought of that, but stopped when I got to the ties, being either wood or concrete (both rather non-conductive).

get a ikea 1 foot tap . they are cheap and have a 3 way at the end of a short cord . and come in REAL handy in the loungecars for cell phone power bricks .

or like wise get a power liberator ....

as for GND . well you're in a giant metal tube :) .

Peter

I brought a power strip with me on my LD trip. It was awesome. Best thing I brought (besides my scanner!)

as for GND . well you're in a giant metal tube :) .
I think that potentially makes it far more dangerous.

Kind of like making toast while taking a bath.
THAT's what's wrong with America today, no one is willing to do big things (Interstate Highway, land a man-on-the-moon) anymore.
I challenge each of you to do what I do each and every day, make toast while in the bathtub. Hey, why not go down swinging! MOW! MOW!

I think that potentially makes it far more dangerous.

Kind of like making toast while taking a bath.
Not really. Water is a conductor, air is not. If you happen to be touching metal (unlikely, given the carpet and plastic interior) at the same time something plugged in has a ground fault (also extremely unlikely) then maybe you'll get shocked. But you'd have a better odds of getting struck by lightning.

Not sure what part of the NEC applies; there are special rules for vehicles.

Also, some of the bedroom outlets are recessed and may not accommodate a "brick" power adapter. An extension cord/power strip is very helpful.
Great point. My crackberry charger did not fit in the Superliner roomette outlets but worked in the Viewliner roomette.

Thanks for the replies.Have waited an entire year to make this trip.Our 60th anniversary.

Never did a train trip before and we are so excited.We leave this Friday.Going coast to coast to coast.
Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back