Amtrak Newbie(ish) Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I would like to say hi and introduce myself, this is my first time posting. I've been lurking on the boards for the past month or so, as I've been contemplating taking my first Amtrak trip since I was 7 (I'm 23 now). I've decided to go ahead and give it a go riding Amtrak, and I have quite a bit of questions (sorry in advance and my ignorance to Amtrak) that I couldn't find answered in previous posts. Traveling aboard the Silver Meteor.

I will be riding from Palatka, FL to Bridgeport, CT; Is connecting in NYP less of a hassle than WAS?

I've noticed that when booking my trip it is $30 cheaper doing the multi-city option versus the normal option, why is that?

How do I know if my multi-city option is guranteed?

My station is unmanned and has no inside seating I would like to get to the station as late as possible, what would you suggest? Can I call Amtrak on the day of the trip, and ask how late my train is running and base my arrival to the station off that?

I can't check my bags at my station, and I may need to take an extra small bag for personal items, is a small gym bag reasonable to count as a personal item? If not, will my unchecked bags be accesible to me during my travels?

I read somewhere that the dining car is only accesible for those in rooms, those traveling in coach will have to go to the dining "window?"

Is it normal for people traveling in coach, to use the restrooms to freshen up and possibly change clothes?

Finally, other than booking a room, is their a lounge area for those who would like to have a change of scenery (maybe more access to outlets?)

Once, again I apoligize for all the questions, I feel like "that" person. Thanks.

Welcome aboard! I can't answer all of your questions but will take a stab at a few of them...

For arrival info the Amtrak reservation line will give you information on how your train is running on the day you are to depart. HOWEVER, beware of coming to the station too late - trains can make up time between stations, so probably best to be pretty close and keep checking back. There is another web site out there (http://www.amtrakdelays.com/) which will provide a history of the on-time performance of a given train at a given station; that may also help with planning.

For the rest room question, heck yes, the restrooms are there for changing, cleaning up, brushing teeth, etc. No problems on that front. Been a while since I rode coach last, but at least Superliners have at least one changing room area which is a tad larger than the typical rest room.

The dining car is available to all passengers; the trick is that the meal cost is included in the rail fare for sleepers. No such luck for coach. Most trains also have a lounge car that provides lighter "microwave" sandwich snacks, treats, soda, etc. Starvation shouldn't be a worry. Amtrak has been on an outlet kick lately and has retrofitted outlets into most new coach and lounge car rehab jobs, so you should stand at least some chance of having accessible power nearby.

As to the fare question -- ??? -- I don't pretend to understand fares and Amtrak. May have something to do with fare buckets, special discounts for connecting services, or maybe you have good karma from a prior life?

Hopefully that will help you get started on things. Have a great trip, and enjoy yourself!

Forgot one other thing about baggage. if your train has superliners, then there's a luggage rack in the lower level just by the door and stairs, and there are also racks above your seats. Both totally accessible to you during the trip. I have never seen anyone challenged on baggage within reason; two or three bags won't cause issues. Many folks will put clothing and toiletries in their main bag and access it on the way to / from the restrooms, which are on the lower level. A second bag could include your computer, electronics, medications, and snacks. Some folks have carried on small coolers with treats for kids, although that can get a bit messy.

I have quite a bit of questions (sorry in advance and my ignorance to Amtrak) that I couldn't find answered in previous posts. Traveling aboard the Silver Meteor.
I will be riding from Palatka, FL to Bridgeport, CT; Is connecting in NYP less of a hassle than WAS?

I've noticed that when booking my trip it is $30 cheaper doing the multi-city option versus the normal option, why is that?

My station is unmanned and has no inside seating I would like to get to the station as late as possible, what would you suggest? Can I call Amtrak on the day of the trip, and ask how late my train is running and base my arrival to the station off that?

I can't check my bags at my station, and I may need to take an extra small bag for personal items, is a small gym bag reasonable to count as a personal item? If not, will my unchecked bags be accesible to me during my travels?

I read somewhere that the dining car is only accesible for those in rooms, those traveling in coach will have to go to the dining "window?"

Is it normal for people traveling in coach, to use the restrooms to freshen up and possibly change clothes?

Finally, other than booking a room, is their a lounge area for those who would like to have a change of scenery (maybe more access to outlets?)

Once, again I apoligize for all the questions, I feel like "that" person. Thanks.
First off - Welcome! And no need to apologize - we were all newbies at one time. And remember that the only dumb question is the one that you did not ask! ;)

Either NY Penn or Washington is fine, but personally, I like Washington better.

Normally, a connection of about an hour or longer is a guaranteed connection. Perhaps the trains that came to $30 less had a sooner connection. (Example - arrive at 2:15 and depart at 2:30)

Unlike an airport, you do not have to arrive at the train station XX hours ahead! You can call 1-800-USA-RAIL or look online to check the train status.

Although the "limit" on carry-on baggage is 2 pieces per person, I have never seen that strictly enforced. As long as the baggage can easily be carried by you, and are not excessively large (like 6 feet long), you should have no problem. And you can store the bags above your seat. (The area is MUCH bigger than on a plane!)

There may be (80-90% chance) of finding outlets at your seat. The dining car is first come - first served for breakfast, but may be by reservation times for lunch and dinner. It is open to all passengers, but sleeping car passengers get first choice. And yes for the restroom question.

Enjoy your trip!

Welcome aboard! I frequent the Silver Service trains and you should enjoy the Silver Meteor.

