Amtrak Northern Flyer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Conductor
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...ta_N.htm?csp=34

Fischer Stout said the bill will be sponsored by Sen. Dick Kelsey, R-Goddard, and probably another senator.

The city of Wichita and many other cities in Kansas and Oklahoma have officially endorsed the route.

Any action likely will hinge on Amtrak's study.

Trains often don't make enough profit to cover their costs, but advocates say other benefits show trains are an overall benefit.

Advocates hope that support for the rail service in Kansas and Oklahoma will draw federal stimulus dollars to pay for all start-up costs. The state would pay Amtrak to operate the line.

Wichita had passenger rail service until 1979, when it averaged about 260,000 riders a year, Fischer Stout said. A new line is expected serve about 150,000 riders a year.

It would be great if it was a night train. That way you could connect a Lincoln service to Missouri River Runner to future Northern Flyer (since it will surely be state funded) to Heartland Flyer for 1000 points from CHI to FTW

The campaign for this new service has been organized by city councils and civic leaders across Oklahoma and Kansas. The Alliance is unified and resolute about this train running on a daytime schedule. Their constituents have written thousands of communications to the Governor and state department of transportation on this issue. The Kansas state legislature has an authorization bill for a state passenger rail program ready to go up this session. Their primary interest is economic improvement and development for the communities along the route. They recognize that there are strong indicators of less ridership and no economic development associated with a night train through these states.

The state legislatures will authorize the DOT's to enter a contract with Amtrak. It does not appear probable that the State of Kansas will request and/or contract for anything other than daytime service. If there is insistence from some entity, Amtrak or some other element, this service will not happen.

The campaign for this new service has been organized by city councils and civic leaders across Oklahoma and Kansas. The Alliance is unified and resolute about this train running on a daytime schedule. Their constituents have written thousands of communications to the Governor and state department of transportation on this issue. The Kansas state legislature has an authorization bill for a state passenger rail program ready to go up this session. Their primary interest is economic improvement and development for the communities along the route. They recognize that there are strong indicators of less ridership and no economic development associated with a night train through these states.
The state legislatures will authorize the DOT's to enter a contract with Amtrak. It does not appear probable that the State of Kansas will request and/or contract for anything other than daytime service. If there is insistence from some entity, Amtrak or some other element, this service will not happen.
Wow someone took their super serious meds today. Of course it will be a day train, but it would be awesome to have a night train to connect the four routes and go from FTW to CHI for 1000 points. Any speculation about new routes is usually 99 percent dreaming anyway so my dreams of a 1000 point trip are just more of the same BS.

So if I have to go from Fort Worth to Wichita, am I going to have to layover in OKC for 8 or 10 hours over night? That kind of stinks.

I saw the KDOT scope study that Amtrak is using for its analysis. The proposal seeks no change in the existing heartland flyer, rather their would be two additional trains departing around 7:00 am from both Kansas City and Fort Worth, terminating in Fort Worth and Kansas City about 13 hours later.

So if I have to go from Fort Worth to Wichita, am I going to have to layover in OKC for 8 or 10 hours over night? That kind of stinks.

I saw the KDOT scope study that Amtrak is using for its analysis. The proposal seeks no change in the existing heartland flyer, rather their would be two additional trains departing around 7:00 am from both Kansas City and Fort Worth, terminating in Fort Worth and Kansas City about 13 hours later.
Now that would give me FOUR TRAINS DAILY through here!!!! I'll be spending half my day at the station watching them come through if I'm not riding them ;) :lol: :eek:

I did read the report but I was a little confused by it. Maybe you can help me understand what they want:

So there would be a train north from FTW-OKC-KCY running from 7 am to 9 pm or whatever?

Then at 5:25 pm the Heartland Flyer would leave FTW and terminate OKC as it does now?

Southbound, you leave KCY at around 7 AM and arrive FTW at 9 PM.

Also current HF leaves OKC at 8:25 AM and arrives FTW at 12:30 PM.

Sounds alright to me in some ways. Though if you're coming from Austin, you won't be able to go all the way to Kansas City or vice versa. You could only go as far as OKC. This could be solved if the current Heartland Flyer just be extended to Newton, and just turn back there. This in addition to daytime Northern Flyer.

Second question is, would Kansas foot to bill to run the daytime train all they way to Texas? Where does Oklahoma stand on this? I'm sure Texas would eventually help pay for it, but we down here are little behind on things on getting our own state sponsored rail system going.

I did read the report but I was a little confused by it. Maybe you can help me understand what they want:
So there would be a train north from FTW-OKC-KCY running from 7 am to 9 pm or whatever?

Then at 5:25 pm the Heartland Flyer would leave FTW and terminate OKC as it does now?

Southbound, you leave KCY at around 7 AM and arrive FTW at 9 PM.

Also current HF leaves OKC at 8:25 AM and arrives FTW at 12:30 PM.

