Amtrak Now Has a "Travel Planner Available"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amfleet said:
Anyone notice the flying P-42 on the cover? Yes, when you look real closely the units truck is not actually touching the track. :blink:
Is Amtrak planning something, my be Flying trains? :D :p :lol:

Here's something you will (almost) NEVER see. There is a photo of Amtrak Engine 111 hauling a bunch of AmCans across Hell Gate in New York. Nevuh Gonna Happen!

Amfleet said:
Or Amtrak's going "maglev"!!!! :lol:
Hey "Maglev" would be great! But I like the sound of the wheels on the track. :)

And battalion51,

Here's something you will (almost) NEVER see. There is a photo of Amtrak Engine 111 hauling a bunch of AmCans across Hell Gate in New York. Nevuh Gonna Happen!
Why Is That?

Diesel locomotives can NEVER run through the East River or Hudson River tunnels and the Hell Gate is only a few miles from where the entrance to the East River Tunnels are. So if a diesel were to run over the Hell Gate it would have to be terminated in Sunnyside or have and electric locomotive bring it under and into Penn Station.

There was another picture in the 2002 version of the travel planner which had that perfect all Phase IV Amfleet consist being hauled by 111 up the Hudson line along the Hudson River. Thats another seen that cant happen, You would need dual mode 700 series engines on trains through here.

I realize it's been a month since this topic was last active but I made a discovery while cleaning out my room today (don't worry getting a bigger room, I plan on painting it into Phase VI). Anyway I found a Travel Planner from 2001 underneath my bed. If you look on page 57 of the 2001 guide you'll see what is the cover of the current guide, with a few subtle changes. The Engines in the old guide are in Phase III, there are four of them, 807 leading, 74 trailing facing backwards, and two more units facing forward, can't tell what their numbers are though. Well I guess who ever dressed this picture up in the art department wanted the picture to look authentic as possible, so they just reused the previous road numbers from the real picture and popped in a couple of Superliners to fill in where the other engines were. I feel much better about that cover now. :D

battalion51 said:
I realize it's been a month since this topic was last active but I made a discovery while cleaning out my room today (don't worry getting a bigger room, I plan on painting it into Phase VI). Anyway I found a Travel Planner from 2001 underneath my bed. If you look on page 57 of the 2001 guide you'll see what is the cover of the current guide, with a few subtle changes. The Engines in the old guide are in Phase III, there are four of them, 807 leading, 74 trailing facing backwards, and two more units facing forward, can't tell what their numbers are though. Well I guess who ever dressed this picture up in the art department wanted the picture to look authentic as possible, so they just reused the previous road numbers from the real picture and popped in a couple of Superliners to fill in where the other engines were. I feel much better about that cover now. :D
Are the locomotives "flying" in the 2001 Travel Planner like they are on the 2003 (you'll notice the wheels are slightly off the ground).

No I think it's an original photo, things have shadows, dirt, soot, etc. on them. I think the art department didn't worry so much about small things like that since it wasn't the cover picture and it was the Warrington era. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back