Note that from where you will be seated in coach, walking towards the rear (away from the engines) will eventually bring you to the lounge or cafe car. This is available for snacks and a-la-carte selections, and also offers a place to sit for (as you said) a change of scenery or a nice conversation.

Following the cafe car you will encounter the dining car, which is where your more formal sit-down meals with table service can be had. The attendants will likely come through asking if anyone is interested in making reservations for the dining car, though you can feel free to ask them to make a reservation at some point after you've boarded.

There is AMPLE room for just about any carry-on you can physically manage to carry-on, and there are restrooms in each coach car so you shouldn't run into any problems.

I'd say I might see you, but I generally go as far north as DeLand when I travel, so I'd miss you by one stop. I will try to keep my seat spotless, though, in case you are the next assigned occupant! :)

First off I would like to say hi and introduce myself, this is my first time posting. I've been lurking on the boards for the past month or so, as I've been contemplating taking my first Amtrak trip since I was 7 (I'm 23 now). I've decided to go ahead and give it a go riding Amtrak, and I have quite a bit of questions (sorry in advance and my ignorance to Amtrak) that I couldn't find answered in previous posts. Traveling aboard the Silver Meteor.

All good questions.

I prefer to Washington Union to New York Penn, but you might consider transferring at Washington on the way north and at New York on the way south.

Multi-city bookings are not guaranteed.

There is plenty of room for any luggage you can physically carry on. In 28 years of traveling on Amtrak, no one has ever said anything about any luggage I could carry myself, and I've done things like carry on three boxes of books lashed to a luggage carrier. And a suitcase. And a backpack. If that didn't get the hairy eyeball, your luggage won't.

You call call Julie (1-800-USA-RAIL) and find out if your train is on time, but I'd get to the station with plenty of time. You don't want to miss your train.

Along with the lounge and the dining car, you can also bring your own food and nonalcoholic beverages. I'd at least bring a bottle of water and some fruit. Don't forget entertainment (music, books, cards, etc.)

Another thing to bring is a laid-back attitude. Everything might not go right, and when things go wrong you often have to sit in a stopped train with little information and no control. The only control you have in that situation is your own attitude. The train will get there when it gets there, and no sooner.

Unless there is money saving involved, I would go for the New York change in both directions. Reason: The Florida trains are discharge only northbound and receiving only southbound for the portions Washington DC and north. Therefore you wil have a declining passenger load which should make both the meals and the ability to sprawl easier.

As to multi-city: Since there are multiple trains on the northeast corridor portion, missing the planned train is much less and issue than it would be in once or twice a day territory. I would go for the cheaper fare here. Look at the schedule folder and see what the options are for later trains if the nominal connecting train out of New York is missed. It looks like at worst your wait would be not much over one hour.

I would like to thank everyone for their help, your replies have been greatly appreciated. I get more and more excited for my trip (February 11th) as the days pass.

You call call Julie (1-800-USA-RAIL) and find out if your train is on time, but I'd get to the station with plenty of time. You don't want to miss your train.
Careful about that Julie, though... she's a pathological liar. ;)

Usually when that happens, it involves her claiming a train is expected to be on time and it actually turns out to be late.

I have found that this site is usually pretty accurate. If it doesn't seem like it's updating I then go to amtrak.com & click on the status link & check there. Welcome to the board! Don't forget to sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards too.

Careful about that Julie, though... she's a pathological liar. ;)

Usually when that happens, it involves her claiming a train is expected to be on time and it actually turns out to be late.
Well, would you prefer the reverse?

I'm scheduled to arrive at NYP around 11:30ish, and have a connection around 2pm. If I miss that connection, would I be able to catch a later train for no charge?

I'm scheduled to arrive at NYP around 11:30ish, and have a connection around 2pm. If I miss that connection, would I be able to catch a later train for no charge?
Do you mean in New York (NYP) going northbound? :huh:

I hate to say it this way, but maybe and no! In NYP, they have gate agents who check your tickets to be sure that you are boarding the correct train (because so many depart at once). Normally, they do not let you bard train #174 with a ticket for train #179 - you would have to exchange your ticket for the new train first.

The good thing is that the Silver Service trains are discharge only on the NorthEast Corridor (NEC) - and thus can depart as soon as all business is complete while on the NEC. (It does not have to wait for the scheduled time!) Thus it is possible to arrive at NYP like an hour early!

It is possible that because of the bucket system of pricing that the other train may in fact be lower than the one you were booked on!

If you were talking about southbound, don't forget that there are only 2 trains to Florida!

If you have a guaranteed connection, then there is no charge if you have to move to a later train because the first train got there too late to connect with your original train. Depending on the circumstances, they may or may not reticket you. In other words, if next train is more than 30 minutes away from departure, they'll probably have you head to the customer service office to be reticketed. If the next train to Boston is right behind your arriving train, they'll probably just send you directly over to catch that train with your original ticket.

If you're running late, and assuming that the conductor isn't already making announcements about connections over the PA, then head to the cafe car and find your trains conductor just after leaving Philadelphia and ask him/her to please find out what will happen when you reach NY.

I would definitely stay on the train all the way to NYP. A long distance train is always a lot more comfortable than switching to a regional train which just might be packed totally full with Washington-NY traffic. You have much more comfortable roomier seating on the Silver Service train, plus a full lounge car and a diner. Don't know if the diner serves any meals between Washington-NYP though. And the trains from NYP to Bridgeport are usually not packed so it's easy to get a good seat. I live only 15 miles from the Bridgeport station and that's where I start all my Amtrak trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back