Amtrak - NE USA & Florida

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kath2003

Hi guys!

Looking for any hints and tips you all can give me on the following routes:

Washington DC > Philadelphia > Boston > NYC

Miami > Orlando

I'll have tickets before I go (I HOPE!!!) - how early will I need to arrive for my train (because in the UK you just turn up!).

Nice route? Nasty route?

Cheers!

Kath :D

I'm not familiar with the area, but I can tell you about arrival times.

I recommend for you to come about an hour before arrival time if you have checked baggage. If not, come like half hour early. Beware that most stations are unstaffed so you'll have to carry with you into train. If station are unstaffed, there's no waiting time to come. On schedule sheet, trains cannot leave earlier than arrival time on sheet. If train comes early, then it has to wait until the posted time.

The MIA-Orlando run is covered by two trains daily. One leaves around 10, and the other around noon. Its about a 5 hour ride (maybe more depending on the day). Both stations are staffed. Scenery in south florida is pretty industrialized, while north of west palm the scenery becomes alot of orange groves and other agricultural land.

WAS and NYP are definately staffed, as they are huge stations. If you're familiar with their layouts (it sounds like you're not), then 15 minutes is enough time to collect your tickets and board. Otherwise, plan for 30 minutes.

My experience with these two stations is that you will have to wait in a line to board the train, and these lines can appear long. However, they really are not long compared to the capacity of the train. Because the trains originate in NYP and WAS, and many passengers are picked up at the intermediate stations, you shouldn't have to worry about getting a seat. The train will probably only be 1/2 full when it leaves NYP or WAS.

Thanks guys. I'll be travelling with as little as possible in a backpack, and I have no intention checking my baggage in on the plane over from the UK, let alone on the trains :D

In the UK there's no option of checking on baggage - you have to lug it on and off the train yourself or leave it behind!!

Back