Amtrak named one of 'America's Best Employers'

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Amtrak named one of “America’s Best Employers”

Amtrak received a spot on the Forbes "America's Best Employers 2015" list.
Amtrak is on the list of 500 employers across 25 industries where the workers like their jobs enough to tell others. Listed under the transportation and logistics category, Amtrak was chosen based on Forbes' independent survey of 30,000 workers throughout the U.S. to see which companies were best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak certainly must be a good place to work; excellent working conditions, low stress, free meals, free travel, great hours, solid pension, competitive wages, high tips (SCA, FSA, Red Cap)) and you will never die from overwork.

My first thought upon reading the title to this thread was, "April Fools' Day isn't until tomorrow."

Amtrak certainly must be a good place to work; excellent working conditions, low stress, free meals, free travel, great hours, solid pension, competitive wages, high tips (SCA, FSA, Red Cap)) and you will never die from overwork.
You clearly do not know a lot of people who work for Amtrak. The one's I knew worked very hard, crazy hours, high stress, poor support, and none of them got tips (other than the occasional suggestion to find another job). It's amazing how many people think that Amtrak only has people in front of the curtain. That is the tip of the iceberg.

Not sure where you got the idea that meals or travel is free. But that's far from the truth and I really pity crews on the western trains that die on the law at times.

Not sure where you got the idea that meals or travel is free. But that's far from the truth and I really pity crews on the western trains that die on the law at times.
Amtrak claims it's free.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satellite?SnippetName=IBLegacy&pagename=am/AM_Snippet_C/SnippetWrapper&ibsref=CareersBenefits

Rail Privileges

You're working for America's railroad, so of course you should see America whenever you can. Our employee travel benefits are for you to use and enjoy responsibly. You, your spouse and eligible dependents are entitled to unlimited rail transportation on Amtrak. Privileges are subject to space availability and in accordance with policy guidelines.

You can also take advantage of deals and discounts from other travel industry providers from time to time — including hotels, car rentals and vacation activities. Always use your privileges appropriately, exercise good judgment and follow Amtrak policy.

> WASHINGTON – Amtrak received recognition for workplace excellence by
> earning a spot in Forbes magazine’s first-ever America’s Best
> Employers 2015.

-Amtrak Media Relations

That might sound good...until you see that Amtrak placed at #401
and the list includes 500 companies. Still, at least Amtrak
placed on the list, even if in the bottom 20%.

If there are going to be 500 "winners", that sounds like one
of those contests where almost everybody wins.

Forbes doesn't say what the criteria were for inclusion, nor how
many beyond 500 qualified for consideration.

Among Class One USA railroads, Amtrak landed in the bottom half.

Others in the transportation sector; four Class Ones scored
higher than Amtrak, and four big-city transportation agencies:

18. Southwest Airlines
19. JetBlue
33. SEPTA
49. MBTA
54. Union Pacific
62. Ryder Transportation
93. Alaska Air Group
105. Greyhound
164. BNSF
169. FedEx Freight
172. CSX
211. Old Dominion Freight
238. Delta Air Lines
242. FedEx Express
307. NYMTA
324. BART
337. Veolia
358. Con-Way
362. Norfolk Southern
365. Schneider
389. United Parcel Service
426. SkyWest
496. American Airlines

Amtrak could spin this like many other companies do, and simply claim that it rank #1 as the best national passenger railroad company for which to work.

True. Forbes does give out some details, but the final ranking is created using Glassdoors proprietary algorithm.

What I find interesting is that one of the major criteria is the employers business outlook for the next six months. I would think that anyone's examination of Amtrak's outlook for profits would result in Amtrak being excluded from the list. I mean, does anyone here feel that Amtrak would have a good strong profit showing over the next six months?

True. Forbes does give out some details, but the final ranking is created using Glassdoors proprietary algorithm.

What I find interesting is that one of the major criteria is the employers business outlook for the next six months. I would think that anyone's examination of Amtrak's outlook for profits would result in Amtrak being excluded from the list. I mean, does anyone here feel that Amtrak would have a good strong profit showing over the next six months?
I thought this was based on employee satisfaction, not profits, etc.

