Amtrak newbie - Few ticketing questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
**Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this message**

Hi,

I am relatively new to Amtrak. Here is my situation. I am arriving into Newark International Airport at 6pm on Fri AUG 08 on an international flight.

I then want to go via Amtrak from EWR station to PHL. I have a couple of questions.

1) If I book my ticket online, where can I collect the ticket from? I believe I need to show a ticket to get a free ride on the Airport-Station monorail, otherwise it will cost me $5/-

2) I have two medium sized suitcases that I will be carrying and a hand bag.

How do I get from the arrivals hall in Newark International Airport to the EWR Amtrak station (with my luggage)

3) I am planning on buying my Amtrak ticket online (either one way to PHL or round trip). Can you please tell me:

a) Can I cancel the entire trip and what amount of the fare will I receive back if I buy the ticket online and cancel before the travel date?

B) If I buy a roundtrip ticket EWR-PHL-EWR, can I cancel and receive the refund if I do not travel EWR-PHL and yet retrain the PHL-EWR ticket?

c) Is there any option to cancel and receive a refund/credit if I cancel after the train has departed (in case my flight is late which causes me to miss the train and I cannot call before and cancel)

4) Currently I am seeing that my options for EWR-PHL on SEP 08 from ~7pm onwards are:

- Train 137 leaving at 0642pm - Only Business Class at $100

- Train 175 leaving at 0857pm $61 in coach.

Is there nothing in between 0642-0857pm?

5) Is there usually space to carry two 28inch suitcases onboard?

6) Are there any codes that I can use. I tried a few of the codes through the sticky but they seem to be giving me errors. I am quite new at Amtrak ticketing, so please forgive me for the silly questions.

7) How long does the monorail ride from the airport to the station take?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Andy

**Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this message**
Hi,

I am relatively new to Amtrak. Here is my situation. I am arriving into Newark International Airport at 6pm on Fri AUG 08 on an international flight.

I then want to go via Amtrak from EWR station to PHL. I have a couple of questions.

1) If I book my ticket online, where can I collect the ticket from? I believe I need to show a ticket to get a free ride on the Airport-Station monorail, otherwise it will cost me $5/-

2) I have two medium sized suitcases that I will be carrying and a hand bag.

How do I get from the arrivals hall in Newark International Airport to the EWR Amtrak station (with my luggage)

3) I am planning on buying my Amtrak ticket online (either one way to PHL or round trip). Can you please tell me:

a) Can I cancel the entire trip and what amount of the fare will I receive back if I buy the ticket online and cancel before the travel date?

B) If I buy a roundtrip ticket EWR-PHL-EWR, can I cancel and receive the refund if I do not travel EWR-PHL and yet retrain the PHL-EWR ticket?

c) Is there any option to cancel and receive a refund/credit if I cancel after the train has departed (in case my flight is late which causes me to miss the train and I cannot call before and cancel)

4) Currently I am seeing that my options for EWR-PHL on SEP 08 from ~7pm onwards are:

- Train 137 leaving at 0642pm - Only Business Class at $100

- Train 175 leaving at 0857pm $61 in coach.

Is there nothing in between 0642-0857pm?

5) Is there usually space to carry two 28inch suitcases onboard?

6) Are there any codes that I can use. I tried a few of the codes through the sticky but they seem to be giving me errors. I am quite new at Amtrak ticketing, so please forgive me for the silly questions.

7) How long does the monorail ride from the airport to the station take?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Andy
I am new also, but have you tried Amtrak.com? That will give you the schedules and answer lots of questions.

Thanks,

I spoke to Amtrak and had most of these questions answered!

Thanks a lot.

Andy

And I answered all but one of the questions for you on Flyertalk, which I now see you replied to after you started this topc here. :) So I guess you came here first, before checking back at Flyertalk.

The only question I didn't answer was the discount code one. You'll have to try the codes listed there and see if you can get lucky with one that does work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a Continental Empl and have a customer traveling from

2. CO 9404 Train 08APR * NEWARK/NY LIBERTY, NEW JERSEY 11:37PM

1- T Confirmed-HK Wednesday PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA 12:40AM

He is tktd and trying to check in and it keeps giving him invalid train number.

He has been told to call us back but everything looks ok on our side. Who can help him?

I am a Continental Empl and have a customer traveling from 2. CO 9404 Train 08APR * NEWARK/NY LIBERTY, NEW JERSEY 11:37PM

1- T Confirmed-HK Wednesday PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA 12:40AM

He is tktd and trying to check in and it keeps giving him invalid train number.

He has been told to call us back but everything looks ok on our side. Who can help him?
He should probably just get on the train if he already has his tickets in hand. The QuikTrak machine probably can't print those tickets directly, as they weren't reserved by Amtrak.

Perfect timing... I passed through the EWR Amtrak station last week.

You don't need to worry about the Airtrain fee until you get off the Airtrain at the Amtrak station. Once you arrive there, but before you pass through the faregates where the fee is collected, there is a Amtrak ticket counter and QuickTrak machines. So, you can collect your tickets at the EWR Amtrak station, flash the tickets to the attendant in the booth and walk right on down to the platform. The $5 fee is included in your Amtrak ticket, so you won't need to pay when you get on the train.

EDIT: Wow... didn't look at the OP's date when I replied... well, this could still be of use to someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back