Sounds alright to me in some ways. Though if you're coming from Austin, you won't be able to go all the way to Kansas City or vice versa. You could only go as far as OKC. This could be solved if the current Heartland Flyer just be extended to Newton, and just turn back there. This in addition to daytime Northern Flyer.

Second question is, would Kansas foot to bill to run the daytime train all they way to Texas? Where does Oklahoma stand on this? I'm sure Texas would eventually help pay for it, but we down here are little behind on things on getting our own state sponsored rail system going.

Color me confused too... reading the reports in the Wichita KS paper, it sounds like the plan is to extend the Heartland Flyer train to KC, not run a whole new train set from DFW to KC. Also, FWIW, the Kansas state budget is a mess this year with a big fight brewing about additional spending cuts, funding for schools, a possible lawsuit for school funding, complaints about closure of certain state services, and a proposal for higher state taxes. It'll be a blast to watch, particularly with a Democratic governor who isn't running for re-election, and a fairly conservative state legislature. I would anticipate lots of eggs being thrown in the ensuing debate. To what extent that derails funding the train remains to be seen, the Northern Flyer group has done a good job preparing their position, including getting wide coverage for a University of Kansas study showing the train more than paying for itself in economic ripple effects.

here the link to the prosed plan.

http://www.northflyer.org/resources/NFA-KD...es-08-03-14.pdf

Option one: 2 of the 3 traniset would overnight in OKC. with a morning departure north and south. the other would be in KC for a morning departure

Option two: extend train only to newton. Requires only one train set. the train would connect with both train 3 and 4 (at 3:00 am)

Option three: Morning departure out of KC and FTW 2 train sets. the would not connect with either the 3/4 or TE

option 4: current heartland would not change add a morning departure out of "Wichita" both North and South.

KDOT says the KC to OKC trip time between 6:30 to 8:30

Over the last two years I have been able to attend some of the Alliance's public meetings, and sat in on two of the Kansas legislative hearings on the initiative.

This effort involves three states Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas, and proposes adding trains over the corridor as one of the operational scenarios that Amtrak is studying as mentioned above.

Since September there have been monthly "go to meeting" planning conferences involving officials, DOT's and Alliance communities of the three states. The next is scheduled for the morning of January 21st.

The authorization for an intercity passenger rail program (which does not exist in Kansas) will be filed this week in the Kansas senate.

The authorization has been drafted by about 30 legislators, both parties and both Chambers, w/ Senator Kelsey as the sponsor. Knowing the realities of the Kansas budget this bill will not request funding in 2010. Kansas however must have a mechanism to secure federal capital funds in preparation for entering a state rail agreement with Amtrak possibly by 2012.

Amtrak should finish the feasibility study within 3 months, and it will include estimates for an operational contract for each of the four scenarios. Although a "midnight train to Georgia" (Newton,KS) may be the least expensive contract, it is also the least desirable from the perspective of 3 dozen city councils and another 40 civic organizations that are requesting this new service.

No one expects that a daytime operational contract will be significantly higher than the contract Missouri currently has with Amtrak for 4 trains $8 Million in 2009). In fact, operational scenario C is roughly similar to the Rutledge/RiverRunner operational scenario in Illinois and Missouri. Operational scenario C would have the Heartland Flyer depart in the morning from Oklahoma City for Fort Worth and return in the evening. The NEW service would have 2 aditional morning departures of two additional trains from Kansas City and Fort Worth, arriving in the corresponding cities around 8:00 pm

Operational scenario C would have the Heartland Flyer depart in the morning from Oklahoma City for Fort Worth and return in the evening. The NEW service would have 2 aditional morning departures of two additional trains from Kansas City and Fort Worth, arriving in the corresponding cities around 8:00 pm
As long as the connection from 821/822 to 21/22 isn't broken (especially if the 21/22 - 1/2 swap happens), then this is a good thing. If the "day train" doesn't connect with anything, then it's kind of useless.

Operational scenario C would have the Heartland Flyer depart in the morning from Oklahoma City for Fort Worth and return in the evening. The NEW service would have 2 aditional morning departures of two additional trains from Kansas City and Fort Worth, arriving in the corresponding cities around 8:00 pm
As long as the connection from 821/822 to 21/22 isn't broken (especially if the 21/22 - 1/2 swap happens), then this is a good thing. If the "day train" doesn't connect with anything, then it's kind of useless.
This is where it gets tricky because to allow for daytime service in Kansas and allow connections with the Eagles and SW Chiefs will require some interesting scheduling and likely 4 sets.

being a state-sponsored train, all that matters is what's useful to kansas.

SB 409 authorizing a state passenger rail program was filed in the Kansas Senate this week. A hearing on the bill in the Trasnportation committee is being planned in early February.

SB 409 authorizing a state passenger rail program was filed in the Kansas Senate this week. A hearing on the bill in the Trasnportation committee is being planned in early February.
That sounds like an invitation to yet more studies. Let's hurry up and get the dam thing through!