Amtrak claims it's free.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Satellite?SnippetName=IBLegacy&pagename=am/AM_Snippet_C/SnippetWrapper&ibsref=CareersBenefits

Rail Privileges

You're working for America's railroad, so of course you should see America whenever you can. Our employee travel benefits are for you to use and enjoy responsibly. You, your spouse and eligible dependents are entitled to unlimited rail transportation on Amtrak. Privileges are subject to space availability and in accordance with policy guidelines.

You can also take advantage of deals and discounts from other travel industry providers from time to time — including hotels, car rentals and vacation activities. Always use your privileges appropriately, exercise good judgment and follow Amtrak policy.
I don't see where that says anything about free meals. As for free travel, yes possible, but not always practical.

Note the policy guidelines can be strict. From talking to employees, the free travel (for example on an LD train) is fairly tightly controlled (as in you often can't get it unless you're very flexible in dates, to the point that the one employee I had spoken to had decided it was easier to pay for her particular trip.)

Same goes on things like Acela.

So yes, you may get free travel, but it's often restricted to the point it's not necessarily worth it.

What free travel! My wife and I are both 30+ year Amtrak employees (retired, but our pass privileges are the same as current employees) can only be confident about using our passes to go between Chicago and Milwaukee. For instance, my last long distance trip was to the gathering in Emeryville CA from Chicago and it cost me $2,200+ for railfare.

Wiith regard to diagura's statement about excellent working conditions, low stress I wish he would like to try to rewire an elecrical control panel under an Amfleet car when the temperature is -27 and you are using # 24 wire. It is so small that you cannot wear anything but latex gloves to protect your hands.

Maybe he would like to replace a 480 volt cable that is preventing the power to go to the train at Fargo with -35 and the heat shrink insulation can not go enough heat fro your propane torch to shrink. A dark train that will freeze up in 20 minutes if you don't get the 480 power back on. No stress there.

Competitive wages, that is a laugh for 11 years from 1981 to 1992 the shopcraft employees received only a $0.06 raise, yes six cents. I was involved in negotiations for the next several contracts and can tell you that Amtrak wages are less than all organized commuter lines.

I know that I have left, but everyone that I have talked to that still work there say it is worse than ever.

I wonder if the evaluation team was in Colorado testing some of the fastest growing crop!

Either dlagrua was making a joke (my first impression) or he is woefully misinformed.

The poll had to do with whether they liked the job well enough to tell others. When jobs are hard for your friends to find, that does not necessarily translate into job satisfaction.

I'm sure John is right about the split between labor and management. As many of you know, I worked for Amtrak for a lot of years. Did I like my job? Yes. Did I like my customers? Yes. Did I like my co-workers? Yes. Did I tell others about it and suggest they apply? Yes. Did I like my bosses? Over the years, in many cases, yes.

Did I like the Company, and ALL of my bosses, and all of the Company's practices & policies, and did I have a great sense of job satisfaction?

.................hmmmmm...................let me get back to you on that one.

Tom

Most Amtrak staff are better paid and receive more perks than the majority of jobs created in today's trickle down economy. I can't speak for the folks working behind the scenes or from previous eras, but I can say that I've seen plenty of customer facing Amtrak staff today who appeared to have little to do, little to fear, and little if any desire to impress. Before we fall victim to reactionary pendulum logic perhaps we should consider the ever shrinking list of the average coach attendant's duties and their growing reluctance to meet or exceed expectations while performing the few tasks that still remain. I have a higher set of expectations for coach attendants on a two hour flight than I do for those on a two day train ride. I don't doubt that the long hours eventually catch up with you, or that watching your employer routinely face the prospect of defunding would be a major motivation drain, but all in all I would consider an average Amtrak job to be good money for the level of work and education required.

For those without a degree an OBS or Support job with Amtrak is a big step above a minimum wage, no benefit McJob!

As for the pay, it might seem high to those that live in low wage states and where the cost of living is low, but the average OBS starts at a wage that's about half the average wage here in Austin and definitely less than that in high tax/high cost of living places like the NE, Chicago and the West Coast!

As others have said, it can be an excellent career, but you earn every penny, and it does take a toll on your health and personal life that makes it a job that's not for everyone!

Is Amtrak one of the top 500 Places to work in the US? For sure it is for some, for most probably not!!

Wait wait wait, SEPTA scored in the top 100? I think that's the real story here. ("Society to Eliminate Public Transit Altogether".)

MBTA scored scads higher than Amtrak. I don't know personally anyone who does or has worked at Amtrak but having grown up in Boston I did get to know MBTA workers and it is a stressful and sometimes hellacious place to work.

The story here is that Americans are stressed and unsatisfied at work and don't like their employers. Americans live shorter lives than people in other 1st world countries despite spending more on healthcare. Our long hours and financial insecurity probably have a lot to do with that.

Good or bad, depending on one's viewpoint, I think the bottom line is....if Amtrak were to place a 'want ad' for employment in a newspaper, the result will be huge crowds applying...so some folks think it might be a good place to work. It is only when they are safely beyond the 'probationary period', their opinion may change... ;)

I thought this was based on employee satisfaction, not profits, etc.
It seems that Forbes (Glassdoors) feels that working for a company that is successful, is a part of employee satisfaction. Regardless of our view, it is part of their stated criteria.

I have worked for company(ies) that have gone thru rough times financially, and yes indeed, such does have a pronounced negative affect on employee moral. So, I do see why its included by them.

Fortune has a slightly different take on what makes "great companies to work for."

The ultimate sign you’re working for a great company

Fortune’s annual “100 Best Companies to Work For” list provides useful insights into how we collectively view corporate culture. Most of us flip through the pages or click through the screens hovering over pictures and blurbs highlighting gourmet chefs, nap rooms, yoga instructors and other signifiers of “great” workplaces.
That said, the true “Best Companies to Work For” have the right culture and aren’t just great workplaces.

I see that there are people here that disagreed with my comments. They were made taking into account our experiences on the many LD trips that we have taken and only apply to the onboard service crews. It would be unfair to comment on the work/repair crews as I have not been among them.

The benefit packages offered to Amtrak employees far exceed what is provided in the private sector, the wages are competitive for people with equal education backgrounds the workload and stress level at least seems far less that what I have experienced in the private sector. Do the onboard staff have quotas, are they required to meet performance standards, and if so who insures that they do? Its a system that permits mediocrity. Amtrak is a really secure place to be employed.

While the vast majority of our experiences with SCA's and FSA's has been positive, I can also honestly say that I have seen some behavior by a few employees on Amtrak, that if they worked for a private corporation would be immediately terminated. The low stress level that I alluded to comes from the job security that these employees enjoy. They can slip, slide, be rude break the rules, be incompetent and still enjoy security. Again those employees are the minority but within the system you will see a wide variation in work performance and little effort is devoted towards standardization and improvement. It also doesn't help when no incentive is offered to the people who excel.

I see that there are people here that disagreed with my comments. They were made taking into account our experiences on the many LD trips that we have taken and only apply to the onboard service crews. It would be unfair to comment on the work/repair crews as I have not been among them.

The benefit packages offered to Amtrak employees far exceed what is provided in the private sector, the wages are competitive for people with equal education backgrounds the workload and stress level at least seems far less that what I have experienced in the private sector. Do the onboard staff have quotas, are they required to meet performance standards, and if so who insures that they do? Its a system that permits mediocrity. Amtrak is a really secure place to be employed.

While the vast majority of our experiences with SCA's and FSA's has been positive, I can also honestly say that I have seen some behavior by a few employees on Amtrak, that if they worked for a private corporation would be immediately terminated. The low stress level that I alluded to comes from the job security that these employees enjoy. They can slip, slide, be rude break the rules, be incompetent and still enjoy security. Again those employees are the minority but within the system you will see a wide variation in work performance and little effort is devoted towards standardization and improvement. It also doesn't help when no incentive is offered to the people who excel.
What this really means is that most American companies are screwing over their employees. But that's what people get when they vote for politicians who support "right to work" legislation. By the way, how do you know that Amtrak employees who screw up are not fired or disciplined? Unless you work in Amtrak's personnel department you don't know, do you? Who's going fire a coach attendant on the spot in front of you. The conductor? He doesn't have that power. Hopefully such matters work their way through the personnel structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back