That sounds like an invitation to yet more studies. Let's hurry up and get the dam thing through!
January 21, 2019

Journal of the Senate

EIGHTH DAY

SENATE CHAMBER, TOPEKA, KANSAS

Thursday, January 21, 2010—2:30 p.m.

The Senate was called to order by Vice President John Vratil.

The roll was called with forty senators present.

Vice President Vratil introduced as guest chaplain, Rev. Robert H. Meneilly, Pastor

emeritus, Village Presbyterian Church, Prairie Village, Kansas, who delivered the invocation.

God of all peoples, whatever our faith or absence of faith, attend we pray, this

solemn assembly of public servants.

Bless these who have been chosen by the citizens of Kansas that they may do

their work in a spirit of wisdom, kindness and justice. Give to these women and

men a stubborn determination to make for civility in politics, and a determination

to work in a bipartisan way that our state may flourish. Especially in these trying

times of insufficient funds and public discord, guide each of these, both the mind

and heart, to discern your will and do it. Help them to exercise their authority

to serve faithfully, and to promote the general welfare of all citizens alike, forever

keeping our faith communities and public policy separate. Cause your will to

come through loudly and clearly so that not one can miss what is right, just and

true, so help us God.

Amen

The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Vice President John Vratil.

INTRODUCTION OF BILLS AND CONCURRENT RESOLUTIONS

The following bills were introduced and read by title:

SB 406, An act concerning taxation; relating to delinquent taxes; establishing service fee

for taxpayers on installment payment plans, by Committee on Assessment and Taxation.

SB 407, An act concerning the liquor enforcement tax; relating to violations of such law;

prescribing penalties therefor; licensees and persons required to be licensed, by Committee

on Assessment and Taxation.

SB 408, An act relating to vehicles; concerning the registration thereof; amending K.S.A.

2009 Supp. 8-145d and repealing the existing section, by Committee on Transportation.

SB 409, An act establishing the passenger rail service program; providing for powers and

duties of the secretary of transportation; establishing the passenger rail service revolving

fund, by Committee on Ways and Means.

SB 410, An act concerning certain electronic payments received by state agencies;

imposing notice requirements and civil penalty; amending K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-30,100 and

repealing the existing section, by Committee on Ways and Means.

SB 411, An act concerning crimes and punishment; relating to criminal possession of a

firearm; amending K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 21-4204 and repealing the existing section, by

Committee on Judiciary.

SB 412, An act concerning taxation upon certain tobacco products; relating to little cigars;

amending K.S.A. 79-3371 and K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 79-3301 and repealing the existing sections,

by Committee on Federal and State Affairs

Studies have been done.

The Kansas DOT does not have the perogative to act without this type of authorization. All next steps appear to be dependent on this critical action. Many key legislators in both chambers and both parties are ready to sign the endorsement that will now move through the Capitol.

Studies have been done.

The Kansas DOT does not have the perogative to act without this type of authorization. All next steps appear to be dependent on this critical action. Many key legislators in both chambers and both parties are ready to sign the endorsement that will now move through the Capitol.
Also for anyone who is a Kansas voter and constituent, and, if you want this service you can help. Write to your legislators. If you don't know who they are click on this link or cut and paste: http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-legisp...edistricting.do

This is a find my legislator link and your constituent letter of support is a key factor in seeing this service established, if you really want it

Studies have been done.

Also for anyone who is a Kansas voter and constituent, and, if you want this service you can help. Write to your legislators. If you don't know who they are click on this link or cut and paste: http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-legisp...edistricting.do

This is a find my legislator link and your constituent letter of support is a key factor in seeing this service established, if you really want it
By gum!!! I don't care whether they run one or three trains from FTW to Chi...just as long as they start running an extension off of the Heartland Flyer up north thru Kansas. In all probibilty it'll come down to cost...and that probably means hooking up @Newton to catch the EB "Chief" around 3 something in the morning. BUT...that's certainly better than what we have now: NOTHING!

The authorization bill (SB-409) for a passenger rail program passed in the Kansas senate transportation committe yesterday 9-0.

The KDOT legislative liaison spoke before the vote, suggesting that the bill is not needed at this time because the state (KDOT) hasn't determined if the new service is "a good policy and/or feasible, and needed." Senator Hensley spoke up and said "well let's call this bill to a vote." When it passed unanimously, committee chair Senator Umbarger stated, "well that's one way to settle a discussion."

The bill now moves to a vote of the senate, and then gets referred to the House. There are of course many steps necessary to get passenger rail institutionalized in Kansas, and, it could get defeated. The good news is nothing like this has ever been formally proposed and the campaign has been underway and moving forward for two years with growing support.

The Alliance which is pushing for this has some real political saavy (I know one of the leaders), and with good fortune intercity rail service can be restored in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back